late spring/early summer tactics

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lost a jerkbait and a chatterbait, and didn’t catch a bass over 2 pounds? Lol that is a rough night. Those pike are an endless assault on tackle aren’t they.

It was very rough. I didn’t prefish and neither did the boys. That doesn’t help

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My last outing the Swim Jig caught the most fish. Fished it in the reeds, on the edge of the reeds, and out slightly deeper in 5-7Ft of water on weed flats. About a equal mix of fish on the weightless stickbait and the swim jig. Just came down to if you wanted to fish slow with the weightless setup or power fish fast wirh the chunk and reel swim jig.

Mikey

Wow! Nice catches there!

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I fished from 3 to 9 pm on Thursday evening and had fun catching 1 to 2lbers. I got 48 bass for the trip and the biggest was maybe 2.66lbs. I thought I had forgotten my scale, but what I had really forgotten was that I put the scale in a side zipper pocket in a tackle bag I brought with, duh! I caught most of the bass on the Houdini-colored TurboFattyZ; I got a few on a Terminator Poppin’ Frog, and 14 bass on a 105-size Shower Blows. One of those Shower Blows got stolen by a pike.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Had a great morning yesterday. Caught over 30 bass in a few hours with a handful of bass in the 3-4 lb range. I lost one at the boat that was 4.5-5. That one hurt. Caught a couple on a Magdraft, all the rest came on new emergent grass. Had to be green though.

It was probably a better day than I had all of last year. Hopefully it’s a much better year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Caught a couple on a Magdraft, all the rest came on new emergent grass.

What was the lure of choice other than the Mag? And where about were you fishing and what was the water temp?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Caught a couple on a Magdraft, all the rest came on new emergent grass.

What was the lure of choice other than the Mag? And where about were you fishing and what was the water temp?

Weightless wacky rig. Like I posted above, edges of new emergent reeds and grass. Water temps mid 60s.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Great, thanks

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

One thing I haven’t seen is fish on beds. Monday, I saw tons of males and females cruising the shallows but no new beds and no fish on beds. Yesterday up shallow were mostly small males with some big females mixed in. But still no new beds found. I find it hard to believe it’s still prespawn but it sure is fishing that way.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One thing I haven’t seen is fish on beds. Monday, I saw tons of males and females cruising the shallows but no new beds and no fish on beds. Yesterday up shallow were mostly small males with some big females mixed in. But still no new beds found. I find it hard to believe it’s still prespawn but it sure is fishing that way.

I would not be surprised if they are not already done spawning. We had a full moon period when the water temp was a little less than Ideal, but within spawning temps and I think a lot of the bass spawned earlier than expected. I know they did in a lot of lakes around here. I guess you should be able to tell by the fish you caught. Did they seem to have big full egg filled bellies or look spawned out.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

I would not be surprised if they are not already done spawning. We had a full moon period when the water temp was a little less than Ideal, but within spawning temps and I think a lot of the bass spawned earlier than expected. I know they did in a lot of lakes around here. I guess you should be able to tell by the fish you caught. Did they seem to have big full egg filled bellies or look spawned out.

They weren’t giant but they definitely didnt look spawned out. I was just surprised that there were no beds on either lake I’ve fished this year that look to be made this spring.

mrpike1973

Really struggled some small bass by docks. Very little action tried weed edges nothing. Got a few on a small Texas rig and wacky but could not get on them. I wonder if they didn’t spawn already? They sure act like it

Bass Pundit

I think with the full moon now in the rearview we hit the post-spawn funk on my lake as well. No big bites to be found and I was the only one in the boat to catch anything. I caught 6 bass and lost about as many in the reeds. My brother threw a frog from start to finish missing a few weak blow-ups and my niece’s boyfriend had one jump off at the boat on the frog.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Have you guys seen a lot of beds or fish on beds yet? I would’ve thought we’d still have seen a few on beds even if it’s post spawn or close to it. Or if we heated up so quickly this year that some of them didn’t even spawn. Because in my area I’m just not seeing beds like normal.

