Know why I like marcum over vex?

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Because a LX5 is all I own and if i’m enjoying it, it means i’m out fishing.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you were out open water fishing and had a Vex, then you would have an anchor. rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

That one always cracks me up – ain’t that right 31lifer?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Well good for you

Buckeye86
    Inactive

Which one came first?

Ryan Wilson

Coming first doesn’t make you a winner… Lmao

Vex owners are some touchy critters )

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I own both. For what It is worth. I’ve not had good luck with the LX5 since the day I’ve got it. Took both out with me this last weekend. The LX5 would not work so I pulled out the old Vex and it worked great. I know what the problem may be with the marcum. The transducer got stuck or should I say welded in the transducer holder space right after I received it many years ago. After breaking it free with a ton of pounding it had a large chunk out of the bottom of the transducer. Called marcum and there was some doubt about if that was my problem. I’ve since got the transducer stuck many more times and have even more chunks missing g from it. Marcum said for 90.00 or so $ I could send it in and they would do some testing and do a TUNEUP on it and replace the transducer if necessary. Guess I’ll need to send it in. Needless to say if it comes back and still works like crap I’m done with Marcum. I know more than a few friends that switched back from Marcum to Vex and are thrilled that they did.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Like everything out there each and every brand has their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I have neither and am perfectly fine with that. I have an ice kit for my Lowrance Elite 5 HDI out of the boat and it works awesome for me. I saw no reason to buy more electronics when I already had it. That being said I think the original point is a good one. If I’m out fishing I don’t care if its through a hole in the ice with no electronics. Beats the hell out of sitting at work. For me ice fishing is just a way to pass the time and have some fun till I can get the boat out anyway.

PS – And at least I don’t drive one of those Fords with an Aluminum bed that crunches like a Coors can…

coffee

CaptainMusky

I own both. For what It is worth. I’ve not had good luck with the LX5 since the day I’ve got it. Took both out with me this last weekend. The LX5 would not work so I pulled out the old Vex and it worked great. I know what the problem may be with the marcum. The transducer got stuck or should I say welded in the transducer holder space right after I received it many years ago. After breaking it free with a ton of pounding it had a large chunk out of the bottom of the transducer. Called marcum and there was some doubt about if that was my problem. I’ve since got the transducer stuck many more times and have even more chunks missing g from it. Marcum said for 90.00 or so $ I could send it in and they would do some testing and do a TUNEUP on it and replace the transducer if necessary. Guess I’ll need to send it in. Needless to say if it comes back and still works like crap I’m done with Marcum. I know more than a few friends that switched back from Marcum to Vex and are thrilled that they did.

there was a guy who posted on this site a couple weeks ago with the same problem and Marcum sent him a new transducer no questions asked.

riverbottoms

Because a LX5 is all I own and if i’m enjoying it, it means i’m out fishing.

Marcum or Vex?
    When you read on the various ice fishing sites who seems to have the most problems?
    I’ll leave that assumption up to you!

curleytail

I like the first post. I like it because I have it and it works, is the message I took from that.

I have a Vexilar Fl-8 that’s probably 20 years old. It needs new brushes but otherwise it keeps on ticking. Caught thousands of fish with it and even ran it in my boat during the summer for quite a few years.

Got a Marcum Lx-7 last year. Amazing piece of technology and it works great. For the short time I’ve used it, it has caught a lot of fish. Love it.

Couple years ago I rigged up a Lowrance 520C to use on ice. GPS is nice, works well for catching fish. Not as user friendly as the Marcum, but ability to zoom in on a suspended school of crappies wins in that respect over the old Vexilar.

My experience with 3 different brands and types of sonar is they are all good. All different, but all have done just what they are supposed to do and have made me very happy.

Tucker

AlligatorDundee

I never use my Vex or LX9.

I have not jigged a rod for years Zzzzz.

