Lake Elmo Fishing

• hot tamale

Howdy! Anyone have experience fishing Lake Elmo in east metro? Hearing they’ve got good size bass. Thinking about trying it out this week.

Seeing that its a “hard lake to fish” because of water depths and clarity… is that true? Let me know if its worth my time for bass/northern.
    Thank you!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Never bass fished there but I have targeted tiger muskies there a few times. The current state record tiger muskie is from that lake. It is a cooler, deeper lake that has Cisco/tulibee which would allow muskies and sizable pike to feed on.

Being that the water is so clear, I would fish at night, especially this time of year. Target drop offs and any kind of points sticking into the main lake.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“Being that the water is so clear, I would fish at night, especially this time of year. Target drop offs and any kind of points sticking into the main lake”

The only access I’m aware of is through the park, is that open 24 hours?

Caught a lot of Bass in that lake over the years. Even when the water cleared up I found plenty of Bass in shallow water, as long as there was some decent cover.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The park hours are 6am – 11pm. So ya I guess you wouldn’t be able to stay out there all night.

LabDaddy1

CarrrAZAYYY that sucker gets to 125 give or take feet deep. Does it really have a whitefish/tullibee population? I wouldn’t be surprised at that depth but it’s gotta be the only lake within an hour or so of the inner metro to be able to sustain that? White bear is the only one I can think of that could even come close to it in the metro area as far as depth/temp/clarity/substrate… maybe I’m wrong but either way it’s an outlier and pretty bad*ss!

Edit: and maybe some parts of Minnetonka

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

To my understanding it’s the only lake in the area with a self-sustaining population of tulibee because of its depths and ability to maintain colder water.

It’s the exact reason the state record tiger muskie is from that lake, as I previously mentioned.

tim hurley

I used to fish it a bunch-at the time it got a lot of pressure for its size. Finesse tactics worked for me,also caught some decent pike-too bad I never got a tiger, cool fish.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve fished it many times for bass. There are some decent largemouth in there and it can be good fun in the right conditions.

Ask at the park office about getting out of the gate after closing. I believe there is a way to open the out gate that allows people to exit the park, basic safety would dictate that.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

One time I caught a bass there went 6lbs. 4 oz. Length was 19.8 inches. An absolute gord.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.