Lake Superior Trout & Salmon Report – July 15 & 16, 2015

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I feel like I’ve been making up for lost time the last couple weeks and I haven’t had much computer time to share photos and updates. I got back late this past weekend from my family trip to Lake of the Woods where we stayed at Sunset Lodge on Oak Island and aftr 48 hours of being home my darling wife gave me the green light to head to Superior for my birthday. I plan to do an updated report on our fishing up to Lake of the Woods as soon as I throw up some photos and drop a quick report from our Superior trip in an attempt to get caught back up a bit.

So, Lake Superior…. LOVE that lake!

I left the metro last Tuesday night with Ben Brettingen and Pat McSharry and headed up the north shore with plans to hit the water early on Wednesday AM in the hopes of finding some trout and salmon willing to play ball. I’ve got my new WX 2190 rigged out the way I want it now for fishing big water so I was excited to put the new boat on the water and get that first laker or salmon in the net.

Our typically approach on Superior is to stay shallow and target shoreline breaks or shallow off-shore reefs where we’re able to pull segmented lead core lines and spoons behind boards with two lines dedicated as downrigger lines. Depths fished on this trip were primarily in the 40 ‘ – 60′ range with 3, 4 and 5 color lead core sets catching the majority of our fish while the downriggers remained curiously slow until late in our trip when we finally made an adjustment that made a big difference with our catch rates on the riggers. More on that in a bit.

Wednesday AM we hit the water around 5 AM and we were met with fantastic boating conditions with the lake laying flat calm. While I do appreciate those days when the big lake goes easy on us my experience has always been that calm, sunny days with little to no chop can be tough days for putting fish in the boat. And our first day out was no exception. We found we had to run our boards WIDE to get bit with the fish showing an extreme sensitivity to the presence of the boat. Basically if we didn’t have our boards 150’ out from the boat at a minimum we just didn’t get bit. And even at those extreme distances the boards closer to the boat in our spread were far less active than boards further away from the boat.

We did manage to boat quite a fish after swapping through spoons to find the right color combination for the day. I will say this about Lake Superior fish, if they’re anything, they’re INCREDIBLY color selective with color preferences changing daily if not hourly. I like to joke that there’s only one spoon color that can be conclusively ruled out on a trip and that was the color that was hot the last time out!

On this particular day the best spoon colors were bright colors WITH A WHITE BACK. Any bright color would work… orange, green, chartreuse, as long as it had that white back. Spoons with a silver or gold back were all but ignored for the duration of our trip and color combos that have traditionally been good producers for me were noticeably poor producers. (So be it. Off to shop for more spoons I go!)

In addition to the noticeable color preference the fish were very size specific as well. Typically I run a lot of larger spoons (5+ inches) when fishing Superior. But on this trip the fish wanted nothing to do with the larger baits opting instead of 3″ baits which I rarely fish. On this particular trip you either made these two adjustments to color and size AND kept your baits well away from the boat given the calm conditions… or you didn’t catch fish.

Trolling speeds ranged from 2.0 – 2.4 mph and there was little to no sub-surface current to contend with as verified by the Fish Hawk speed and depth probe I had installed for this very purpose when my boat was rigged at SBC – Chip Falls two weeks ago.

Most of our fish on day one were in the 12 – 18 lb range with a smattering of larger fish to keep things interesting. Not our best day on the big lake by any means, but not our worst, either.

One thing we noticed was that the fish were absolutely stuffed, to the point of bursting, with fish flies. And it didn’t matter if it was an 8# fish or a 25# fish… these lakers were gorging on bugs. Many times when we would bring fish to the net these fish would had veritable hand-fulls of bugs in their throats that they disgorged during the fight. Could that have had something to do with the preference for the smaller baits? A well-fed fish likely isn’t as compelled to take on a big bait as one further removed from it’s last meal. But that certainly doesn’t explain the nearly universal preference for white-backed spoons. Surely that white back looks NOTHING like a bug or a mass of bugs in the water. Things that make anglers go HMMMMMM????

Attachments:
    1. pat-troot-1.jpg

2. james-troot-1.jpg

3. ben-troot-1.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Now one of the things we’ve been doing more of on our trips to Superior is taking time to do more jigging and casting. I can tell you this, hooking and fighting a big laker on spinning gear is an amazing experience that keeps us coming back for more. I will also tell you that consistently catching fish on a jig from a Lake that covers over 20 MILLION acres can be very frustrating at times. If only the fish stayed put…

What we’ve found works best is to find a productive depth range and general area by trolling FIRST then to break out the spinning gear and go back and see if we can’t pick off a few fish each before breaking back out the trolling rods. We had found a couple small humps that were holding fish on our trolling runs and made the group decision to pull all the board lines and shelf the riggers and break out the light tackle to see what we could come up with.

Good move!