I like to watch Fatty Patty smoke

and inhale. I’m addicted. I do this

everyday

Attachments:
    1. 20150201_094931.jpg

2. 20150201_094930.jpg

Charles

I like my marcum because it pisses my buddy off with a lowrance unit with all the interference it causes on his end. haha.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I like my marcum because it pisses my buddy off with a lowrance unit with all the interference it causes on his end. haha.

rotflol rotflol rotflol

On mine you can usually get rid of it with the Noise filtering…But I understand if you don’t want to tell your buddy that.

SW Eyes

This conversation goes both ways, and it just depends on the experiences you have.

For me, I use Marcum exclusively. Vex is more expensive, and the quality isn’t any better. It’s a perception thing. I switched to Marcum years ago because I got tired of interference issues and awful storage options (you’re gouged for every little extra with vexilar).

Im guessing “more than a few” people switching to vex from marcum because of issues and being “thrilled” is a slight exaggeration.

castle-rock-clown

I’ve been a Marcum guy for a few years, first was a LX7 then upgraded to LX9. Both show fish and larger submerged structure. I bought a Vex FL22 and outfitted it with a Pro View transducer. Holy cow, the same structure shows more detail and I can see my smallest crappie jig in the structure. This is with the gain set to just a hair off minimum which produces the narrowest cone, about 9 degrees. But all in all both work great and my actual main reason for buying the Vex was when fishing side by side with my main fishing partner, my nephew, his Vex interferes with my Marcum, and when I adjust it out I also loose my lure. I’ve played endlessly with the sensitivity, target, and ir, and using the narrowest cone angle an I still loose my lure. To see it I have to put up with a static storm. Now, I haven’t fished yet this year with him, so I will see in the future if this cures my dilemma.

milemark_714

Which one came first?

Lowrance Green box or Humminbird Super 60.Before the days of 3-color flashers.

marvins
    Kansas

I think my big gold box ray Jefferson portable was first????

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Yea, my point was simply: “I like fishing.”

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I like turtles. tongue

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Which one came first?

Obviously the best one! Just like search engines, first on the market = best.

Where all my ‘Archie’ users at?

31lifer

I do believe Team Vexilar kicked Team Marcum’s butt up on LOW two weeks ago. I will put my FL-20 up against any Marcum product!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I do believe Team Vexilar kicked Team Marcum’s butt up on LOW two weeks ago. I will put my FL-20 up against any Marcum product!

Clearly you were drinking heavily! waytogo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keep it going guy’s, this is almost as good as vikings/packers.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, this got lost in the whole peeing contest.

AndRo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buckeye86 wrote:</div>
    Which one came first?

Obviously the best one! Just like search engines, first on the market = best.

Where all my ‘Archie’ users at?

You may have gone far too nerd on this one for the masses.

jarrod holbrook

My marcum has the signal jamming feature that renders all vexilars in a 100′ radius useless with interference. Clearly gives me the edge!

Round House

I had a vex FL18 for years and then I went to a showdown. I wanted color so I moved to an awesome deal on a Hummingbird Ice-45 which I still have. Then after much research I purchased a Marcum LX7. Hands down the best ice fishing investment I have made in technology. Haven’t had any problems yet after 2 years of use and I am very happy with the Marcum.

Brad Dostal

To each his own on what the prefer or have had the best luck with. I have a Hummingbird ice 35 that I like. I also bought a Marcum LX7 which I liked With the big screen and options but I did have issues with mine in shallow water mostly. I did not try to get service through Marcum so I cannot comment on their service. I decided to purchase a Vexilar FLX28 and I have absolutely loved it and it has been very dependable. Like I said to each his own but my best experience has been with my Vexilar FLX28.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I also like fishing! And turtles. Also warm homemade cinnamon rolls, one of which I’m eating right now! But I’d still rather be fishing. waytogo

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

When I first started ice fishing back in the late 1800’s I had a Zircom Clearwater Classic. I still have and let guests use it , usually folks that only get out once a year or so. I use my HB 597 and like it but will probably upgrade soon, I’d really like a camera.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.