Jigging for Walleyes

• mikehunt

Do you have a video that shows how to jig for Walleyes. I’ve been fishing on the rock river jigging the prespawn walleyes. I’m watching people catching 15 to my 1 fish. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It looks like I’m using the right bait. I am vertically jigging, I just can’t figure it out.
    Please help.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

On a river, location can be everything. It’s just possible they found that one spot the fish relate to. A large boulder that creates an edy behind it can have a seemingly endless supply of fish. Catch one and another takes its place. Figure out what they are doing different. If they catch them out of the same stretch, cast to the same spot, jig aggressively, don’t jig at all, color of bait. All clues to what works.

Also, I’m not condoning spot stealing. Don’t cast to where they are fishing. Just meant to watch if they are casting to the same spot. I’ve been on the receiving end of spot steelers too many times to count, and would never want to be associated as such.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Are you contacting the bottom? If not, go with a heavier jig.

Are you hanging up all the time? If so, go with a lighter jig.

Are you hanging up occasionally and losing a few jigs? If so, you should be catching fish.

Try changing colors, slowing down your jigging cadence, shorten your jigging stroke, vary your jigging cadence, change your plastics to a different profile bait. It is all about the little details, keep changing till you find what works. But start with the proper weight jig as I first mentioned. First and foremost you have to have your bait in the right zone to be bit.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Start with the right rod/reel/line. Don’t try jigging with a rod similar to a telephone pole and using a reel spooled with last year’s 12 pound line. Use a system that is right for the application. What are other successful anglers using? Ask, then try to match up to what they are using.

The suggestions others here have offered are solid pieces of information. I’ll comment on lines. If you are using mono make sure its not too heavy in weight for the jigs you are using. 6 pound mono will handle jigs up to an ounce easily. When you feel a tap using mono set it. If you are using braid and feel the tap, wait a two count then set it. The braid sends signals to you instantly and if you set when you feel it you’ll be taking the hook from the fish before he can get it in his mouth far enough.

If you are using plastics, color then size come into play. Change colors often [paying attention to what color you see hanging out of mouths of fish in boat next to you will shorten this learning curve] and then either go smaller or larger in size, keeping in mind that you may need to increase or decrease jig size when going larger or smaller in plastic size..

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

FWIW, we’ve all witnessed people put on fishing clinics.

I’ve even had it happen in my own boat. It’s come to the point before where I had my buddy pick out the minnow for me! Not proud of it, but some subtleties can make a world of difference.

mikehunt

I’m not to worried about the gear and lures that I’m using. It’s the tequnique that I’m having trouble with. I know that I’m supposed to be “vertical jigging”, any tips on the boat control and jigging technique?

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

A lot of times just checking for bottom contact is enough. On a tight line check to see that you’re within a foot of bottom, raise back up a foot.

Othertimes, a short..short..long cadence works well. Not exceeding 2-3′ off bottom. (Like trying to diagnose engine noises over the phone)

Vertical isn’t always best. I find a lot of times in cold water, keeping the bait slower than current speed gets me bit more often. Helps to keep the bait pointing upstream (natural looking) and will even side step the river looking for active fish.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

On river situations keeping absolutely vertical is the key. working the trolling motor to keep the jig near bottom all the time but not pulling the bait. think of it as floating the jig down.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Don’t be afraid to get a local guide or someone who knows the system well to take you. After fishing the Mississippi for a couple years I went out with a guide just to fine tune jigging techniques and get insight into finding spots. Spending that day talking and learning was great.

The other thing is to get a trolling motor with spot lock. That was a game changer for me on rivers.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Larry Smith Outdoors just posted a Rock River jigging episode on YouTube.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

biggest thing in “vertical” jigging is to match the current speed. If it’s calm, shut all motors off and just let the boat drift and watch the speed on your gps, then keep that going when the wind picks up. If you’re fishing too heavy a jig you can stay vertical even going faster or slower. You’re trying to find that natural presentation of a dying baitfish just drifting down river. In rivers, my cadence methodology is this, less is more. Find bottom lift 6″ to a foot and hold as long as you can stand it, slowly drop rod tip, find bottom and repeat. I also like a stand up jig in cold water because fish will crush it when you put the jig on the bottom and the stand up will keep the hook point up in the right direction. Also, if I’m trying to dial in a vertical jigging presentation I will typically start with minnows and once I find the fish and how fast they want it then I’ll switch to plastics. A shorter rod 6′ will also help in keeping the bait moving with the boat and you’ll feel the strike sooner because the vibration has less distance to travel to your hand. Sounds like your frustrated, and I’ve been there and understand, but remember the worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Todays Larry Smith show might have a few pointers.

-J.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

If you are running braid try adding a fluoro or mono leader. Have seen a significant difference in clear to slightly stained water.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.