Keeping holes from freezing/Dipping Candles

• Nota Whopper

Anyone got any solutions to keep holes from icing up and “dipping candles” on your line? I usually use spring bobbers and it does not take much ice to mess up sensitivity. I have tried sardine oil, Berkley alive scent, other scent and nothing seems to work. I even tried putting black ping pong balls to absorb sunshine. You guys up north should be able to educate someone who lives on the southern edge of the ice belt.
    I even scoop the holes every few minutes when fishing outside the shelter. Inside the shelter is not too bad unless it is very windy and bitter cold.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Lewy

I use a #10 metal can that you can buy at any store that sells bulk vegetables or a coffee can, put the can next to the hole and put 6 to 8 charcoal pieces in and light it up. It will melt the snow or ice underneath next to the hole and the warm water runs into the hole and never freezes up. It also makes a great hand warmer when your running from hole to hole:)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I use a #10 metal can that you can buy at any store that sells bulk vegetables or a coffee can, put the can next to the hole and put 6 to 8 charcoal pieces in and light it up. It will melt the snow or ice underneath next to the hole and the warm water runs into the hole and never freezes up. It also makes a great hand warmer when your running from hole to hole:)

This does work extremely well when you are outside of your shelter. It is a real old old trick we used before portable shelters were even a thing. Doesn’t solve the icing of the guides but the hole will not freeze.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

A roll of toilet paper in a coffee can and pour on some rubbing alcohol, works great

Nota Whopper

Both sound like great ideas, but how do you move them once they are hot? Maybe a handle of some type?

Brent Bakke
    Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta Canada

What works for me is an old pair of structure firefighter gloves, being a FF I use an old pair for grabbing things that are hot like the handle of the cast iron fry pan for the ice fish fry, coffee kettle, move burning fire wood, anything really hot. If your local volunteer or career house doesn’t have any to give away they are easy to order and are worth the effort as they are great for hard water fishing and camping!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hand warmers inside a plastic ziplock back in the hole off to the side

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

What kind of hand warmer? Mine require Oxygen to keep hot.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Both sound like great ideas, but how do you move them once they are hot? Maybe a handle of some type?

Grab the lip of the can with a pair of pliers. Or add a wire bail that extends out away from the can and stays relatively cool.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

What kind of hand warmer? Mine require Oxygen to keep hot.

I’ve always kept the bag full of air or partial full

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.