Bass Pundit

I’m not a bed fisherman, so I rarely even look for them. I haven’t seen one on a bed this year, but I’m pretty sure I was fishing bedded fish the week after Opener on the thickest shallow cover around. I’ve been catching with raw fins since the C & R Opener.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I fished both smallmouth (mille lacs) and a small lake near my house the past couple days (largemouth) and every fish I have caught is still prespawn. Both the smaller males and the bigger females. Mille Lacs was 58 degrees and the lake near me was 66.

I caught the second biggest largemouth (by weight) I’ve ever caught this morning in the rain. 20.5 incher that was almost 6 pounds.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3872.jpg

tim hurley

Oh and I believe they have not spawned yet-water is not warm enough, we have been stuck in the mid 60s (crappie temp) for at least a week.

mrpike1973

Again struggled to get on any this weekend between the wind and lightning it was not fun. Did get some bigger bass though about 100 yards away from the docks on Texas rigs.

Bass Pundit

The clouds on Monday night along with crowds going home was a recipe for me getting better quality fish in Platte, if I could land them. I only caught something like 3 of 10 hits I got, before I ran down to Sullivan and worked on my frog/toad game with 1 to 2 pounders. I righted the ship there catching 7 of 10 of my bites during the first hour I was down there. As darkness closed in I struggled to get bites from 8:30 on as I covered new water for me this year. Tonight I got fish On an EVO Chatterbait, ToadZ, and a Boyd Duckett Frog.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I cant wait for summer patterns. Lot more predictable. I was binge watching some seth feider videos and im stoked to try a couple new things when temps hit that.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s been tough the last two times out. Fish are scattered. Went out yesterday but the wind was so brutal I couldn’t do hardly anything I wanted to. I have a few new tricks up my sleeve for the post spawn that I am impatiently waiting to try out.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Super random but if any of you bass guys are looking for a dawia tatula sv thorne bros has a pretty good deal like $90 off plus if you buy today you can still cash in on the simms hooded sunshirt promo through dawia.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Oh and I believe they have not spawned yet-water is not warm enough, we have been stuck in the mid 60s (crappie temp) for at least a week.

Mid 60 Deg. water is more than enough to spawn in. I have seen Bass locked on beds in 60-62 Deg water lots of time. Moon phase also plays a role. If the moon phase lines up with water temps in the Lower 60’s the spawn will happen.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One other thing when it comes to the Bass spawn, There are some bass in some years that just don’t spawn at all. Not real sure why, but know it happens. It happened a few years ago to lots of bass. I believe bass can only hold eggs for a period of time. If during that period the water temp / moon phase does not get correct, they just never spawn and their body asorb’s the eggs I believe.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Some of the largemouth I caught yesterday had definitely spawned now. They were significantly skinnier than they had been just a week earlier. Water temp was up to 68.5 degrees.

Could not get a fish to strike a moving lure. It was all plastics like stickbaits, neds, and tubes.

Riverrat

This weekend it went from bass cruising the shallows and hitting everything on Friday night to bass on beds on Saturday morning but not chasing away other fish, to full on their beds by sat night and Sunday morning. This was both large and smallmouth. Fishing started getting tougher on Saturday with the small bass and pike hitting and the occasional big bass, by Sunday it was target the beds or forget it. Lots of pike all weekend though. Sacrificed a lot of plastics to those little shits.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The lake I was on yesterday I caught a 3.5 lb fish right away with a jerkbait in 9 fow with weeds coming up to 4 ft below the surface. Then nothing else for 5 hrs. I tried points, shoreline structure (which is where I normally do well on this lake), deeper hard bottoms and topwater. Just a grinder of a day.

They were definitely post spawn on this lake as the bluegill spawn was in full swing and the bass beds overtaking by gills. Looking forward to them getting a little more grouped up.

mrpike1973

Had a decent weekend yesterday fished the wind side it was rough but the wife and I got 49 bass. Some were tanks she used wacky worms. I’m still learning the Texas rig not sure if it was the right way but it got lot’s of fish tried a jig and nothing. I would cast it out and let it flutter down usually that’s when they would get it if nothing Just slithered it back in the weeds and got some as well used chigger craws mostly. The day before was about the same with the wife getting 2 Smallies she sure had fun with those and another bonus walleye 24 inch. All from 3-6 FOW. Was rough riding the waves back hurts today. smirk

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.