It didn’t take long for the guys to get into a laker-double! Both fish snapped up a 6″ soft plastic in white and the boys were off to the races sporting big grins! We definitely catch fewer fish when fishing the jigs but nobody ever complains about the time spent between fish after they’ve experienced the fight these fish offer on light tackle.

When fishing these lakers with spinning gear we’re using our medium to medium-heavy walleye gear. Nothing fancy needed. These fish will make some pretty crazy runs so a reel with a good drag is needed. We spool up with 14 – 20 lb test Sufix 832, knot in a 6′ section of 12 – 20 lb Flouro leader and tie directly to our jigs that weight 3/8 — 1 oz. If I could consistently catch fish of this caliber on spinning gear during my trips to Superior… I’d sell all the trolling gear in a heart beat!!

Attachments:
    1. 20150716_085214.jpg

2. 20150716_084717.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Nice read and pics guys. waytogo waytogo Wish I was closer so I could give it a go.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We didn’t have much wind at the start of the day on the 16th but we did have overcast conditions with some fog and rain until midday. Around the noon hour the wind picked up… and that’s when the fishing really took off for us with our boat landing a couple dozen fish in the matter of 3 or 4 hours. Like I said at the start, calm conditions are great for travel and easy on anglers and gear but the catching can be a little off. The trick of course is finding a happy balance because “a little too much wind” on Superior can turn down-right nasty in a hurry making fishing all but impossible. Thankfully for us we found that balance with winds never exceeding more than 10 MPH or so which kicked up 1 – 2 foot waves and really kicked up the bite.

Spoon sizes and color selection didn’t change at all from day 1 to day 2. The small, bright spoons with white backs did all the catching for us. And we finally did get the riggers going after making a small adjustment I mentioned early on in my report. As noted, our rigger bite was very, very slow for us with almost all fish caught trolling coming on our outside boards on 3, 4 or 5 color leadcore. The same spoons run on our riggers remained dead-slow until we started to significantly lengthen the amount of line between bait and the down rigger ball. I typically run 30 foot +/- on my riggers and don’t have any significant issues getting bit. On this particularly trip we had gone the better part of an entire day with only one small rigger fish to show for our efforts when I suggested we run some LONG leads to see if the extra distance behind the balls wouldn’t produce more bites.

Pat let his out to 125′ Ben dropped his back to 101′. Both rods popped within a few minutes and Pat ended up boating our best fish of the trip which I’m convinced wouldn’t have happened had we not kept making little tweaks to our trolling spread, as obvious as they might have been. Once we started running long leads behind the riggers we started seeing much more consistent results.

Pat’s fish was just short of 41″ and would have weighed in somewhere in the mid to upper 20 lb range. All lakers on this trip were released.

We’ll be headed back up in a couple weeks. Good fishing, all!

Attachments:
    1. 20150717_091322.jpg

2. 20150716_112022.jpg

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

James, a standard we run salmon fishing is a SWR rig (secret weapon rig). It’s a 2 color in line leadcore off the deepest downrigger ball. It gets it back a ways, in clean water, under any disturbance created by the downrigger weight. Add that to your bag of tricks. Based on your description it may of fit this situation.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Here are a few more pictures from the trip!

Laker Report (3 of 6) Laker Report (4 of 6) Laker Report (5 of 6) Laker Report (6 of 6) Laker Report (2 of 6)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, a standard we run salmon fishing is a SWR rig (secret weapon rig). It’s a 2 color in line leadcore off the deepest downrigger ball. It gets it back a ways, in clean water, under any disturbance created by the downrigger weight. Add that to your bag of tricks. Based on your description it may of fit this situation.

This is a great suggestion. We talked about adding a single color SWR to the arsenal to test the next time up. There’s no doubt in my mind those fish wanted nothing to do with a bait running close behind the downrigger balls on this trip.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Jim….something else to try if you find fish on humps that don’t want to cooperate is to cut the throttle and pop you lines out of the rigger clips and just let the slow forward movement of the boat drag your lines up to the surface. Hold on though. When the bow in the line down to the cannonball gets taken out of the line the lures do a suductive dance to the surface and we’ve had some sumo lakers drill the lures right near the top. We generally watch the graph and as soon as the cannonball gets close to the fish we pop all of them loose and park the rods in the holders while we run the balls up for re-setting. Salmon are common catches doing this too.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Impressive fish James! I’ve really got to find time to get up there again. Would love to try out the jigging deal. How deep of water are you typically in when going after em hand to hand?

Also, great tip by Tom there! We do that regularly down here, and while it doesn’t always work, It does at times, and IMO those are all “bonus” fish.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Those are some tank Lakers boys. Nice work!

How are those Garmin units treating you?

kroger3
    blaine mn

Pattern was spot on with what we seen out there on the 16th and 17th on the small spoons with white backs. We also couldn’t believe the bugs they were spitting up! Fun times and cant wait to rally back!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

James I love your reports. Lake trout in general are very moody as you said day by day. I haven’t run leadcore yet but want to soon. I know what you are talking about with the line behind the downrigger ball and I found sometimes I have marked fish coming up to check out my ball and go back down without biting. Sometimes when I see that I go as short as three feet back from the ball and its been a sudden change and getting a fish every pass. So it works in both ways. I always play with the length of the leads.

