K Drill – What’s the deal ?

• JohnE

So 1st full season with new 8 inch K drill and a 20 amp hour Dewalt. Fine drilling holes up till the last 2 times out with that 12 to 16 inches of ice. If I stop drilling and clear ice out of hole the drill will not bite into the ice again and will just spin in the clean hole unless I rock it and change angle which I am not real excited about doing. So now I figure just start a hole and continue until I am through. Works better but if I just let the drill run at full speed and not hold it back a little a few times the drill kicked of. Take it must be an overload circuit on the drill. Not a big issue but ??? So can anybody shed some light on the use of this set up. Still got the gas auger so I think I get some new gas for it ???

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Just about ever auger I’ve owned,I had to angle it just slightly some for it to bite.

Angler II

So 1st full season with new 8 inch K drill and a 20 amp hour Dewalt. Fine drilling holes up till the last 2 times out with that 12 to 16 inches of ice. If I stop drilling and clear ice out of hole the drill will not bite into the ice again and will just spin in the clean hole unless I rock it and change angle which I am not real excited about doing. So now I figure just start a hole and continue until I am through. Works better but if I just let the drill run at full speed and not hold it back a little a few times the drill kicked of. Take it must be an overload circuit on the drill. Not a big issue but ??? So can anybody shed some light on the use of this set up. Still got the gas auger so I think I get some new gas for it ???

What drill are you using?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve had that happen with multiple augers of multiple brands. I think there may be some shavings that stay in the bottom of the hole and keep the blades from biting. The ole “tilt the auger a little” trick will get them to bite again.

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

I had the K-Drill 6 inch bit and a 20v brushless motor DeWalt drill at the beginning of the season. 1st time out I had trouble getting holes drilled in 8/9 inches of ice. Drill kept making a strange grinding noise and the bit wouldn’t bite the ice good. Luckily I had a friend with us and he used his auger and we got holes drilled. I did some research and found the bit manufacturers have specific drill models from DeWalt and Milwaukee listed on their websites and on either their product boxes or the paperwork in the box. Needless to say thinking the drill and bit weren’t a good combo I took both back and got the 8 inch Pistol bit from Eskimo and one of the Milwaukee drill models they have recommended on their website. Haven’t had any issues since..just drilled five holes the other day in at least 15 inches of ice without fail. I probably had a non recommended drill without the torque needed to operate the drill bit. Make sure you have one of the specific models K-Drill recommends and you should be good.

JohnE

Thanks for your replies !

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What drill model are you using?I’m guessing you mean 20 volt. Need at least the 4 ah batteries. Need a 900 series drill with 3 speeds in first gear, clutch set to drill, not hammer drill.

MNBOWHUNTIN

Ice building up on the bottom of the flite. On and around the blades.

Different auger, but I have noticed the lite flite is more prone to ice buildup than my lazer pro. I have one of those yellow slush scoops with the hockey stick handle, couple whacks with the wood handle breaks that ice off.

Joe K

Few things that I’ve run into, beyond just drill power (I consider this one a given as the manufacturer has specs for them)

#1 is make sure the auger isn’t iced up. I’ve had that happen with my kdrill and it stops it dead. Doing a few revolutions in the just drilled hole (so in the water) while drawing the auger out and then giving a few more midair flicks the water off. Don’t set the setup on snow/ice if you can help it. I always set mine in my sled. Spray PAM cooking spray on the auger before heading out. Since doing the above I haven’t had any ice ups in my last 3 times (2 prior I did)

After drilling your last hole, before you lay the auger aside, drill into some hard ice for a bit. That’ll help dry it off and keep the cutting head clear of ice buildup.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

After drilling your last hole, before you lay the auger aside, drill into some hard ice for a bit. That’ll help dry it off and keep the cutting head clear of ice buildup.

If you do this, PLEASE fill in your partial hole so someone does not break an ankle when stepping into it. Thanks

hnd

I had the K-Drill 6 inch bit and a 20v brushless motor DeWalt drill at the beginning of the season. 1st time out I had trouble getting holes drilled in 8/9 inches of ice. Drill kept making a strange grinding noise and the bit wouldn’t bite the ice good. Luckily I had a friend with us and he used his auger and we got holes drilled. I did some research and found the bit manufacturers have specific drill models from DeWalt and Milwaukee listed on their websites and on either their product boxes or the paperwork in the box. Needless to say thinking the drill and bit weren’t a good combo I took both back and got the 8 inch Pistol bit from Eskimo and one of the Milwaukee drill models they have recommended on their website. Haven’t had any issues since..just drilled five holes the other day in at least 15 inches of ice without fail. I probably had a non recommended drill without the torque needed to operate the drill bit. Make sure you have one of the specific models K-Drill recommends and you should be good.

my old neighbor ran a kdrill with an old nicad dewalt drill with nowhere near the torque recommended and while only gets 5-10 holes a trip, thats all he’s ever needed.

hnd

its not the drill. it doesn’t take much to turn it and it will cut in slow fashion. don’t put any pressure on the drill and don’t let ice build up on the blades.

i have another friend who’d dad bought what appears to be a bum kdrill. i believe kdrill is sending him new bits.

Joe K

Oh also forgot to mention. Make sure the drill is in low gear and on drill mode (not screw or hammer). Also, obvious I know, but check the chuck is still tightly secured. They can come loose if not tightened well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.