Lake Pepin first timer

• Braids19

Anyone been out on Pepin this year? If so, how has the bite been? I’m heading out there this weekend for the first time and am looking for some pointers on catching some eyes. I’ve heard running cranks and covering water is a good way to go. Any other input from you guys would be awesome.

Fish To Escape

Pulling cranks and covering water is a good way to go. Watch the wind, if it gets blowing lengthwise it can be pretty treacherous out there

snelson223
    Austin MN

Pulling cranks and covering water is a good way to go. Watch the wind, if it gets blowing lengthwise it can be pretty treacherous out there

It always seems no matter which direction the wind is blowing it’s going up or down the river.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

full moon friday so a trolling bite could be good in the bays? Im debating chasing eyes on Pepin or crappies in other lakes? scorcher tomorrow and the next few days. weekend looks favorable……live bait rigs at the foot of the lake would be my first choice, maybe move up to deer island and do a drift there? I got a feeling there is a big bug hatch going on but can’t confirm. I got blown off the water by storms about 10 days ago and my boat was covered in mayflies while loading……tis the season.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Fish To Escape wrote:</div>

It always seems no matter which direction the wind is blowing it’s going up or down the river.

I agree. However, there’s a distinct difference out there if it’s Blowing directly up or down the open lake, versus the winds bouncing around in the river valley to give it that same effect. When it’s a true shot, I’ve seen a lot of boats get in trouble out there.

shockers
    Rochester

For me, bite has been pretty slow if you’re looking for decent eyes. Lots of short fish and assorted other stuff (Sheep are on fire). And yes…if you’re first timer, watch the wind for sure. If we end up getting storms today/tomorrow, could be some debris in water too. Use extra caution – though always be careful on the river.

Foot of the lake might be a decent option, too. I haven’t tried that far down yet.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I was out on sunday and did well with live bait rigs in 8-12ft of water on a wind blown shorline and then picked up the rest of a limit of eaters in about 14ft trolling cranks. The water was 67-69 degrees.

Braids19

Thanks for the advice guys. Weather looks to be nice Saturday so I shouldn’t have to worry about the wind.

Ross Gunderson

any advice for the type of rap you like to run in those depths?

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I ran flicker shads and Jointed flicker shads with some reef runners in the mix as well.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I was out on sunday and did well with live bait rigs in 8-12ft of water on a wind blown shorline and then picked up the rest of a limit of eaters in about 14ft trolling cranks. The water was 67-69 degrees.

I was also out there on Sunday for the first time. We did the best with pitching jigs with live bait in 8’-12’. We didn’t get a thing trolling. What speed were they biting at?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m a big believer in cranks this time of year. Wind blown shorelines in 6 to 12 feet. The walleyes will often be in a certain depth range so experiment with depth. When you find them, match the crank depth so they run on the bottom. Don’t be afraid to move fast. Probably pushing 4 mph or more downstream.

If you pick up a few, spot lock and pitch jointed shad raps. You can also pitch jigs with leeches or crawlers when you find a pod.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Pepin can be that girl that puts out easily, then turns around teaches you that you do not know a thing about fishing Walleyes.

Have had 80 plus fish days, then full days of nada nothing not even Sheepies. One memorable day Jeremie and I were out with zip nada nothing, finally figured pulling slow death in 17-18 feet of water windy and rougher then all get out almost lost Jeremie over board. Started with six rods the bite was so fast and furious we were down to two rods. I could not let go of the my T8 tiller it was so rough so Jeremie was baiting and letting out line hand the rod to me set it in the rod holder bamm fish on, I would just hold the rod till he had the other rod ready I would hand him the rod with the fish on and he would hand me the rod he just set out. 80 plus walleyes and I do not believe I reeled maybe two.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I was running 3.0-3.2mph up river.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Did well at the foot of the lake. 3 to 3.5 up stream down. Down Stream was 4 plus. What a HOOT when they hit at those speeds.!!

Braids19

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gunsmith89 wrote:</div>

Did well at the foot of the lake. 3 to 3.5 up stream down. Down Stream was 4 plus. What a HOOT when they hit at those speeds.!!

Any particular depth work better than others?

Braids19

It was really slow. Only ended up with 4 combined walleyes and saugers. It was hard for us to troll the spots we wanted to with the large crowds. I’m guessing it’s like that on Pepin just about every weekend.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

It was really slow. Only ended up with 4 combined <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes and saugers. It was hard for us to troll the spots we wanted to with the large crowds. I’m guessing it’s like that on Pepin just about every weekend.

yes grasshopper, I couldn’t imagine the boat traffic last weekend. first light or last few hours out there on weekends once the nice weather moves in.

shockers
    Rochester

Yup. Saturday was absolutely crazy out there. Never seen so many trailers parked along the road with the overflow from launch etc.

I should have left earlier than I did.

I practiced my “Zen” for the loading process while waiting to load etc. Serenity Now…..

triton186
    Hudson, WI

That’s how it was on the St. Croix Saturday morning at 5:30 AM, although at that time of the morning there are some pretty accomplished “boat launchers”.

Targeting Pepin on Saturday morning at the crack of dawn (Colville) or are there other launches you would recommend?

shockers
    Rochester

Any launch on Pepin around Lake City (Hoksila and Roschen) will probably be crazy busy again. I don’t normally launch at Colville this time of year, so can’t say how busy/or not it’s been. It’s a nice launch, though, so wouldn’t discourage it.

Others here might have suggestions, too.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>river rat randy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>river rat randy wrote:</div>

5 to 12. with 8 to 10 being the best.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.