Lake Waconia Walleyes??? Need Help

• Tov Rezabek

good day all

I’m trying to find some help with the walleyes on Lake Waconia, taking my kid out in a couple of weeks and what im doing is not working. wondering if anyone has any tips??
    TYIA
    Tov

LabDaddy1

I haven’t fished waconia for eyes but if it’s anything like most lakes, ESPECIALLY most metro lakes, I’d probably focus on fishing deep weed edges and even up in and over the top of shallow weed flats. Long line(basic) trolling #5 to #9 crankbaits on the deep edge, and floaters/x-raps over the top of them during low light or at night. If you find a concentration you can then anchor or spot lock and cast jigs or slip bobbers at them. Just my opinion.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

during low light or at night

That’s when I’d go too. Right as the sun was going down or at night time. The water is relatively clear out there and the pressure/boating traffic is high.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Guys can be pretty tight lipped on where the walleyes are on metro lakes. If you want to get your kid on some fish in the metro the walleye bite can be challenging. Might want to target pannies, bass, pike. Lotta those in the metro lakes.

There are also some guides that cover Waconia. Might be worth going out with a guide to get some spots/presentations.

I would agree with the other posters. Metro lakes are usually dominated by weeds. The backsides of the weeds, pockets in the weeds, points that transition from weeds to hard bottom would all be places to start. Now that it’s warmed up I agree it’s a lowlight/evening bite.

Good luck.

10klakes

If how to catch them gets shared here, I can guarantee you won’t be alone out there. Similar tactics as on Tonka I’d assume.

Time on the water is key. Or a guide to quicken the learning curve..

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Take 2 weeks off and then take up golf. Or plan on fishing overnights for a long time to eventually catch 1 or 2 here or there. I’m only half kidding, and don’t mean to be negative just honest. I fish out there a lot in the winter and occasionally in the summer, and was by the lake today, and it is always pressured. Panfish or sheepshead would be a better target species imo. Otherwise go to Tonka, at least that’s heavily stocked w adult eyes.

JEREMY
    BP

Ive recently heard of a few guys having surprisingly good luck on some nice fish. But as said no need to even go until sunset.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’m not familiar with waconia specifically but fish metro area walleyes regularly. As mentioned it’s all about the weeds and weedlines. Walleyes in weeds can be caught throughout the day. You’re going to need to get a reaction bite out of them. There’s a few different ways to accomplish that with speed of your presentation being the key component.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m not familiar with waconia specifically but fish metro area <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes regularly. As mentioned it’s all about the weeds and weedlines. Walleyes in weeds can be caught throughout the day. You’re going to need to get a reaction bite out of them. There’s a few different ways to accomplish that with speed of your presentation being the key component.

I fish with this guy often and he can put mid day walleye in the boat like no other. On heavily pressured lakes Don’t let his advice go unheard

sunseteyes

I’d recommend Tonka. More fishable water and more fish. Pondweed is up everywhere this time of year on Waconia and chokes out everything but the hardest of bottom and the mud. Tonka fish are much easier to catch and there are lots of them in there.

Cody Meyers

I’d recommend calling Greg Schroeder’s guide service and see if Josh Dehn has any openings.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>
    I’m not familiar with waconia specifically but fish metro area <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes regularly. As mentioned it’s all about the weeds and weedlines. Walleyes in weeds can be caught throughout the day. You’re going to need to get a reaction bite out of them. There’s a few different ways to accomplish that with speed of your presentation being the key component.

I fish with this guy often and he can put mid day <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye in the boat like no other. On heavily pressured lakes Don’t let his advice go unheard

I’m no good at it but when I’ve targeted weed walleyes during the day I fish them like pike or bass. Usually a shiny spinner bait of a rat l trap type bait. They are in the weeds eating so they are aggressive. Finding them is the challenge most of the time.

I’ll add that when I’ve had success it’s usually late afternoon to early evening. Just need the sun to drop a bit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.