Lake Trout

• Spencer Hokkanen

So me and my brother have been researching lake trout fishing in mn because we have never had the opportunity to go out. We decided to go up to Grindstone lake in Sandstone MN and we are going up tomorrow. We are going to just see what we can,we have heavy action rods,25lb braid ice line, and we lots of variety of live bait,some rippin raps, and some tube jigs that we are going to try out. Just wondering what anyone thinks, we good? advice?

Thanks!

munchy
    NULL

You’re gonna want to hold off a couple weeks. Lake trout doesn’t open up until the 17th of Jan.

If you’re on a lake entirely inside the BWCA you will be able to fish as it opened up today.

Jim Chyba

We leave for Canada trout fishing next week. Our go to lures are tube jigs and I prefer 10 pound braided line with 6-10# mono leader seems like plenty with a good drag. My favorite fish through the ice!

eyesonly

I’m taking a winter trip up to Knife in the BDUB on the 13th and I couldn’t be more excited. Besides the usual tube jigs and airplane jigs I really want to try the new mini Rippen Raps. Yes, the opening dates are goofy this year. You really have to read carefully. In my opinion if I were you guys I’d skip grindstone and take a couple of days and head to grand marais or Ely for lake trout. Both place have easily accessible lake trout lakes for day trips after the everything opens. I wish I had a brother to fish with. I envy you.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’d really like to knock icing a trout off the list this year.

Best lake in mn to fish trout?

I’m a walker or drive when safe thicknesses. Any part of the state is OK. No idea where or when but I can probably research the how.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m a walker or drive when safe thicknesses. Any part of the state is OK. No idea where or when but I can probably research the how.

Give Ben Putnam a shout. He’s up in Ely, doesn’t have an ATV or sled, and gets on some good trout bites on foot. I’ve found him incredibly helpful and willing to share info and chances are he’ll want to fish with you to make sure you get where you need to be.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Give biggill a call waytogo

Grindstone is a good lake to ice a trout or two. I’ve fished it for about 5 years now and have a couple decent spots for a couple small lakers.

Or… Fingers crossed… Lake Superior. peace

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So me and my brother have been researching lake trout fishing in mn because we have never had the opportunity to go out. We decided to go up to Grindstone lake in Sandstone MN and we are going up tomorrow. We are going to just see what we can,we have heavy action rods,25lb braid ice line, and we lots of variety of live bait,some rippin raps, and some tube jigs that we are going to try out. Just wondering what anyone thinks, we good? advice?

Thanks!

When grindstone does open for trout on January 17, I’d say downsize without downsizing the weight. The lakers run 14-16″ on average. You might find an 18″ fish once in a while and I’ve heard you can find the occasional 5+ lb laker. If you’re lucky.

Target 40-80′ reefs or points. I move when I don’t see fish in 1 hr. Not always the best method, but it satisfies my short attention span.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Or… Fingers crossed… Lake Superior. peace

Fingers crossed here as well. I’m up in Cloquet right now and just finished watching the weather. Temps will be in the 15 – 20 below range Sunday night – Monday morning with temps staying below 15 degrees for as far out as the short-term forecast goes. That’ll help.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    Or… Fingers crossed… Lake Superior.  :peace:

Fingers crossed here as well. I’m up in Cloquet right now and just finished watching the weather. Temps will be in the 15 – 20 below range Sunday night – Monday morning with temps staying below 15 degrees for as far out as the short-term forecast goes. That’ll help.

Sounds great! Only a month (or two) away now! yay

eyesonly

Give Ben Putnam a shout. He’s up in Ely, doesn’t have an ATV or sled, and gets on some good trout bites on foot. I’ve found him incredibly helpful and willing to share info and chances are he’ll want to fish with you to make sure you get where you need to be.
    [/quote]

Ben has been very gracious with me answering many questions about my upcoming trip. He’s a very nice man. If your a walker/day tripper you could look on the gunflint side. Duncan and Moss are a few of the more well known lakes on that side. People keep their favorite laker lakes pretty close to the vest but there are many great lakes within that area. Burntside on the Ely side has some drive to spots also along with a bunch more

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Awesome. I’d love to hit superior this winter if mother nature will let us! Bigill- let me know when it’s ready!

Jim Chyba

We leave for Canada trout fishing next week. Our go to lures are tube jigs and I prefer 10 pound braided line with 6-10# mono leader seems like plenty with a good drag. My favorite fish through the ice!

lundojam

Spence-
    Grindstone is tough, but I guess a few guys get a few. Try to get to those 60′ humps that are more or less in the middle. Another option there is to fish rainbows and browns. Start shallow, like next to shore in 4′. Picture is brownie from last march on Grindstone.

If I wanted to target lakers I’d save my vacation time and take a few days and go up to the Gunflint or Burntside in Ely. It’d be a better use of your time than Grindstone in my opinion. Good Luck!

Attachments:
    1. brown-trout.jpg

Spencer Hokkanen

Thanks to all of the replies,they have been very helpful and I too am excited to fish trout this winter,hopefully superior!

Aaron Nelson
    Mora, MN

For any and all Grindstone questions feel free to send me a message guys. I fish that lake all the time.

catmando
    wis

superior freezes am going to spend a week up there

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For any and all Grindstone questions feel free to send me a message guys. I fish that lake all the time.

Is it froze over?

Jeremy H

Heading up this weekend to Grindstone, any pointers on some good spots?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.