Jacking a boat trailer

• walleyevision

So this may be a really stupid question, but are there any extra precautions one must take when jacking up a boat trailer when the boat is one the trailer? I plan on changing out my bearings and realized I’ve never jacked up a loaded trailer before. Do I need to put the trailer on my boat’s hitch for better stability versus leaving it on the flip down wheel at the front of the trailer?

Lastly where should I position my jack/Jack stand?

Thanks!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do I need to put the trailer on my boat’s hitch for better stability versus leaving it on the flip down wheel at the front of the trailer?

Lastly where should I position my jack/Jack stand?

Don’t hook it up to the truck hitch.

I put new tires on my boat trailer in June. Just use the car jack. I put the jack right under the lowest point of the trailer nearest the axle (single). I can’t help you if you have a tandem axle. Maybe someone else can chime in and offer their advice if that’s the case.

404 ERROR
    MN

Don’t jack from the axle itself, jack from the frame rail as close to the axle as you can. Never lift it further than you need to get the tire off.

There’s no need to hook it up, but if that makes you feel better about being under it, I see no downside. Make sure you wheel chock the other side while working.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Just replaced my wheel bearings this past spring. Single axle trailer. Did it all in the garage with the trailer loaded and not hooked to anything. You could chock the tongue jack wheel, but I did not. Like gimruis said, jack one side at a time. Place a jackstand under the axle each side as close to the wheels as you can. Mine sat like that for a week since the first bearing set I ordered were wrong.

walleyevision

Thanks guys. Looking for a little clarity as some say don’t place the jack under the axel and some say it’s ok to do so.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks guys. Looking for a little clarity as some say don’t place the jack under the axel and some say it’s ok to do so.

I was told never to put the Jack under the Axel. Not sure if that is right or not but this info. came from a Gear head so I listened to him. I just jack from the frame the fender bolts to. To be safe I add a jack stand.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I would jack on the frame. Put jack stand under axle – with a little weight on it – as backup. Don’t forget to break the nuts loose first.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t forget to break the nuts loose first.

Good reminder. I failed to do that when replacing tires in June and couldn’t get the lug nuts loose while the tire was already jacked up lol

stevenoak

I usually jack from the u- bolt plate at the leaf spring. Then put the jack stand on the axel next to it. Jacking from the frame, you can run out of jack travel. Also, can chip the paint and give rust a chance to start. When you are done, be sure to check the torque on the lug nuts after you pull it a ways.

robby
    Quad Cities

Use a jack stand for safety sake.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I assume (dumb me) you are using a bottle jack. If so use a 2×6 block under the jack so you don’t run out of jack as mentioned. Once you have figured out how to do this make sure everything especially the wood blocks get into your truck so you have everything you need to change a flat on the road.

walleyevision

I assume (dumb me) you are using a bottle jack. If so use a 2×6 block under the jack so you don’t run out of jack as mentioned. Once you have figured out how to do this make sure everything especially the wood blocks get into your truck so you have everything you need to change a flat on the road.

I’ve got a floor jack I intend to use.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve always used a floor jack on the axle inside of each wheel when I jack up my boat to check or remove my wheels for any reason. I’ve been doing it that way for over 40 years without any problems.
    I have no idea why jacking a boat up on the axle would be an issue.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.