Leadcore Trolling

• Erek Rogstad
    Cottage Grove

Been getting into leadcore more and more and still trying to dial things in. When they say that one color of line gets you down around 7ft at 2mph keep in mind im talking 832 suffix. Are they talking one color all the way out into water or when your letting one full color out are you just letting it out to the end of rod? Just looking for people thoughts on this? How long of leader are you using? Mono? Fluro? Or Braid for leader? Thanks

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

All I can sat is, yup.

You brought up quite a few things that will affect dive depth. You also didn’t mention current, wind speed, wind direction, wave height, and varying speeds. I’m not sure how precise you’re trying to be but I don’t believe there is any way to let your line out one time and know exactly where your lure is within +-6″.

My point is there are so many variables that can change in the same body of water every time out that you simply can’t trust one simple formula. That’s what makes us human.

I think you’ll be close to 7′ per color but you really need to be observant of every detail every time out. Is it dragging bottom? What happens if I let 5 more feet out? What happens if I troll into the wind? Down wind? Cross wind? How much lure drag? Etc…

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Depth is calculated by the amount of lead in the water. The easiest way to get dialed in is to troll the desired depth until your lures start ticking bottom. Mark the amount of line out either with a line counter or where your colors are and then repeat. Leader length and materials vary by application. In the Spring I start fishing muddy rivers so I run 6′ of 10 lb. Fireline for a leader. Once I transition to clear lakes I’m usually running a 30-50′ 10 lb. Vanish leader. The reason I run those lengths is because I’ve done it for years and I know how much line I need out for all of the different lures I use.

Adam Nagorski

I do this same thing. Find the depth I want the lure to run, make it tick bottom, then reproduce the line length in the area I want to be fishing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.