Kicker Jumping Main motor

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

I have not run a kicker before so I wanted to check with you guys about a thought I had running around in my head.
    Say for some reason your main battery dies and you pull start your kicker and run it a bit- Can you start your Main motor while the kicker is running sort of like jumping one car from another with out causing Any Damage ? Providing they both are run from one battery.

I mean is this one of those dumb things one does and it end up costing them big bucks to learn that you dont do this ?
    Thanks
    James W

Bryan Myers

It can be done and I have done it myself. But it usually takes awhile because most kickers don’t put out a lot of amperage to charge the battery. So if you run it for a while especially at a higher rpm then lots of times that will charge the battery up enough to get the big motor cranked again. Sometimes it’s easier and quicker to use a set of jumper cables to jump the big motor.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

It can be done and I have done it myself. But it usually takes awhile because most kickers don’t put out a lot of amperage to charge the battery. So if you run it for a while especially at a higher rpm then lots of times that will charge the battery up enough to get the big motor cranked again. Sometimes it’s easier and quicker to use a set of jumper cables to jump the big motor.

From the trolling motors’ battery I assume?

ChasinWalleye

I have done this before, most newer motors are very picky on how much voltage/amperage to turn over big motors. My locator ran my starter battery down, fired up the kicker ran it wide open for 20 minutes then the big motor started.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thanks Every one for setting me straight on this. I just did not want to do something dumb and well – pay for it in the end big time. This is all good to know.
    Thanks again
    James W

kroger3
    blaine mn

I have had to do it before. My kicker is a Yamaha T8 and main motor is an Yamaha Off Shore 300. I had to shut off any other thing drawing power then kicker started right up and held the kicker wide open for about 5 minutes then had enough to start the big motor. Have also done it on my previous boat which had a T8 and F150 also took about 5 minutes.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Technology again has advanced to where you can carry a very small jump pack for around $100 in your boat to bail you out of trouble if needed. Makes for a great Christmas gift also (if any wives are searching). We carry these at SBC in Ramsey and have great success with them!

Attachments:
    1. jump-packs.jpg

kroger3
    blaine mn

Technology again has advanced to where you can carry a very small jump pack for around $100 in your boat to bail you out of trouble if needed. Makes for a great Christmas gift also (if any wives are searching). We carry these at SBC in Ramsey and have great success with them!

Great for the pickup to! I can say from first hand experience its no fun pulling a boat battery out to start your pickup because your buddy backed you down the ramp and left the lights on…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It would work, but be aware that in most small outboards the stator (the equivalent of a car’s alternator) does not produce massive amounts of power. Even at higher RPMs. So if the starting battery is really run down, it could take quite a bit of running time for the kicker to produce enough of a charge so the big motor will start.

IMO, carrying jumper cables, a battery pack, or at the very least having enough tools to move one of the trollig motor batteries back and connect it as a starter battery would be a quicker fix.

Grouse

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If you frequently stress your batteries, it’s time for more and bigger batteries.

I’m setup for several days of run time.

I’ve considered putting jumpers in my boat, but odds of me draining my starting batteries is quite low, and if it happens I’ll spend twenty minutes disconnecting trolling motor battery and moving to rear.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    If you frequently stress your batteries, it’s time for more and bigger batteries.

My same thought…. but I still carry a small set of cables tucked away in the boat. Not only if I ever needed them for anything, but also, seems like every spring I jump someone else not prepared on the lake. Good karma is always welcomed in the boat.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

. but I still carry a small set of cables tucked away in the boat. Not only if I ever needed them for anything, but also, seems like every spring I jump someone else not prepared on the lake. Good karma is always welcomed in the boat.

Ah… Good man!!
    Never ran into that situation on the water but have seen the battery swap many times at the landing before they can shove off.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Ah… Good man!!
    Never ran into that situation on the water but have seen the battery swap many times at the landing before they can shove off.

I’ve seen this one. Wait, I’ve done this one. Long stories but have had to pull the main battery out and replace it with a trolling battery. Don’t know why my buddy doesn’t put a set of cables in the boat. Cheap insurance.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thank you Cal and I shall pass this along as my wish list.
    That is also good to know that you stock them in Ramsey.
    James W

Phil Ames

Something else to think about, is wiring in a main switch that allows you to use it to jump starter battery with the troll batteries, or use it a main shut off switch as well. I will be putting one in my boat over the winter and my next boats will have them as well.

mojogunter

I believe that the kicker motor has to have electric start on it to have an alternator. I was told that by somebody. I am old and can’t remember who told me that, but it would make sense. Maybe somebody that knows for sure can verify that.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Something else to think about, is wiring in a main switch that allows you to use it to jump starter battery with the troll batteries, or use it a main shut off switch as well. I will be putting one in my boat over the winter and my next boats will have them as well.

I did that in my last boat until I added a 24v system, and the fact that I never needed it; but I had the same thoughts when I wired the mess up that way.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.