Lake trout setup

• gmerhar

What are you guys typical setup for catching big lake trout?….(rod,reel,line, etc.)

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

TUCR LTP

2500 series spinning reel of your choice.

20-30 lb braid

15-20 lb mono or floro leader

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

What about smaller lake trout? Is a typical walleye setup too light? I would like to give it a try before going and buying a dedicated rod. Specifically fishing Big Trout in Crosslake.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A rod that is on the heavier side of what you use for walleye will be fine to get started for lakers.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What about smaller lake trout? Is a typical walleye setup too light? I would like to give it a try before going and buying a dedicated rod. Specifically fishing Big Trout in Crosslake.

A rod needs to be paired to the lure being used and not necessarily toward the fish being targeted. If you plan to use 3/4-2oz lures, you’re going to need a stiffer rod.

For lake trout and trout in general, I recommend longer rods because of how quick they can run and how wildly they can shake their head. You need room for absorption from a quick run and a good load on the rod to take up those head shakes.

In general heavier walleye gear is good fro small lake trout, but I do recommend a longer rod. 34″+

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Ice or open water? Some of us have our minds set to hard water but I see this is not in the ice fishing forum

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I run a 42″ custom made glass rod with a standard 2000-2500 reel 10# hard line and fluorocarbon leader a swivel. med heavy I would say on blank.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Batson Eglass 7ft Med Mod cut down to 42″ from tip section, casting reel seat, Abu 5500 bait cast, 12# fluoro. You can fish med size walleye to lakers. Also have a Tuned Up LTP 42″ casting style.

tswoboda

TUCR LTP

20-30 lb braid

Just curious, but why the heavy mainline? Thinner braid collects A LOT less water/ice and I’ve never seen the ice cut the line while fighting a fish.

Swivel or knot for the leader connection?

Ryan Scholl

My smaller laker setup is a Jason Mitchell 38″ Mackinaw spinning rod, size 30 reel. 30# braid with 12# leader. Great eelpout rig too.

My bigger rods are custom rods i built up from a Batson .385x.105×72 solid glass blank. cut 2 feet off the butt. I have pretty long handles built on them. size 30 spinning reels. same line setup on these. My dad has 3 built off of this blank from 39-48″.

I would stick to glass rods, especially if you fish outside. Graphite will blow up, I’ve done it. And if you fish outside, go with a long rod. 4 foot is nice. don’t have to bend over and can stand back from the hole a little.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    TUCR LTP

20-30 lb braid

Just curious, but why the heavy mainline? Thinner braid collects A LOT less water/ice and I’ve never seen the ice cut the line while fighting a fish.

Swivel or knot for the leader connection?

Depends on the eyes on the rod. Big eyes will pass a lot more ice.

In general I’ve been bulking up all my lake trout and salmon gear. Summer and winter.

You make a good point about ice but personally I prefer to have heavier gear. If had some sketchy fights with 10# braid that I’d rather not repeat.

I’d recommend braid exclusively deeper than 40′.

I’d lean toward swivel but you might catch me going without if I’m feeling lazy. I use a lot of darting baits that tend to twist up your line.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have pretty long handles built on them

My only regret. Should’ve gotten loooong handles. Makes a big difference in a long fight.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Batson .385x.105×72 solid glass blank

I am looking at building my first fishing rod to target sturgeon. This is the same blank that was recommended to me. 3 of them were sitting on my door step last night when I got home.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

If you are looking for a cheaper set up check out a 38 inch frabil pike rod in the medium heavy plenty of back bone and the medium heavy cushion handshakes nicely. Pair that with a decent reel that have a nice drag system and away you go. Also jason Mitchell makes a nice lake trout rod in a baitcasting model and spinning model

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.