Last Trip?

• tim hurley

Going out Sat. to a lake just North of the metro, access is on the south side, walking. Anyone else going out? Am I crazy for trying? As usual for this time of year I am mainly worried about the access.
    Thanks

tim hurley

No response? Guess everyone had the last one last weekend when I was sick! roll

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

No response? Guess everyone had the last one last weekend when I was sick! roll

Everyone is on the lake fishing while you are online asking if the ice is safe… plenty of safe ice if you take your time. Drive farther north until you find the ice you’re looking for waytogo

Good luck!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Let me know how the ice is Tim! I think we are going to have ice for a little while longer honestly. Whether it’s fishable is the question.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Plenty of fishable ice in the area

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Just walked out on green. You could probably still drive out. I wouldn’t, but there’s enough ice. Saw a couple dozen people on chisago yesterday afternoon.

We’ll be out later with the wheeler. There were wheelers out yesterday.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Sitting out on Isle bay with 20″ of ice under me.
    No fish, but plenty of ice.

tim hurley

Got out-beautiful, fishing was so so,
    Access even though on the south end was pretty bad in one area but just fine where I went out, should be able to go next week too. Thanks for the responses.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hit green for a few hours today. Ice is getting sketchy but 10-20” all over. Last night froze the slush good again. No issues with a wheeler anywhere but a few days of warm temps and wind will kill the launches.

I think another two weeks walking maybe. Fishing was ok for us.

tim hurley

Nice if you can access in a shady spot away from the north side-I’ll go to a lake w/o a boat launch next weekend too all that salt and sand on the lake from you dudes who drive ugly trucks grin really mess things up

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Was up in the park rapids area yesterday. They were still driving large truck with ice castles attached out on several lakes. The weather was great for fishing. Hit Two different lakes and the fishing was just so so on both. I think next weekend with be great on those same lakes. I got family activities next weekend so won’t make it out. Looking at the current forecast and unless it’s totally wrong I don’t think it will hold it till the following one. Then again I’ve been wrong about that before. Just have to wait and see.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Still driving out in northeastern MN

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i fished 4 different lakes in Itasca county over the weekend. lot of ice yet, some lakes better then others but was starting to honeycomb. the resorts on winnie where mostly letting guests out now, also on the west side a big crack formed in front of places like beckers resort. they had a good bunch of fishermen on the WRONG side of the crack but where working on getting a bridge out. this time of year not going there. we ended up going out of highbanks and drove trucks out…..6 miles.

saturday we went to bowstring….some small vehicles out but we used wheelers….

all 4 lakes fishing stunk……..i’m done ice fishing. they claim that the zeebs have altered what the perch normally do late ice on winnie………..i’m blaming that the barametric pressure and not consistent weather. devil

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I was out on Saturday and found out my 10yr old Baffins need some silicone spray. Put a foot though a little further than planned and ended up with a soggy sock. Fishing was ok caught about 8 Crappies. Sherburne County. Before we went there we looked at Beebe and that is a no go without a swim.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

Went out on Eagle Lake in Sherburne Cty last Friday night. Shorelines are sketchy but main ice is still solid and thick

tim hurley

Is this weekend the last one? Going south should probably go north…Going to a dark basin type lake, will they push shallow?
    Thanks

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Is this weekend the last one? Going south should probably go north…Going to a dark basin type lake, will they push shallow?
    Thanks

They are already shallow up here in many situations. With the light snow cover we have had up here I predict people will be ice fishing next weekend yet too.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’m taking it day by day. Tuesday was supposed to be my last trip, but the ice I found was surprisingly good in the Alex area. Someone even had a wheeler out.

Today I’ll try again out in that direction. After this weekend, if we get the rain and wind they predict for next week, it may end quite a few more access points. I think the snow and cold nights that we got recently insulated the ice a bit and preserved some accesses for another week or two.

The fish often push really shallow this time of year. Sightfishing can be a really fun option. Last year, I caught a wall-hanger (replica) in 4-5′ of water just hole hopping and dropping Eurolarvae jigs without a graph.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I thought I was done for the season but I’m going to take a vacation day tomorrow and get out one more time. Heading to the Park Rapids area. As of Tuesday they were still driving full sized Trucks out in the area. If I was a betting man I’d bet there is less than a 50% chance of getting out anyplace except the northern part of the state by the following weekend. I’m seeing a few days with decent temps and heavy winds followed by Mids 50’s and Rain for 4 days in a row early next week for most of Central Minnesota. The combo of Mid 50’s, Wind, and Rain = Fast ice melt. There are lakes in the Saint Cloud area already that have 6-10 Ft of open water on some shorelines. Others still tight to shore.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was on Green in Chisago again the last couple of days. 12+” of ice in the spots I drilled but the shoreline is starting to erode pretty good. My guess is we have a week left to walkout and that’s about it. The weather next week will likely be the end of it.

Gills in 4-6′ and crappies in 10′. They are starting to relate to the inside of the weeds….there are still green weeds so I’ve been using the camera and it’s pretty easy to find them.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I just drove around the horseshoe chain. There is a whole lot of river open. Since the snow lakes have had no activity except cedar island. There where about 6 vehicles carefully parked along the road. Couldn’t see where they where fishing.

tim hurley

THIS is IT! One more week. I am stuck between 2 lakes one has lots of pannies-one has some big specks but #s are low. That one has a walk on access on the south side and trees go right to the lake-so very shaded. Lakes are not close to each other otherwise it would be A plan B plan. Next weekend I’ll pull the boat out, give her a hug, charge batteries, etc. Thanks for the responses.

tim hurley

Went with the one with the great access, got my limit with some nice ones mixed in!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got out on Friday in the Park Rapids area. Ice still looking good on the lake we fished. We even drove out – which we probably shouldn’t have. We made it off but left signs for anyone thinking of driving out the next day that it wasn’t a good idea doah with the temps and winds on Sat. And today, getting another weekend is looking iffy. I saw pictures of a local lake here in my area and would not be surprised if someone was open water fishing it by next weekend. It’s crazy how different ice can be only 100 or so miles apart.

MNdrifter

Ice is going fast on LOTW’s. Heard 5 wheelers went in at warroad last night. Fished Springsteel area my boys did well. Too bad, after today’s rain I don’t think it’s safe to head to where we been getting them. Might walk out front in the morning before heading home.

Attachments:
    1. FD81F899-FF82-4D3E-9C89-E1C23D17EAAC.jpeg

2. 6930300F-39C3-40EF-A924-2B1972DF0E89.jpeg

3. EEDC71B3-339F-40B3-A315-AEAB356CBB3E.jpeg

4. 0B77776C-B7F0-471E-8C13-0AE0C7520824.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s done anywhere close to the metro – ventured onto Green yesterday and the pucker factor was awfully high. Stepped on a few spots that were spongy and the ice is very gray. With the wind and pending rain my guess is it’s a week until omst local lakes are ice free.

When I drove by this morning quite a bit of shoreline was exposed and there was a big crank running north/south.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I finished up on Thursday. Had one of my best bluegill trips of the season. Leaving at dusk, I fell in up to my mid-thighs a few steps from shore at the access. Good sign that it’s time to clean and pack up the ice gear. I’m not road-tripping hours north in hopes of finding a bit of solid ice. It’s time to get the boat ready.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ice is going fast on LOTW’s. Heard 5 wheelers went in at warroad last night. Fished Springsteel area my boys did well. Too bad, after today’s rain I don’t think it’s safe to head to where we been getting them. Might walk out front in the morning before heading home.

Those are some beautiful pike. Great Job getting the kids out there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.