Is this a green sunfish?

• munchy
    NULL

Fishing for bass on a small lake near Sauk Center yesterday morning and this thing annihilated my Buzzfrog. Had the entire thing and the 5/0 worm hook in its mouth. I couldn’t believe a sunfish would have a mouth that big, it was nearly a 1.5″ in diameter when fully open. It looked like a crappie’s. I’ve caught big 10″ bluegill in the past, but they all had mouths you could barely get your index finger into and were much taller than this.

Final measurement was 10.5″ and she is still swimming.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3020.jpg

2. IMG_3018.jpg

3. IMG_3017.jpg

hnd

it looks to me to be not a true green sunfish but a hybrid gill/green sunfish. they frequently stock ponds with these as i believe they are for the most part sterile. They get enormous. i’ve seen 12″ before and they are usually super thick compared to regular gills.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Looks like a green sunfish to me. Though it is a bit lighter in color than the ones I’ve seen.
    They are notorious for being aggressive for their size.

Ron S

I think it is but I thought they were much smaller than that. Probably some sort of hybrid.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Looks like a green sunfish to me. I got into a mess of those last spring in a local pond and they can get super aggressive. Those were about that size, but not as fat but lots of fun.

munchy
    NULL

it looks to me to be not a true green sunfish but a hybrid gill/green sunfish. they frequently stock ponds with these as i believe they are for the most part sterile. They get enormous. i’ve seen 12″ before and they are usually super thick compared to regular gills.

That’s interesting you say that, this lake had apparently been stocked by the property owners at one time. This fish wasn’t super thick but did have some meat on him.

But yes, he was very aggressive, acted almost piranha-like.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3019.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lol I started laughing before even opening the topic (Old Topic). Its a green sunfish.

Getting some popcorn ready.

munchy
    NULL

Lol I started laughing before even opening the topic (Old Topic). Its a green sunfish.

Getting some popcorn ready.

Link please! I need a good laugh today! wave

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It started before IDO and before me being here when it was fishtheriver.com. I find it funny because every time someone asks for an ID the joke is Green Sunfish. Or anytime someone doesn’t know what kind of sunfish they caught they call it a hybrid or a green sunfish. And then there is a great a long debate of people going back and forth arguing the ID.

Hopefully someone will come along and give us a backstory, but I think the post is long gone.

big_g
    Isle, MN

it was lost with the transition… yep definitely green sunfish cool rotflol

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Can you tell us about the original Green Sunfish post G? I searched and all I could gather was that it was heated and many pages.

One of the funnier things I’ve seen on another salt site was when people would ask for IDs, people would draw a line on the fish and call it a snook. Even pictures of jellyfish, crabs and birds weren’t safe to ask.

BTW, is a snook

Attachments:
    1. 20170731_185354.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

I can’t fill much more than what you said… I know Blue Fleck could fill more in…. but don’t know that he hits IDO much anymore.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

It’s a largemouth bluegill. I can tell by looking at the anal rays.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I remember it and searched for it, but can’t find it. It was a long time ago. Slop Bass (Jeremiah) was in it, if I recall. Basically a bunch of people arguing about who was right, but it was in the earlier days of discussion boards before that was standard form. Funny stuff for sure but hard to say if it would still be funny reading it today. The other old thread that got everyone laughing was the classified ad for a breast pump, back when the classifieds were discussion threads just like these.

big_g
    Isle, MN

ah yes, the medelia crazy doah

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s not a walleye so who cares?

Signed,

90% of IDO

munchy
    NULL

Can you tell us about the original Green Sunfish post G? I searched and all I could gather was that it was heated and many pages.

One of the funnier things I’ve seen on another salt site was when people would ask for IDs, people would draw a line on the fish and call it a snook. Even pictures of jellyfish, crabs and birds weren’t safe to ask.

BTW, is a snook

Them damn snook are everywhere!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3024.jpg

deertracker

Don’t forget about the hose cats….
    DT

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I remember it and searched for it, but can’t find it. It was a long time ago.

Shoot, I was hoping you were one of them because in my search I saw you alluding to it a few times.

Them damn snook are everywhere!

Well played sir, well played.

munchy
    NULL

And of course I log into Facebook tonight and what is one of the first things I see? Some of the comments are hilarious.

These must be one of the most controversial fish ever! smash

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3025.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Green Sunfish.

Know how I can tell? No black line. toast

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2195.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

How dare you BK…snook season is closed…

Attachments:
    1. FL-DNR-HERE-I-COME.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve never been good at IDing fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

eh eh ehhhh…thanks John!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s a warmouth.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ok, now go find the breast pump ad !! doah jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.