Another tip that I have noticed is the color of your rigger bombs. I mainly run black pancake style balls with holographic tape on them. I also switch to a gold with orange lightning bolt fish bomb. So that’s something to play with as well you wouldn’t believe how it may change your day of fishing. It may seem like a lot to have a few pairs of rigger weights in the boat but if you see a pair on Craigslist pick them up, paint them up and add your little twist to them and more times than not it works.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Great report! I was REALLY looking forward to this report. I actually spent the wekeend cleaning the boat trying to keep my mind off of fishing. Seems like those earlier season trips the fish make your work for it. Looks like you had them dialed in. Nice work!

I’m considering a mid August trip up there to get my fix. Can’t wait.

GlennRengo
    Maple Grove, MN

The markings on that last fish in Ben’s pictures are just incredible. Beautiful fish. Did you guys keep any smaller fish to eat?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The markings on that last fish in Ben’s pictures are just incredible. Beautiful fish. Did you guys keep any smaller fish to eat?

We typically will keep some smaller fish to eat (sub-5# range) but we didn’t catch anything in that size range this time around. Everything was, in my opinion, too big.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James I love your reports. Lake trout in general are very moody as you said day by day. I haven’t run leadcore yet but want to soon. I know what you are talking about with the line behind the downrigger ball and I found sometimes I have marked fish coming up to check out my ball and go back down without biting. Sometimes when I see that I go as short as three feet back from the ball and its been a sudden change and getting a fish every pass. So it works in both ways. I always play with the length of the leads.

I’ve not tried shortening the leads behind the balls but I’ll definitely file that away as something to try in the future.

Perhaps this should be a separate topic but speaking of down rigger balls… after seeing how close the weights run together on the Garmin Panoptix has anyone had good experiences using a directional style weight? I’d like to get some extra distance between the balls to cover more water. I’m convinced some side-to-side spread wouldn’t hurt.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Brettingen looks like a damn raccoon. Sunburn much? wave

Nice fish fellas.
    Andy

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

James some of the directional downrigger bombs if your not careful will spin and you can get a bad tangle. Thats the case for me anyhow. If you want direction I would just go with dipsys. However then you are doing the same thing as planer boards and leadcore.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I tried a set of directional weights a few years back, they were ok until I let them down deep and crossed a wicked current. Then they were a nightmare and ended up tangled up. Twice. That was the end of that. Shallow was great.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Definitely an AWESOME report! Nice work boys!

All I want to know is, are these mainland fish or are you near Isle Royal?

GlennRengo
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d like waypoints but if James or someone could tells us if we need a MN or Michigan license that would narrow it down a bit. Like James said “with a Lake that covers over 20 MILLION acres can be very frustrating at times”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’d like waypoints but if James or someone could tells us if we need a MN or Michigan license that would narrow it down a bit. Like James said “with a Lake that covers over 20 MILLION acres can be very frustrating at times”

You forgot about the great fishing in Ontario water just a few miles to the north of the launch at Grand Portage. grin

On this trip we fished in MI waters. In my experience the really good fishing in MN waters in that area doesn’t take off until mid-late August.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Nice work fellas. Will be out on the big lake Wednesday. Would not complain one bit getting some fish like that.

Aaron Zeuli

Hello,
    I have one question…How deep are the 5-6 color of lead core getting the spoons over 40-60 ft of water? This technique makes my very curious to try on my Canadian lakes. My walleye gear has either 12 or 18 lb lead core and usually takes 3-4 colors to get to 20′ with a #7 shad rap.
    Also what speeds was the boat going?

Any info is appreciated

Aaron Zeuli

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d be guessing James is using the Suffix Advanced LC. This line will sink at about 7 feet per color at 2.5 mph. So he’s getting 35-45′ out of those setups.

I’m convinced that most days +-5′ isn’t going to make much difference out on superior. 30′ water clarity is pretty forgiving.

Good speeds for lake trout is typically 2.0-2.4. I almost always start with 2.2 and adjust from there.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’d be guessing James is using the Suffix Advanced LC. This line will sink at about 7 feet per color at 2.5 mph. So he’s getting 35-45′ out of those setups.

I’m convinced that most days +-5′ isn’t going to make much difference out on superior. 30′ water clarity is pretty forgiving.

Good speeds for lake trout is typically 2.0-2.4. I almost always start with 2.2 and adjust from there.

Spot on info. Thanks for pinch hitting for me.

kroger3
    blaine mn

For me on 18# advanced leadcore and spoons I know that 5 colors can tick bottom at 38′ at 2.2-2.3mph.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Awesome report here fellas!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.