leafgaurd gutters

• gregory
    Red wing,mn

I have new gutters and they continue to plug with leafs, i have some trees that pretty shed all summer and im cleaning them all summer, so i think its time to install something. so im looking for some advice on what works the best. thanks

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also interested. What is the ave cost per foot?

-J.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Billy and I tried those screens you pop into the gutters from Menards and they didn’t work the best. We ended up taking them out and just going back to cleaning out the gutters as needed. Our neighbor has the Leafguard system on her house and she seems satisfied with it. I’m not sure what costs look like.

B-man

They make foam inserts that go into your existing gutters. I’d look into them if your current ones are in good shape.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We had Leaf Guard gutters installed 15 years ago and I’d never have a house without them again. We have big maple trees so we have a ton of leaves and helicopters.

I have never cleaned a gutter since we got the Leafgaud gutters. Pretty much says it all.

I’m talking about the full cap gutters where water follows the curve of the cap and then goes into the gutter. Leaves and junk can’t get in.

Grouse

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The newest and best thing out there right now are the micro screens. They address most all the issues seen with the other styles. I just put on new gutters and was hoping I could do without but it seems I am going to need something if I want clean gutters. At least most leaf/debris guards are easy to install yourself. They charge more than the gutters to install these things but they are easier….don’t get it.

wormdunker

I got the Easy On leaf guards from Costco about 3 years ago, currently it sells for $165/100′ They are the micro mesh type. I put them on myself, it was a breeze.

I have White Birch, River birch, Oak, Maple and Blue spruce debris falling on them. They have been awesome, nothing collects. Even the small blue spruce needles shed off, no problems in the winter.

Cant say enough about them, the only thing to remember is the more that sheds off your roof, the more you have to rake, blow or sweep from the ground.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

We bought some of Amazon and we have no issues with them after two seasons. You need to buy the screens with the smallest holes you can find. Our issue was them pesky helicopters and the screens work.

Pauleye
    Onamia

I put gutter helmet on 20 years ago. They have worked flawless since. I would recommend them to anyone.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Do some research on the web about Leaf Guard before you commit those dollars. They rely on surface tension to draw the water into the gutter after running over the cover. They work great when new. When the gutter top gets dirty the surface tension properties change and the water just runs over the top and over the gutter side. You may end up cleaning the gutter tops themselves to restore the surface tension of the top.

‘CCO has the Leaf Guard guy from Minnesota on a show on Saturday morning. A gal got on the air who had them install the system. She carefully and clearly explained the situation with dirt and surface tension and said she had this problem. The guy never even tried to answer the question.

I looked very hard at them, but some of my gutters are 22’ up over a driveway. I didn’t want to take the chance with the dirt issue and cleaning the tops of my gutter…besides the ridiculous price. Ended up with the diamond screens. They have served me well.

roger

They do not work! Lot of leaves sitting on mine. They get dirty and the dirt and grime just builds up. I have maples and they can be a mess! Gutter helmet is the only way and there is another one with kind of the same concept. Screens of any kind are junk if you have trees around.

404 ERROR
    MN

Haven’t found a single solution for a honey locust tree…those tiny little leaves pile up on every sort of guard we’ve ever tried. I now just clean them occasionally and blow the pressure washer in the downspouts to clear debris…

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Thanks for all the input!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Seeing that you live in Redwing.
    Give Foxguard Gutter a look.
    I’ve used them twice with 0 complaints
    Local company that does professional work and stands behind their products

https://www.fox-guard.com/

CaptainMusky

The newest and best thing out there right now are the micro screens. They address most all the issues seen with the other styles. I just put on new gutters and was hoping I could do without but it seems I am going to need something if I want clean gutters. At least most leaf/debris guards are easy to install yourself. They charge more than the gutters to install these things but they are easier….don’t get it.

I had new gutters installed last Spring and had a product like this installed. No issues whatsoever with getting clogged up, BUT head’s up, in the winter as snow builds up be sure to rake snow from the bottom edge of the roof. Why? Because the sun will melt and the top of the gutter covers freeze and then you will have dripping OVER the gutters.
    Once I raked the bottom 2 feet or so of the roof I never had the problem again.
    Regarding cost, for 160 ft of gutter, installation and materials were around $6 per foot.
    Leaf Guard while nice, is FAR more than that. My neighbor was quoted several thousand dollars for his covers.
    The product I purchased is this:
    https://www.fullfledgedonline.com/xtreme.html

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

I had new gutters installed last Spring and had a product like this installed. No issues whatsoever with getting clogged up, BUT head’s up, in the winter as snow builds up be sure to rake snow from the bottom edge of the roof. Why? Because the sun will melt and the top of the gutter covers freeze and then you will have dripping OVER the gutters.
    Once I raked the bottom 2 feet or so of the roof I never had the problem again.
    Regarding cost, for 160 ft of gutter, installation and materials were around $6 per foot.
    Leaf Guard while nice, is FAR more than that. My neighbor was quoted several thousand dollars for his covers.
    The product I purchased is this:
    https://www.fullfledgedonline.com/xtreme.html

Good info, thanks. I was looking at something really close to that, best I found is 1.75 a foot from Home Depot that I would install myself.

CaptainMusky

Good info, thanks. I was looking at something really close to that, best I found is 1.75 a foot from Home Depot that I would install myself.

Yeah, I actually ordered some from Home Depot, then later returned after I found these at the local store. I really like them. I hate being on the roof and since I was having all new siding, windows, doors, soffit, facia, gutters installed already, they just did the work while they were up there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.