LED light strips for boat

• bassh8er

I put these on my fish house this year and loved them. I was thinking of running some of the same strips on my boat and was wondering if anybody has done this and where they put them?

I put them overhead in my fish house and they work awesome but want some advice on where to position them on my boat so they don’t get damaged and aren’t too bright to stare at.

I’ve got an older model 17’ Bass Tracker, FYI.

munchy
    NULL

I placed red led strips under the bow gunnels and helm on my boat. Helps illuminate the floor but doesn’t kill your night vision.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

There really isn’t a place you can’t put em. Figure out what’s gonna work for you and have at it.

Some places I’d think about putting them for sure would be as said bow gunwhales, rear gunwhales, livewell, storage locker(not all but perhaps one used alot), etc.

Key is to direct the light on floor , not up. Everytime you look down you don’t want your eyes jacked. Less is more.

munchy
    NULL

I should also mention any unapproved lights on the exterior of the boat are illegal according to coast guard regulations. So keep them inside and hidden from exterior view.

bigpike

I have them running under my gunwale all the way around my boat. They are hard wired into a switch. Great for night fishing. Not sure why anyone would mount them on the outside of your boat?

munchy
    NULL

Not sure why anyone would mount them on the outside of your boat?

Because they can?

All of these boats are considered illegal if the lights are turned on while on the water at night.

Attachments:
    1. 06401169-9156-4FD8-BEC2-E3CA9D66F133.jpeg

2. 49D208B0-F254-48CA-B45C-AF3742236E35.jpeg

3. 25A97808-5CDB-4E14-8F13-7F515E187D7D.jpeg

4. 1FA970B7-7845-4A64-ACEA-A04D4E635FE1.jpeg

bigpike

You should catch these hoodlums and report them to the coast guard…I guess I’m just practical but thanks for making us aware of this

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So the 4th picture those wouldn’t be considered your marker lights on the bow? I believe most of the new boats those lights are built in. I think because of all the trolling motors they have done away with the front “pole” lights haven’t they?

tim hurley

I would want lights that don’t kill my night vision and do not attract bugs!

tim hurley

( did’nt think about bugs in your ice shack didja )

bigpike

The lights under the gunwale are soft and light the bottom of the boat more than in your face, also they easily can be shut down if you move. Not sure how you’ll keep the bugs away from lights though. I’ll see if I can get you a few pictures of my set up tonight.

munchy
    NULL

So the 4th picture those wouldn’t be considered your marker lights on the bow? I believe most of the new boats those lights are built in. I think because of all the trolling motors they have done away with the front “pole” lights haven’t they?

Those lights aren’t CG approved. They need to have a specific viewable angle. The built-in ones are made exactly for the given angle of the bow.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

I have heard, but don’t know if it is true, that led lights don’t attract bugs as much for some odd reason. No uv light or because of less heat. I don’t know the correct reason or if it’s true.
    I do know that led lights on gas station canopies don’t draw as many bugs as other types of lighting.

bassh8er

Thanks guys. As for below the gunwale, do you mount the lights down, toward the floor, or out, towards the center of the boat?

Thanks again for the help.

munchy
    NULL

Thanks guys. As for below the gunwale, do you mount the lights down, toward the floor, or out, towards the center of the boat?

Thanks again for the help.

However you can get it to work to allow for the most light on the floor without getting into your eyes. Try and hide it under ledges as much as possible.

BORGHY
    NULL

My boat has LED’s in the side compartments and shine on the floor.

Attachments:
    1. CB798884-EB9B-46F6-8B85-D6D286771ABB.jpeg

2. 4DB5AF0E-7D7F-4619-9FD3-444B20C524D5.jpeg

djshannon
    Crosslake

On my 1981 Lund, I have amber LED strip lights mounted to the underside of the inside edge of the bow plate and the front edge of the rear bench top.

I selected amber to reduce bug attraction, for the same reason most yellow/amber bulb are sold as bug lights.

Red Eye

Where did you guys get your LEDs from? Any brand or colors that are better/worse? How long were the strips? Thinking of doing this in my pro guide.

Kyhl
    Savage

Bugs are able to see shorter wavelengths more easily so you want to avoid them. Blue and green lights are shorter wavelengths. Yellow, orange, and red are preferred for their longer wavelengths.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have heard, but don’t know if it is true, that led lights don’t attract bugs as much for some odd reason. No uv light or because of less heat. I don’t know the correct reason or if it’s true.

Put on your white led headlamp and see what happens. Bugs love it.

Red seems to be the color of choice. Doesn’t destroy night vision and not a homing beacon for bugs.

As others have said, some place that doesn’t have line of sight to your eyes. Under gunwales, helms, livewells, etc.

I did it once, loved it. Have the lights and mounting project scheduled for April on my newer to me boat.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I purchased my Yellow/Amber LED strip lights off of ebay in a 5 meter strip.

“5M 300 LED 3528 SMD Amber Yellow Waterproof Flexible LED Light Lamp Strip DC 12V” $6.95 free shipping. US seller.

You can cut to desired length at ever third light. With a little solder skill you can attach some new power wires, heat shrink the new connection and create another strip.

5 meters was enough for my ’81 Lund. I probably have about half of it left.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.