Jumping into the Livescope world, recommendations on 2 screen setup?

• acarroline

I would like to jump into the Garmin Livescope world for use on the boat and ice fishing.

For the boat I plan to have a 12 inch Humminbird on the console for navigation, Side imaging, some down imaging. The Livescope would likely stay in the ice shuttle and have a screen by the console with me. I’d like to add a second screen, to display the same image, at the front of the boat for my son.

What units/components do I need to accomplish this?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You need a network box and cables to run the same images from the livescope to another Garmin unit. That would be pretty tough and a lot of extra wires laying around the boat.

I can envision what you are trying to do but I don’t think there is a simple way to do it. Ideally you could run a single cable and replicate the image but I don’t think that’s an option.

I’d call Garmin…their support is top notch.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I know a guy running an 8610? it has an HDMI out put to hook to anything with an HDMI so a guy could run that and hook it to a cheap monitor something you can replace WHEN it goes bad. The unit he bought was really expensive but I thought the cheapest at the time with that output.

He uses this for ice fishing in his wheelhouse, but the concept is the same to have the display on another screen.

acarroline

I talked to Garmin support today and there are ways to do this. I am still learning the lingo but there is a 6ft-20ft-40ft cord that connects the units that is under $75. Now it’s just figuring out the right two units. Support mentioned something about one version being phased out and not having parts available in two years, then you look at the new units and the second screen alone may run me $2000…just the screen. Finding out its a new world with FFS.

JoeMX1825
    MN

You can share screens as long as they are in the same family of head units with a simple network cord…

Example – Echomap 106sv hooked up to Livescope can share its screen with a Echomap 93UHD via a network cable…

acarroline

You can share screens as long as they are in the same family of head units with a simple network cord…

Example – Echomap 106sv hooked up to Livescope can share its screen with a Echomap 93UHD via a network cable…

That makes sense, kind of starting to understand that. Any particular recommendations on the “right” units from a cost effective yet not getting too old of units, and considering the plan for use?

Tlazer

I use my Echomap 93 with Livescope for both the boat and ice fishing. What’s nice with Garmin is the unit snaps into the base unit where the cables attach. So I have a base unit on te boat and on the ice shuttle so you can leave most of the cords on the base units when switching seasons. One thing to remember if using for ice fishing you may want to keep one of ye screens smaller so it’s more portable, but many fish with a 10” or larger screen for ice fishing.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

That makes sense, kind of starting to understand that. Any particular recommendations on the “right” units from a cost effective yet not getting too old of units, and considering the plan for use?

well, you absolutely can’t beat the sale priced Echomap 93 & 106 units, but they are older tech… The current Echomap version 2 units have slightly better screens and wireless networking, but use 3x the battery power and are much more expensive…

I would look at the used market or wait until Black Friday and get one of the bundle deals typically offered by Reeds, Scheels or Marine General…

acarroline

JoeMX…all good info, thanks. Not interested in used, but good idea, just never know. I was thinking about a couple of those 106 screens… or getting two of the newer 10 inch screens

acarroline

Is getting the LVS 34 really worth double the price?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Is getting the LVS 34 really worth double the price?

LVS34 is about 20-25% better at everything…its your call if that’s worth it to you…

at this point in the open water season, I would just wait for the Black Friday sales and get ready for ice season…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Whatever you buy, inevitably, there will be better, more expensive technology available in the near future. Won’t be long until whatever you have becomes the “old” stuff.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Whatever you buy, inevitably, there will be better, more expensive technology available in the near future. Won’t be long until whatever you have becomes the “old” stuff.

I know i’ve said this before, but you know Livescope 2.0 release is just around the corner…my guess is it will be alot more expensive and require the newer head units… When that day comes the new/used LVS32/34 market will crash…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yep. Its just an arms race to see who can outfit their boat with the latest and greatest right now for a lot of anglers.

