Just looking for an opinion

• Martin Bacher

I have a S&W 38-200 revolver dating back to 1941. As you can see from the pic, it needs some cosmetic work even though it shoots very well. The question is…would you get it re-blued and restored or leave it as is? Not sure what the value is, as is, but will re-blueing it increase or decrease the value. Opinions are appreciated.

Attachments:
    1. S-W-.38.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The question is…would you get it re-blued and restored or leave it as is? Not sure what the value is, as is, but will re-blueing it increase or decrease the value. Opinions are appreciated.

I’m not framilliar with that model of S&W and there are just so many variations of S&W revolvers from the turn of the century to the end of WW2, they are hard to keep track of.

In general, the question of value is really in the eyes of the beholder. Some collectors will not touch a restored gun, they want 100% original, others have no problem with a quality restoration job. There is really a split in the market.

IMO it makes very little sense to try to restore a gun in order to sell it. Unless you’ve really researched the market demand for restored vs original and know there is a strong demand for restored models, it’s difficult to “make money” on a restoration. Usually the restoration does not pay for itself in increased sale price. The exception, of course, is very rare or high demand models with high quality restorations.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If I had absolutely no intention of selling this gun, I’d have it re-blued. And I’d bet that a gunsmith could point you in the direction of a wood worker that could make some super walnut grips for it. If you’re keeping the gun there’s personal value in having it look beautiful. Like it as it is? Leave it as such. Personally I think a clean old service revolver such as this should shine.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I looked into this for a 30-30 lever action in similar condition. The company offers three grades of refinishing, all of witch involved filing the pitting out and then polishing to the the different grades of luster. Problem is by doing it you would most likely lose the markings on the gun as they look very lightly stamped in. Definitely something to check into anyway. Good luck

Timmy

If I had absolutely no intention of selling this gun, I’d have it re-blued. And I’d bet that a gunsmith could point you in the direction of a wood worker that could make some super walnut grips for it. If you’re keeping the gun there’s personal value in having it look beautiful. Like it as it is? Leave it as such. Personally I think a clean old service revolver such as this should shine.

I respect Toms view, even though mine is a polar opposite. Old used weapons exude a special charisma to me that a rebluing/refinishing simply wipes away. Nicks, pits, scars, scrapes, and worn spots all tell their tales as to what that piece has seen…. I enjoy looking at them with the wonder of “I wonder what happened to cause this….”. I think a clean old service revolver like this should be cleaned and oiled up and have its scars shine…. ????

Ryan Templeton

…In general, the question of value is really in the eyes of the beholder…

IMO it makes very little sense to try to restore a gun in order to sell it…

Agree with both of these. Pretty hard to draw definitive lines about what increases the “value” of such a rare thing like that.

Ergo, statement #2. If it’s hard to conclusively say what adds more value to a potential buyer, probably not worth restoring it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.