K-Drill Auger Carrier for UTV / Ranger

• Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Well, the itch for ice season is starting early this year…maybe it’s the cool weather we’ve been having recently.

Looking to set up my Polaris Ranger for ice fishing duty this season and beginning to plan things out. Typically it’s a full-time driveway plower after hunting season, so time to change that.

Anyone fab up or buy some kind of auger carrier for the K-Drill? I was looking at the Digger Auger Carrier, but not sure how well it would work with a K-Drill. I’m guessing it can’t be too good for either the shaft of the auger or my Milwaukee Fuel to be bouncing around unsupported. The drill was a significant investment, so I’d like to make sure I protect it short of un-chucking it and carrying it on my lap.

I know there’s some creative guys/gals on this site, so thought I’d reach out and see if anyone has a suggestion.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks, Merican. Are you speaking from experience using it with a k-drill? IF so, do you not worry about the drill bouncing around and exposed?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Well, the itch for ice season is starting early this year…maybe it’s the cool weather we’ve been having recently.

Looking to set up my Polaris Ranger for ice fishing duty this season and beginning to plan things out. Typically it’s a full-time driveway plower after hunting season, so time to change that.

Anyone fab up or buy some kind of auger carrier for the K-Drill? I was looking at the Digger Auger Carrier, but not sure how well it would work with a K-Drill. I’m guessing it can’t be too good for either the shaft of the auger or my Milwaukee Fuel to be bouncing around unsupported. The drill was a significant investment, so I’d like to make sure I protect it short of un-chucking it and carrying it on my lap.

I know there’s some creative guys/gals on this site, so thought I’d reach out and see if anyone has a suggestion.

I have the same situation and the same concerns. I do have a plan (in my head) that I think will work out. My plan is to support both the drill and the auger as assembled for augering.

(A) cradle for OD of auger flutes, full length, made from a piece of appropriately sized PVC pipe split lengthwise down the middle, fastened to some wood riser blocks.
    (B)Pocket for drill to sit upright same as it would if sitting on a workbench. Sides of pocket to be tall enough to prevent loss of drill and excess movement.

Height of riser blocks to be such that the centerline of the drill chuck and the centerline of the auger are inline.

Everything to be fastened to a base board which is secured to the ATV.

I don’t think a digger mount or one like it will work very well due to the fact that the K-drill auger has twin flutes. The twin flutes restrict the access to the shaft when trying to use the shaft as the support point.

Hope this all makes sense.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I picked up a Kolpin gun mount rack at FF last fall for my KDrill/Fuel 18
    Couldn’t be happier as it is a multi purpose mount and it was like $20

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

bull –
    that’s a great idea. I see they have a bunch of different models but this might work:

Did you use something similar? Would be great to see some photos.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

bull –
    that’s a great idea. I see they have a bunch of different models but this might work:

bull –

It’s the Kolpin Rhino grip single.

404 ERROR
    MN

Thanks, Merican. Are you speaking from experience using it with a k-drill? IF so, do you not worry about the drill bouncing around and exposed?

K-drill with Milwaukee and Nils with Dewalt have been in my auger mount a couple times across lakes with zero issues.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Appreciate the feedback. I decided to try copying what bullcans suggested and ordered a set of Kolpin Rhino Grips XL that have the Polaris “lock and ride” attachment system for installing.

For $30 figured I’d give it a shot and try and find a way to either support the Milwaukee on the edge of the Ranger box and maybe put some kind of quick drawstring bag over it to keep the snow and slush off it.

Side note — excited to see the ice gear is starting to arrive in the local FF and Cabela’s. Makes me feel like a bit less psycho thinking about ice fishing already.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

huntindave – sounds like you’ve thought up quite the solution. If you ever build it, I’d love to see some photos. Going to try the quick and easy method here first.

Polarisman2161

Just curious as to how well the ATV grips are working for mounting K-Drill? Has anyone run into any durability concerns? I am contemplating ordering the Kolpin Rhino Grip Pro’s, but would like to see some pictures if possible of how well the k-drill shaft fits within the grip.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Apologies for the garage clutter in the background, but didn’t feel like starting the Ranger and pulling it out just to snap a couple quick photos.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8205-small.jpg

2. IMG_8204-small.jpg

Polarisman2161

Jamin – thanks for the pics. Looks like the grips work well, so I went ahead and placed the order for mine. )

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

You’re welcome and you should be happy with them. I have been so far. Only niggle is that you need to take a moment and line the one grip up properly with the flights. Do it once or twice and it will be easy-peasy from there.

Next thing I wonder about is how well the cast bases will hold up to the elements. I now see there’s a little road salt on them from trailering to and from the lake. Time will tell I suppose.

When you get them and get them mounted, share some pics!

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I have a Digger mount on the front of my King Quad and it works awesome with my Honda 4 stroke but my K Drill and Milwaukee does not sit on there very well at all in my opinion. I wish Digger would come up with a different insert to go in the top of the square tubes to fit a K drill better. The plastic “U” shaped pieces come right out. I’ve just been strapping mine down on the front rack.

Polarisman2161

Like many others, I have been using the Digger Anchor auger carrier with satisfactory results for the last few years. I was not ready to give up on their mount just because my new K-drill didn’t fit. I removed the plastic inserts from the Digger mount and placed a board across the top to which I secured the Kolpin Rhino Pro grips. When I have more time I will possibly replace the wood with a piece of metal. I am happy with the results so far. If I decide to take gas/propane auger instead I can remove board, replace plastic inserts and go!

Attachments:
    1. 4A2DEA64-E763-4F68-A308-0535D5E1F294.jpg

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

How did you mount your board to the square tubes to secure it ?

Polarisman2161

glenn-d, I ripped a 2×4 in half to create 2 1.5 inch square pieces. I inserted these pieces in the digger tubing and cut them flush with the top. Since the interior diameter of the tubing is 1.75″ square there was a little extra room so I screwed through the digger mount into the wood. Then I screwed the 28″ 2×4 to these wood pieces. I had planned on using snug fitting wood uprights, but was in a hurry to get it done. I am happy with result, auger seems very stable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.