Just bought a RDX400 TenPoint crossbow and my 3rd bolt my string broke??

• Vermont walleye guy
    Vermont

So I just got my RDX 400 yesterday and today on my weekend I thought I’d put it together and shoot did everything right and I shot the first second and then the third the string broke NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Did I do something wrong or was it the string? I use rope sleds to draw the crossbow back did I caulk it wrong?!?

Attachments:
    1. AB9281BD-24F6-40AE-9A8E-7778910DFB1D.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It’s always important to expect a string to break, so always stay away from three limbs! Im glad your ok!!!!

Consult the manufacture for sure, they want to know.
    Go to crossbow nation to see if it is common.

Did you put strings on it or what do you mean you put it together?

Looks like a rail design (my ravin isn’t) so you would need to lube strings. Any burrs on rail? Did the string fray after shot 1 or 2?

jwellsy

Did you get it new or used?

Be sure and carefully inspect the pulleys and axle bearings/shims/sleeves. Dry fires are extremely hard on compounds.

Was there any serving on the string nock point?

Double check what kind of nock that bow is suppose to use (flat, moon or clip).

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Are the rope sleds made for that crossbow? You aren’t even supposed to try to cock that model by hand because of the acute angle of the string when it is cocked. The proper nock is the alpha nock

Vermont walleye guy
    Vermont

It’s a package deal it come with 3 bolts little bit of rail lube quiver and the caulking system and a scope! It has the new nock system that TenPoint has it’s a deep v style!

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Return it and buy a ravine you won’t be disappointed

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Needs to be sent back to manufacture or qualified service , may be other damage not easily seen.

Vermont walleye guy
    Vermont

Ol ya I called and there closed on the weekends I think it was a bad string

Attachments:
    1. 99129C00-143D-4667-8456-0F9E33DB7A5A.jpeg

jwellsy

That string looks cut, the ends of the strands are all even. Sometimes the trigger mechanism that holds the string or the safety catch need polished to remove burrs that can cut the string like that. Try to see where that cut part would contact the bow and look for burrs there.

Examine the bolt closely too, especially the nock.

It’s a reputable company and it’s still under warranty, they should take care of you. I would ask them to polish the trigger and safety.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Needs to be sent back to manufacture or qualified service , may be other damage not easily seen.

I think I would want the entire thing replaced or get a different model

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Return it and buy a ravine you won’t be disappointed

Yeah they’re great, but you don’t have to search long to find they had a tough learning curve and many of string and limb have broken.

I read everything on crossbow nation about Ravin going all the way back to introduction, some scary history worth reading if you own one.
    Ravin strings suck! But I just geared up to replace strings as often as necessary.

Broken string you need to treat like dry fire- back to the manufacturer it goes.

Vermont walleye guy
    Vermont

I called them today and they said the strings isn’t covered but just cause I just bought it there sending me a new string hopefully I don’t have anymore problems with it I’m going to bring it to a archery place and have him look at it before he puts the string on!

jwellsy

I don’t think you have to take it all apart. There’s a lot of different crossbow forum threads on polishing the string catch & anti-dryfire in place with a fine emery cloth. This guy gets to the meat-n-potatoes of the problem in parts 3 & 4.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BrokeWinger111/videos

Vermont walleye guy
    Vermont

All fixed and today’s the first day of Vermont bow season

Attachments:
    1. B976E0D2-6C13-416E-BC8A-A0448F3AC017.jpeg

jwellsy

What was the problem, how’d you fix it?

Vermont walleye guy
    Vermont

So I geuss I didn’t knock the bolt correctly and it when it shot the bolt it didn’t have full contact with the string he said so yes it was my fault but that’s ok first time ever using a crossbow to hunt first year in Vermont anyone can!!! O and I’m still waiting on TenPoint to send me a string I called the first week of September and still no string had to bring to It to a bow smith not happy about that!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.