Scope Wizards

acarroline

Yes, likely to wait for Black Friday or other sales at this point. Researching and getting feedback from others (thank you) has really educated me on what I may be looking for, although I still have a very basic understanding and will continue to try and learn more. Subject to change, but right now I’m leaning towards getting the LVS34IF (ducer and black box), a 10 inch 106SV for the main shuttle, 9 inch 93SV for the second display unit, 40 ft RJ45 cord to connect the units, then the accessories (shuttle/boat-ice ducer pole, battery). In today’s prices that would be about $1600 ducer/box + $1000 for 10 inch unit + $700 of 9 inch unit + $75 for cord + about $900 for accessories…$4300. Crazy when you put it that way )

JoeMX1825
    MN

just know the Livescope experience in a boat with a ducer pole isn’t fun, you’re constantly needing to adjust the pole direction to see your lure pretty much every cast…adding the ducer to the trolling motor head free’s up your hands, but then you’re installing/uninstalling it every season and it basically negates spotlock if you frequently use it (like I do)

Livescope is very cool, but just know it can be alot of extra work/hassle to use it properly in a boat imo…alot of times I leave it at home…My biggest open water use case is attaching the pole to my dock, there it can be very helpful/fun catching fish off the dock with Livescope, I scan 120′ out and look for the Crappie schools getting close enough to cast at…

Using it on the ice is a different story, its a gamechanger and I will never fish without it…

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I had the IT at work give me a 20′ ethernet cord to connect my 106sv units at my console in my tiller to my bow units and have never had a problem.
    Joe is right, I dabbled with the pole in the boat for 2 years and this winter I will be upgrading to an ultrex and mounting my livescope ducer on that. It got to be to much with the pole and going hands free will be great

acarroline

All good points. I’ve used my friends LVS32 on the ice and loved it, and fished in his boat with it (and the pole) and found it a benefit. I spot lock quite a lot so don’t see the trolling motor mount being useful. In the boat I would see it useful when locating fish, casting at them, and spot locked for jigging/slip bobber. Still have a 12 inch bird being installed on the boat for side imaging, mapping, contour line/path follow, etc. Don’t see a lot of benefit with the livescope trolling but may just not have experienced it yet. To spend that kind of money I need to justify open and hard water use…even if just to myself :). Seem, about right?

JoeMX1825
    MN

All good points. I’ve used my friends LVS32 on the ice and loved it, and fished in his boat with it (and the pole) and found it a benefit. I spot lock quite a lot so don’t see the trolling motor mount being useful. In the boat I would see it useful when locating fish, casting at them, and spot locked for jigging/slip bobber. Still have a 12 inch bird being installed on the boat for side imaging, mapping, contour line/path follow, etc. Don’t see a lot of benefit with the livescope trolling but may just not have experienced it yet. To spend that kind of money I need to justify open and hard water use…even if just to myself :). Seem, about right?

best bang for your buck is to use all Garmin units on your boat and then you just remove the ducer & black box and pop the head unit screen off the cradle and drop them in a winter shuttle for ice fishing, ultimate setup would be to have 2 black boxes that way you don’t need to rewire everything when you switch from open water to ice…I run a Humminbird Helix 10 on my boat console, but that’s only because I had it before Livescope and don’t want to drill new holes in my glass boat…

acarroline

best bang for your buck is to use all Garmin units on your boat and then you just remove the ducer & black box and pop the head unit screen off the cradle and drop them in a winter shuttle for ice fishing, ultimate setup would be to have 2 black boxes that way you don’t need to rewire everything when you switch from open water to ice…I run a Humminbird Helix 10 on my boat console, but that’s only because I had it before Livescope and don’t want to drill new holes in my glass boat…
    [/quote]

Challenge for me with that setup is wanting to have the bird and trolling motor I-linked for following contour lines and go to waypoint options…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Challenge for me with that setup is wanting to have the bird and trolling motor I-linked for following contour lines and go to waypoint options…
    [/quote]yep, I merely meant in an ideal world with no electronics purchased yet… use what ya got

I use a 106sv in my shuttles, its a great screen…

acarroline

[/quote]yep, I merely meant in an ideal world with no electronics purchased yet… use what ya got

I use a 106sv in my shuttles, its a great screen…
    [/quote]

Probably the right idea, but… the price we pay for “convenience” and “wants” )

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.