Kicker Motor Mounting

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had a little issue where my kicker fell off. Didn’t use the smartest method for mounting because it is impossible to access the inside of my transom. So I used lag bolts.

I need a more reliable fastener this time. I’m considering toggle bolts/nuts. Has anyone ever done this? Thoughts?

I’m using a setback motor mount on my kicker. I’ll add a pic below.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2692.jpg

2. IMG_3024.jpg

3. IMG_3025.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

The problem with toggles is that you have to drill such a large hole to use them, could be very difficult to seal.

Why not cut a 4″ hole and cover it with a deck plate, so you can do it right?

HRG

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Why not cut a 4″ hole and cover it with a deck plate, so you can do it right?

I’ll consider it.

I have a 3″ hole but all my control cables and gas hoses are running through it. Can’t fit my hand in there.

I’m concerned about the strength of the toggles more than anything. Sealing the holes I’m confident with. The motor mount is well above the waterline anyway.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’m concerned about the strength of the toggles more than anything. Sealing the holes I’m confident with. The motor mount is well above the waterline anyway.

Take a look at this page from McMaster, I think I’d look at the never-drop style, or the threaded-stud style, which requires a smaller hole. Too bad they don’t offer it in stainless.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#toggle-anchors/=147q0ff

HRG

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nice. I love McMaster. For some reason I forgot to check there when I found the toggle bolts. I’d be willing to use plated steel. I can always replace them after 5 years.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

You used lag bolts to mount a kicker motor? WOW!!! you need to cut a bigger access hole so you can get your arm in there. Then install a access cover to seal it up. Do it right so your kicker won’t fall off again. Toggle bolts are NOT the answer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You used lag bolts to mount a kicker motor? WOW!!! you need to cut a bigger access hole so you can get your arm in there. Then install a access cover to seal it up. Do it right so your kicker won’t fall off again. Toggle bolts are NOT the answer.

Thanks. Very insightful considering your idea has already been mentioned. Crap like that makes me wonder why I even posed this.

Do us all a favor and bite your tounge next time you feel like posting.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Don’t take it like that. I would say the same thing to you in person. I am not ragging on you, I am expressing my reaction in words. Then I gave you solid advice on how to fix your problem. Sorry if I offended you trying to express my surprise reaction when I read your post. It was the same “WOW” that I said the other day when my cat returned after about 7 months being gone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.