Lake trout

• dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I want to plan a trip for next year to catch Lake Trout.
    I was considering Canada as my only option, but reading more made me realize I may not have to cross the border.
    We are a group of 3 guys in their 50s with 3 adult boys.
    If you know of a lake or guide service that we should consider, please pm me or reply in kind.

Thanks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I assume you are talking open water?

Lake Superior. You don’t even need a charter if you have some lead core setups. There are some good charters up there too but I don’t have any recommendations myself.

I just realized you’re from Omaha. If you don’t have trolling gear a charter would be best.

If you want the best experience, head to Marquette Michigan and take a charter out to Stannard Rock. Just do some YouTube searches on Stannard Rock and you’ll see why.

Tarnkt

There are tons of lakes up the gunflint trail that you can catch lakers on. You can either rough it in the BWCA in a canoe or get a cabin on a motor lake, or both! Most of the outfitters up there have guides that work with them

Ryan

X2 on Stannard Rock. Was there a couple weeks ago for the first time. Everyone that loves casting for fish should make this trip! Nothing like catching a laker by casting a spoon out letting it hit the bottom in a 100 feet then reeling up. Lots of fun!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

X2 on Stannard Rock. Was there a couple weeks ago for the first time. Everyone that loves casting for fish should make this trip! Nothing like catching a laker by casting a spoon out letting it hit the bottom in a 100 feet then reeling up. Lots of fun!

And I’ve never done it. Just caught 100’s from the north shore trolling. Stannard Rock is on my bucket list. Target June or July for the best weather.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Maybe miles won’t matter to you, but a Wisconsin voyage is lots of miles. I’m with Biggill as far as Lake Superior goes. There are several landings where you can launch and fish with nothing more than lead line rigs and dipsy divers will allow a little more edge. If the water gets rough and you don’t feel like boating there are places along the shore [Two Harbors, Silver Bay come to mind] where casting from navigational structures will get you into fish including salmon as well as the trout.

Two Harbors is 2 1/2 – 3 hours from the Twin Cities for a travel time reference. Omaha to the Cities is about a 4 hour hike. Mostly interstate to Duluth so at 70 mph you’ll move right along. Set your cruise at 75 and you’ll be fine. Avoid the temptation to go 80….trust me on this.

Its not just the fishing on Superior that is great. Generally its simply being on that body of water….its an impressive experience especially if you have never been to or seen that lake. Fish are a bonus. And off the breakwater in Two Harbors casting you’ll be lobbing your lures into 80 feet or water so you can fish a wee bit faster than off the rocks in Wisconsin or Michigan.

Ryan Hughes

I’ll throw in a vote for Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Wyoming/Utah. Plenty of guides and you can catch 30+ pound lakers (up to 50+ pounders) and 4+ pound kokanee in the same day. You can’t beat that!

buschman
    Pool 2

It really comes down to what you are looking for for as a trip. Lake Superior offers an amazing setting and fish. However it is a monster body of water and can be a religious experience.

If you are looking for size Canada may offer the best comofort and options. If you want to see an amazing lake and dial in for numbers in a charter Lake Superior is a good shake. It is about 8.5 hours to Duluth plus stop time. Canadian Trout waters are 12-16 hours easy but worth the trip if you are looking to maximize each day with multi species.

Canada is a slow road depending on where you go but never a let down to me. Love both. Always will. Never been west of you but wanted to warn you that superior is a bang or bust depending on what you want. I have been on both trips and would not change a thing on any of them. Been lucky to be in a good place with good people every time.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Dis is all I know about da Lake trout…buttery, smoky, decadent! Goes with many things, I started off with basic crackers. More ideas to come? Co-worker just brought this back…fresh from Russ Kendalls in/near Knife River. Out of the waters of Big Soo…?

Attachments:
    1. WP_20160829_21_54_41_Pro.jpg

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

Never considered Superior, but I will now.
    I own lead set ups we use on Oahe so that sounds like a bonus.
    4 hours to the cities? Closer to 6.
    Multi species trip may be best. Or at least guided for a day, then repeat pattern on my own.
    My son is a bass nut and loves chucking and reeling. I, on the other hand, prefer trolling and relaxing. And it looks like we could do both.

Thanks for the info all!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

x2 on Superior. Although it’s more of a trolling bite than casting/jigging (unless you’re James Holst bow ). My buddy runs Team Crush Charter out of Canal Park in Duluth, and he has had a great season this year! You can look him up on Facebook, or call Captain Cameron at 320-761-6783. Mid-summer can be kind of hit or miss, but he put 2 monsters (37″ and 41″) in the boat in the last few weeks, along with plenty of eaters. Best part is the location imo, you can stay right in Canal park with lots going on (new brewery and distillery too!) or up the shore a little bit for more peace and quiet. If you go Russ Kendal’s smoke shop is a must stop imo.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s the two pigs

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20160903_110927.jpg

2. Resized_20160904_152653.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This was over the weekend on Isle Royale. Waaaay up by the MN, MI, CA borders.

Attachments:
    1. image-34.jpeg

2. image-33.jpeg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.