Kirby vacuums.

• MNdrifter

Holy Mooooly. These things cost more than a used 2005 Buick lesabre. Anybody actually buy one and are they worth it? Wife and I had a sales pitch thrown at us today (3hrs long). My wife (who has OCD with her cleaning) wants one really bad after seeing what it picked up on our floor,ceiling,ceiling fans,mattresses, etc. He came down substantially but holy crap! Anybody buy one, how cheap did you get it? Thinking I may call and offer him something for our wedding anniversary in a couple weeks but I don’t know if it’s really worth it or not.

MNdrifter.

Iowaboy1

ask for a rebuilt unit,they are done in house last I knew and work just as good as a new one at about half the price,well,that is if they still offer one that way.
    we had one years ago and it never let us down,thats probably why the ex took it lol.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Well yes honey, I really am excited about using the new kirby. I will even use it in the boat. coffee
    What do we have for our anniversary dinner honey.

Just funnin!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Kirby salespeople are worse than time share people.
    I would have said, “give me a second while I google Kirby prices” then watch him squirm.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

If you sat thru a 3-hour sales pitch for a vacuum cleaner I’d say you already fulfilled your anniversary duties! The list of things I’m willing to spend 3 hours of free time on is pretty short… Fishing, watching football, and anything my kids are into. If it takes that long to buy/sell you have officially lost my business.

Seriously though, can’t you just read some reviews and hit YouTube to see it in action, hit order and have a vacuum on your doorstep in 2 days? The function of most consumer goods sales people in 2017 is a total mystery to me.

munchy
    NULL

I once had a Kirby salesman come to my door, I was about to close the door on him when he asked if I had a section of dirty carpet he could show me the shampoo attachment. (I was actually planning on renting a rug doctor that weekend) I sat through an hour sales pitch, laughed when he said the price($2000 at that time), and when he left I had clean carpeting. devil

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

The shark we have could suck the nails out of the floor and it wasn’t that pricey

catnip
    south metro

We have 2 of them and they work good and will out last any other vacuum out there. There is a kirby store in Apple valley and he sells some refurbished units as well as tune ups and what not. He will also polish a used one to look better than a new one. I have seen them in there for around $300 or so.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

LOL. my buddy was a Kirby salesman for about a week. This was 15 years ago. He used to tell me that there were only 2 people in that company that made money, the owner and this one salesman kid who made 6 figures. He said that this kid used the same ploy every time. He would enter the home and when he encountered some stairs he would trip and fake a fall. The idea being that he would fain being really embarrassed and the home owners would feel bad for him. IDK apparently it worked. I wouldnt spend more than $100 on a vacuum myself. Now if you ask my wife boy oh boy she would empty the account on one. Some people are crazy with what they will spend their hard earned cash on. Excuse me i need to go sort my 16 tackle boxes.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I have one. Great vacuum. Skip the shampoo option. I got a Bissell Green machine for that job. I bought mine used for $300. I got a slightly older model that has 2 speed switch. Still has the LED to show if the brush is spinning. Bring it up to the fish house once every winter. If I want to do the boat good I will lift it in and do the bulk of the carpet.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve had bad allergies my whole life to dust and pets. My house growing up had at least a few cats and other critters which made life interesting but everytime the vacuum came on, or we had cleaning day it was disaster zone for tissues and inhaler.

With that said later in life years ago when I moved back in with her for a short time with all the same amount of animals we had the normal cleaning routines and overall the same amount of cleanliness(which my mom’s house was always pretty clean) my first time using her rainbow vac which is water filtrated was freaking awesome. Didn’t sneeze once or have issues whatsoever. Can’t really say how amazing that is.

Not able to really give any other testimony. My houses have always been hardwoods, and my Mom also got different house with all new hardwoods as well. That vac don’t get used much anymore except for an air purifier.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Speaking as a 5 star Kirby sales person for 6 years that never had to fake a fall and shampooed many carpets for free…reconditioned are a good buy. They don’t come with the $xx.xx reconditioning warranty but if the price is right, you’ll be able to buy several for the price of a new.

The biggest complaint with Kirby’s are they are heavy. But once shown the lower handle that complaint goes away.

I agree there are better shampooers out there. Kirby uses a dry foam and doesn’t soak the carpet which makes (most) carpets shrink. It’s important to remember that once carpet is shot, no shampooer or vacuum will make it new again.

Kirby sales people work off of commission only. Please keep that in mind when you shoot him a lowball price. You know you’re going to get one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS by design any upright will out perform a canister on carpeting. Doesn’t make much difference on bare floors.

Kirby’s convert from to a canister to an upright to a portavac. Without seeing a 3 hours demo, most just know the Kirby as an upright. )

MNdrifter

BK, you really should be the Dos Equis “most interesting man in the world” lol. Yeah your probably right, “you know your going to get one”. She really doesn’t ask for much and being married to me for 11 years has got to be worth something. She brought out the big guns today, (the four wheeler that I barely use, and the 5yo pickup with only 25k miles on it). Thanks guys for the thoughts. I think I will check on the refurbished one. See about that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.