Lightest weight spinning rod

• Connor Erhardt

Im looking for a trout fishing rod over 7’ long with a light or ultra light action. Im going to be carrying it for a couple miles and doing alot of “euro” style jigging often so light weight is key. Every rod i look at for the most part doesnt show the weight anywhere on any site. I have plenty of nice bass rods that weight 5oz and others that are 3oz that look identical but it makes a huge difference after 6 hours. If someone could give some ideas on nice light rods that are in the 100-200 range or cheaper id appreciate it. Thank you!

Pitter patter

Temple fork outfitters makes a great rod. I have an ul 6’6” rod that is amazing for trout and panfish. They make a 7 fter that weighs in at 3.4 ounces

Jimmy Jones

Check out the St. Croix Panfish series of rods. I have two of the 7 foot models and they’re light in weight, super nice rods. $120.00 -$140.00.

tswoboda

What is Euro style jigging? Sounds like, but I’m guessing it’s not, the same thing as Euro nymphing because that is done with a 10’+ fly rod

Connor Erhardt

Basically the same exact thing but no sighter line or 11’ rod. Usually use a little crappie jig or trout magnet and tight line around undercut banks or deep current spots. When i didnt have the money for a euro rod years ago i would use a 8 foot fly rod and use 25lb mono line as fly line and i did alot better than most guys nymphing with floats. But i like to use spinners in alot of the spots on the creek i fish so a spinning rod works better.

Riverrat

k and E Whip’R Rod. About 4 ounces. Has a super light tip for jigging thats about a foot of the rod. I think its called the Whip”r Panfish or something like that.

MX1825

St. Croix used to have rod weights on their website. When I checked they no longer post the weight.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I personally think balance will affect the strain on your wrist more than a couple of oz difference in weight. Grab your rod in your hand like you are fishing. Keep your index where it is and swing the rod to be perpendicular to your finger. Does the rod sit perfectly horizontally? Sometimes you may want a bit of a heavier tip.(very slow fall to the tip) Some like this for a jerk bait rod. I prefer all my rods to be perfectly balanced.

edit: I can jig my rods by only moving my index finger and middle finger on a 8’ rod with ease.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I personally think balance will affect the strain on your wrist more than a couple of oz difference in weight. Grab your rod in your hand like you are fishing. Keep your index where it is and swing the rod to be perpendicular to your finger. Does the rod sit perfectly horizontally? Sometimes you may want a bit of a heavier tip. Some like this for a jerk bait rod. I prefer all my rods to be perfectly balanced.

This is how I judge rods also. Balance is more important I agree but the weight is why I feel I like my Loomis’s compared to my Croix’s. I would have mentioned looking into G loomis rods but they are out of your budget.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

^ I agree weight plays a part. Just saying I would take a 5 oz heavier balanced rod vs 5 oz lighter rod with a heave tip.

Jimmy Jones

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    I personally think balance will affect the strain on your wrist more than a couple of oz difference in weight. Grab your rod in your hand like you are fishing. Keep your index where it is and swing the rod to be perpendicular to your finger. Does the rod sit perfectly horizontally? Sometimes you may want a bit of a heavier tip. Some like this for a jerk bait rod. I prefer all my rods to be perfectly balanced.

This is how I judge rods also. Balance is more important I agree but the weight is why I feel I like my Loomis’s compared to my Croix’s. I would have mentioned looking into G loomis rods but they are out of your budget.

Nothing on this planet is more tiring than a rod that doesn’t balance. I have had a couple 7 foot St.Croix Panfish rods for a few years now and used Sahara 1000 series reels on them. While I loved the rods set up with the Saharas I always thought they were a bit tip heavy so I bought a 1000 series Shimano Nassci[?] and hung it on one and bingo, perfect balance. I put the same reel on the other and they are by far my most pet rods on open water for crappie. Before the new reels a couple hours of casting would have my wrist almost aching from trying to keep the tip up.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Before the new reels a couple hours of casting would have my wrist almost aching from trying to keep the tip up.

The older I get the more this holds true, and I’m not even that old. jester

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“The older I get the more this holds true, and I’m not even that old.”

Hang on to that line. It will come in handy the rest of your life! rotflol

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.