Lake Suggestions for Small Kids

• Dan
    Southeast MN

Looking for a lake/resort to take the kids to in the middle of August. The boys are 3 and 5 and love to fish and if the fishing is decent and they have enough snacks they’ll pretty much stay in the boat all day. I’ve been scrolling all over Google maps and looking at dozens of resorts to try and find the right place. The problem is I’ve got a pretty narrow window of what I’m looking for. I’ve been to some lakes that have decent fishing spots but it takes a little bit of a boat drive to get there, which takes up a bunch of time and generates the “when are we going to be there?” questions. And while I know wind can be unpredictable, there are some lakes that always seem to be windy, which I don’t really like dealing with when I’ve got the boys with. I’d also prefer to not have some drastic depth changes or dangerous boulders or anything because when you’re trying to break up kid fights while driving sometimes I don’t like worrying about where a big rock or shallow channel might be.

Don’t take my post the wrong way-it’s not meant to be negative. My life absolutely does not get any better than being out on the water, helping my kids catch fish. And then the looks on their faces when they get to see what’s inside a fish’s stomach at the cleaning house. The time out on the boat is great and I’ll be looking forward to it. I know there are some good lakes on the smaller side out there where the fishing can be good. Not too worried about location, we tend to drive 4-5 hours or more from home in southeast MN for our annual summer fishing trip. Some examples we’ve done are Sand Lake, Big Bass Lake, Lake Edward, Nokay Lake, etc. If anyone has a suggestion of something in that size range that can have good fishing I’d love to hear it. Thanks.

CaptainMusky

Most of the lakes inside the state of MN will have any hazards properly marked. Its when you get into the boundary waters or into canada where things arent marked and there is valid reason for it because they are everywhere!
    You should be able to find good fishing for panfish just about anywhere in MN. How long do you plan to stay? Just a few days or a week? Most resorts dont really like to rent for a few days unless its last minute and they had cancelations, etc. Fish Trap by Motley is a good lake and you could handle that lake almost any wind direction or speed. Lots of places to run and hide and there are bass, panfish, pike and even a stray walleye if you happen across them. I dont know how many resorts are on the lake. We stayed at one on the West side and it was nice for what we needed.

Riverrat

Ten-Mile Lake and Resort are kid friendly. Its two smaller lakes and a channel to fish. The swim area has those jungle gym inflatable things. Never stayed there since its near home, but looks fun, and fish there regularly. Smallmouth, largemouth walleye, crappie, and panfish. Between Alexandria and Fergus Falls. The Channel between the lakes only allows for smaller boats.

Deuces

Sounds like ur looking for good fishing for yourself and the Mrs then the kiddos. That age they aren’t expecting 10″ sunnies and 40″ pike. Most any lake in the state is gonna provide them w the entertainment of catchable pannies and the snake pike.

I’d opt out for whatever cabin has the best amenities, beach, floating swim pad, proximity to ice cream shops etc.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m biased, but tough to beat the Park Rapids area. Lot of small mom and pop resorts, and good fishing all over. Fish hook, Big Sand, Potato, Long are some of the bigger lakes, but the smaller ones can be good too. My parents live on Belle Taine, which is not the best fishing lake around, but would keep the kids busy and there is not a much cleaner, sandier bottom lake. There’s a few resorts and Campers Paradise on BT.

ThunderLund78

Fish Trap by Motley is a good lake and you could handle that lake almost any wind direction or speed. Lots of places to run and hide and there are bass, panfish, pike and even a stray walleye if you happen across them. I dont know how many resorts are on the lake. We stayed at one on the West side and it was nice for what we needed.

Will second this being a great lake for families and kids (and good multi-species fishing) – Our family cabin is on “the ‘Trap” and it checks all your boxes. Lots of Bays/islands if the wind’s blowing and fish are prety much weedline-related. Plenty of panfish, Bass and Pike and a few Walleyes too. Two resorts on the lake and both are great but the biggest one, Campfire Bay, has a LOT to do if the fishing isn’t meeting expectations or the boys get bored. Huge beach with lots of water toys, giant inflatable jump platforms, etc. They also do coordinated kids activities. Lake is big enough for plenty of tubing, etc and there’s a few popular sheltered “mid-lake” spots where people anchor and jump in. Water clarity is really good and clean. If you and the Mrs. need to get away for a drink or you’re looking for a good place for a family supper, 2-Tall Tavern is right across the road or there’s a couple of great restaurants on neighboring Lake Alexander, as well.

tim hurley

I agree with Werm P. Rapids, I would try to get in at the Jolly Fisherman. Because of its shape (Elbow Lake) you can usually get out of the wind, lots of sunnies tons of bass to keep it interesting & really no bad hazards. Finding larger crappies or sunnies is a challenge but they are there as are big bass. Great people run a very clean resort and the beach is perfect. Good Luck!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Edwards is a gem, along with N. Long and Round. Plus there’s alotta other stuff in Baxter/Nisswa for the kids to do. Mini golf, large slide, go carts.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ll also agree with Captain and thunderlund and say fish trap is an excellent choice. If fishing is a little slow on fishtrap or you want to try another lake. Both Alexander and Shamineau are real close. If you ask me Alexander is the Best fishing lake of the three of them. But all of them are rather good

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.