late spring/early summer tactics

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Had a decent weekend yesterday fished the wind side it was rough but the wife and I got 49 bass. Some were tanks she used wacky worms. I’m still learning the Texas rig not sure if it was the right way but it got lot’s of fish tried a jig and nothing. I would cast it out and let it flutter down usually that’s when they would get it if nothing Just slithered it back in the weeds and got some as well used chigger craws mostly. The day before was about the same with the wife getting 2 Smallies she sure had fun with those and another bonus walleye 24 inch. All from 3-6 FOW. Was rough riding the waves back hurts today. smirk

Sounds like you had a fun outing and got the wife on some fish. Always fun learning a new technique as well. I use to fish a Texas rig a ton. I may have to try it a little more this summer as well. I’m still a horrible jig fishermen and every year say I’m going to force myself to fish them more but never seem to do so.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mr Pike, there are many ways to work it, but I usually let a Texas rig fall to the bottom, then lift the rod up and let it fall again. Usually gets hit on the bottom. However the way you were doing it is a technique I had a guide in FL get me on fish with. Used a long ribbon tail worm and slowly worked it through weed flats. I’m glad you said that because I told myself to give that a try here and I forgot!

FryDog62

Mr Pike, there are many ways to work it, but I usually let a Texas rig fall to the bottom, then lift the rod up and let it fall again. Usually gets hit on the bottom. However the way you were doing it is a technique I had a guide in FL get me on fish with. Used a long ribbon tail worm and slowly worked it through weed flats. I’m glad you said that because I told myself to give that a try here and I forgot!

I go back & forth between Texas-rigging and Free-rigging. When the fish are mostly hitting the plastic on the slow descent to the bottom or once it settles, on a few lift & drops I do prefer the Free Rig. If they are ambushing in and out of the weed line, then Texas rig all the way.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

I go back & forth between Texas-rigging and Free-rigging. When the fish are mostly hitting the plastic on the slow descent to the bottom or once it settles, on a few lift & drops I do prefer the Free Rig. If they are ambushing in and out of the weed line, then Texas rig all the way.

Hey Frydog, you back in Minnesota ? We will have to try and get together again this summer to fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the Frydog moved to South Carolina.

FryDog62

I know I’d like to be in NE South Dakota these days!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I know I’d like to be in NE South Dakota these days!!

Great place to be. That said, where are you currently living these days? Last I knew you were spending winter months in a warmer location, but thought still returning to Minnesota for at least part of the summer.

FryDog62

Yeah it’s a bit like Where’s Waldo lol…. But Gim is right, we are likely moving to upstate South Carolina late this summer. My daughter is planning on getting married and moving there soon and one of my sons is likely going that direction too. Maybe still spend a month in the winter in Florida and some time back in Minn (or SoDak ) in the summers. Virtual work and kayak & trailer in tow…

mrpike1973

Boy what a week makes! Worst weekend yet. 4 different lakes all weed choked. No great defined weed edges fished slop, edges even tried pitching. We got 4 bass total. Struck out on 2 lakes very dirty the wind was horrid. Only went to lakes with landings on northwest side. Lakes I don’t know real well. Tried anyway those days drive you nuts.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

lakes all weed choked

I noticed a significant increase in weed growth the past week too. I caught about a dozen fish on Saturday, biggest being about 3 pounds. Anywhere I could get a lure through the jungle seemed to generate at least a few bites. Fish are definitely post spawn now seeing how skinny some of them were compared to just a couple weeks ago. Water temp was 71 degrees.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Finally started getting some better ones on the outside weed line on Tx rigged chigger craws. Docks are picking up, too, up here.

mrpike1973

Tougher week again for me the bass are starting to set up on weed edges but all caught were on the edges but in the weeds. Mostly Neko and Ned rigging some on Texas rigs. 2 lakes we did ok clearer water. Then 2 lakes were dirty and high water did not do well and did not stay long. Waiting for the rain and Sunday won’t go out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I caught 13 largemouth this morning, all on plastics. Nothing bigger than 17.5 inches. Water temp is 73.5 degrees.

Might be time to close this thread and start a summer pattern one being that it’s gonna be 90 degrees tomorrow and the spawn is over.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Other than a couple random dock bass, the only thing that caught them for me this week was a 3.25 paddletail swimbait on a white headed swimbait hook. Medium depth over/through the weeds. Fish seem to be still hanging around the post spawn transition areas but are likely schooling up on weed edges and main lake structure after this heat wave.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have not been out chasing bass in over 2 weeks now. That’s probably the longest period of time I’ve gone before in the summer months. Looking forward to getting back out there after them soon. From the sounds of things I’ve not been missing a hot bite at all. The deeper weedline bite should really heat up soon I’d think. That’s my favorite pattern to fish anyway. That and deeper rocks, which should start to kick in soon as well.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I started a new thread for bass fishing under summer patterns. Use that one now if you would, thanks.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

My timing was off in the first half of June. I had many subpar trips either in the length of time I could fish or the number of fish caught. It seems like every time I want to be out I can’t be for some reason and when I do get an extended trip the fish are shut down, frustrating. It doesn’t help that injured my lower back on the 5th making it painful to sit or bend down. I have only caught over ten bass in a trip just once this month so far. The worst June I have had in a very very long time.

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.