Lake Osakis Report

• Carl Olson
    Mazeppa Minnesota

Here is my first report with IDO:

Spent 3 days up at Lake Osakis with my dad. Surface water temp was around 73, wind blew hard at 15-20 all three days so it was a bit rough. We hit a few different main lake bars for walleye and panfish with limited success. Didn’t mark much on the locator, and the wind made it tough stay on the marks we did see. A few good 10-13in crappies were had and a fat 10in bluegill!

The few walleyes that we did catch came shallow, 6-8 ft. There was a point on the north end of the lake that made for some shallow water trolling/casting, and they hit a shallow diving shad rap in perch color. Dad also caught good walleye casting that shallow shad rap to some bullrushes:

And since I like fishing bass a little, dad let me look around and see what could be found. My best two were 18 and 18.5, on a wacky rigged 4 in senko style bait, with 5-6 others between 15-17:

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2598.jpg

2. IMG_2596-2.jpg

3. IMG_2599-1.jpg

4. IMG_2600-2.jpg

5. IMG_2593-1.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Awesome first report! Glad you got some fish! There are a pile of walleye out there but they can be difficult to find. The recent tournament out there yielded some very nice bags. The north end is usually where the better fish are found this time of year.

I look forward to future reports waytogo

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Great report. I really like Osakis. As Joe mentioned a ton of walleyes in the lake but dam if they don’t throw you a few curve balls. The pan fish population in the lake is very good right now and offers some great days on the water or ice. From Dog fish to Walleyes Lake Osakis has plenty of fishing opportunities.

Carl Olson
    Mazeppa Minnesota

Yeah, last year we didn’t have a problem finding walleyes but this year was tough, but its a really healthy lake. And Dogfish! I almost forgot! a couple huge dogfish, the one we weighed was 8lbs!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.