Kicker Motor control packages (throttle + steering)

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Does anyone have experience with the combination of Trollmaster Pro3 for remote throttle and Powertran Python steering control of a kicker motor?

The Powertran system appears to turn more quickly than the comparable Panther Electrosteer, going lock-to-lock in 2 seconds. Wondering if this is true in real-world use?
    Also how well does the Trollmaster Pro3 remote handle the steering controls of a connected system?

Looking at the Panther steering and iTroll throttle control systems too, but the Trollmaster + Powertran looks like it would handle my needs for frequent sharp turns better than others.

All input on the combination is welcome, as well as on other brands.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If your looking into kicker motor steering controls, check out what garmin has.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

That looks really fast. I wonder if it is actually over correcting at times though.

FDR

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I saw that video about a year ago and is the only one I’ve watched. There are several others for the TR1 on YouTube.

I’d be very surprised if Garmin isn’t one of the best on the market. They’ve been making autopilots for quite some time.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i’m not looking for autopilot, so Garmin’s technology is more than i need. which is okay, since it’s more expensive too: their “entry level” pack is a smooth $1k and simply maintains your course.

i’m looking for a handheld remote (wired or wireless) that will allow me to steer and control the throttle on the kicker. the ability to turn the kicker quickly is key for me, and a couple of throttle pre-sets would be nice.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Looks like the system in the video needs a compensator for roll, pitch and yaw. R,P and Y will cause that constant rapid movement back and forth, for some reason I want to say it is a gyro sensor or gyro compass. These cheaper units they sell for kickers generally don’t come with the a very good compass which will give the result we see in the video in rough seas, especially in smaller boats that are more prone to RPY.

If you’re not fishing really big water, IMO a modern bow electric with remote, possibly hooked to your graph is a better option for contour trolling applications. Spend the money on good batteries.

The Pro2 is all you really need for speed control IMO, especially if it’s a tiller kicker. In the 10 yrs I’ve ran a kicker, I’ve only needed to steer with it a handful of times.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

If you’re not fishing really big water, IMO a modern bow electric with remote, possibly hooked to your graph is a better option for contour trolling applications. Spend the money on good batteries.

Yes, I have used that approach at slower speeds. I’m looking for something that will handle quick turns while in the 3-7mph range where the electric bowmount gets overrun.

I’ve been using a kicker handle extension and it works fine (as slaving to the big motor and steering wheel turns too slow), just wondering if anyone has experience with a hydraulic solution at the kicker where I could go hands-free.

That makes sense now. That’s some fast trolling. Muskie? I usually just sit and steer like a car with the big motor if I’m trying that fast.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

yeah, the big motor turns too slowly for what we’re doing, so running the kicker as a tiller is more effective. and also, a lot of work for my back and shoulders over the course of a week. ;-)

if there’s a hydraulic option that could do the work for me, still turn the boat fast enough around tight structure, and get the tiller extension handle out of our way, i’d be all for it.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i got a hands-on look at the Powertran Python and iTroll systems this weekend at the muskie expo in Milwaukee. that combination looks like the right solution for me. really informative to be able to talk to them in person and see the steering unit operate.

only limiting factor is that i’ll have to put my kicker on a set-back plate as the clearance between motor is gunnel is too tight on my Skeeter for the Python motor.

David Blais

Tofte Charters had the garmin and it worked fast like that. It worked great. Not sure how it would do on a smaller boat though. If i remember correct, it was prettt spendy as well

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’m getting the PowrTran and iTroll combo installed in a couple weeks. Can’t wait to test it on my boat, I’ll post a video review once I do.

I run the Python Steering from Powrtran as well as a Trollmaster. I love having both of these units excel for different applications. I find that the Python Steering exels for open water applications and doesn’t confine you to the drivers seat for the remote kicker option whereas the Trollmaster allows you to utilize the steering wheel for more precise control when working tight to structure.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Run a PowrTran Wireless Steering system as well. What I love about it, is that Like Justin said, I am not confined to the drivers seat.

Biggest thing for us is it gives us honestly better control. We had the bar tied to the big motor and felt limited in range. Now with the PowrTran we have much farther range from the kicker going side to side, which allows us to get better contour trolling. It is much easier than muscling the wheel as well.

I have tried both the wireless remote and the actually button for the system and both work really good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.