Late Ice Safety

• Jake Jirik

Hey guys, I have been talking to our local bait shop and he said there is about a foot of ice still on the lakes in the are. First question, is that pretty safe for foot travel? Second question, what do you guys to to ensure your safety on late ice? Thanks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The quality of the ice is the issue. It’s getting bad fast. Fished about 20″ last weekend and couldn’t believe how fast my auger went through it.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Another thing that can happen is you step out in the morning while it’s still cold out and the ice seems fine. The sun comes out, things warm up and it goes bad after a few hours due to poor quality ice. I went thru one time getting off a lake in this scenario. Luckily it was waste deep water but not worth the risk.

Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

As far as safety goes, there are a handful of things that you can do to increase your chances of having a successful day and getting off the ice in one dry piece.
    1. Always let someone know where you are going and when you plan on returning
    2. Wear a life jacket (heck it even keeps you warm and some of them have lots of little useful pockets.) There is definitely no shame in wearing one out on the ice at this time of the year.
    3. Where a pair of floating ice picks around your neck.
    4. Use a large metal rod/chisel to test the ice before you step
    5. I have never done this, but it is something I have seen Dave Genz recommend. tie a 100′ line of rope to yourself, and just have it drag behind you. The theory is if you fall in, and someone sees you, they can use the rope to help drag you out.
    6. Remember if the ice is bad, it means that water with current will be open. You can always fish current from the shore and right now it is the current that the fish are keying in on to bring O2 and bait to them.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Second question, what do you guys to to ensure your safety on late ice? Thanks!

Go north young man… or maybe way south and get in on some first ice action.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I am a big guy. A friend and I went out one spring onto 20 inches we had to use a 2×12 plank from shore to get to the ice. When walking out the top 2 inches was mushy fished all day noticing watering running into holes and seeing them get larger. We saw ice honeycomb our auger starterd ripping ice out in small chunck for 1st foot or so then shaving ice like normal. We caught sunnies like crazy. We finally sort thru and kept the fish we wanted start walking back same trail we walked in on and we both went thru 20 inches of ice. Luckily we put our arms out and threw our stuff toward shore and it was only 6 ft or so deep. We were both able to bounce of bottom and roll out of the holes and basically roll to our plank which was floating so we had to jump in waist deep water and wade to shore. all we recovered was a jigle stick and hand auger our pails sat there with fish in them till they sank or washed to shore. Lesson learned 30 years ago late season ice is not the same as early season ice. It changes in a matter of hours never for the better. Do I wish I had life jacket and spikes on yes. Did people do that in the early 80’s no. That was on 20 inches I do not think 12 inches would be very wise without flotation suit dragging a 20 ft ladder even then is a meal of sunfish worth it. Think about those that have to risk there lives going after your remains!!!! Call me crazy but that was my last experience on late season deteriorating ice.

Mwal

dogs
    Hugo

Best safety item is a friend hopefully, one with a long power full reach.
    And keep your wallet on you, my friends if they know I left my wallet in my truck will leave me to the turtles and crawfish.

zooks

Hey guys, I have been talking to our local bait shop and he said there is about a foot of ice still on the lakes in the are. First question, is that pretty safe for foot travel? Second question, what do you guys to to ensure your safety on late ice? Thanks!

I wouldn’t risk it. Usually any late ice that is less than 14″-16″ is ripe for being poor in unexpected areas. Below is the MN DNR description on how lake ice melts and in my experience, it usually goes out around when it melts to around 8″-10″. If you must go, life jackets and safety picks are a must at all times. Hope this helps, stay safe.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/summaries_and_publications/ice_out_description.html

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

12″ spring ice… I’m staying off it…. And I’ll fish on 2″ early Ice. I’m all of 300# suited up. Late ice is super sketchy. Get the boat ready!!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

When in doubt, don’t go out. If you get to a lake and you feel for just an instance that something about the ice may not be safe, don’t walk on it. Late ice goes bad quickly. The best preparation is preparing to accept that the season is done. If you get to the lake already accepting the fact that it may be over, you’re more inclined to make the smart choice. If you are going to avoid good judgement, a wet suit, using a spud bar before each step, having a 100 foot rope tied to your waist with an attentive friend on shore the whole time, ice picks around your neck, and a life jacket may help you get out safely, maybe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.