Is finishing the basement a good idea?

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rkd-jim wrote:</div>
    Don’t forget the cost of an egress window if there isn’t one already. That adds another $3-$4k

Your way over paying for egress

What is the going rate for an egress window in a poured wall?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Don’t forget the cost of an egress window if there isn’t one already. That adds another $3-$4k

Around $2200

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Only finish it if you know you can keep it dry. Otherwise you’re creating a problem instead of solving one.

If your basement is dry and stays dry and you invest in the dehumidification to keep it that way, then it’s great. If it’s damp and you get water in occasionally, then you’re creating a cluster XXXX by finishing it.

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Around $2200

Poured wall 2200 is pretty spot on and block and masonry will be a few hundred less.
    I do them on the side every couple weekends or work it out to cut and remove the concrete and have a carpenter buddy frame them for 1500 to 2000

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sorry for the off topic

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Didn’t need another bedroom in the house we just sold this spring so I made a movie/family room. Took these the day before we sold it so the TV, AV equipment and furniture was already gone away. My wood shop, a storage area and furnace room made up the rest of the unfinished area after. I don’t recall what I spent in total but only thing I paid someone else to do was out the carpet on the stairs so my Costa would be skewwed anyway. Had some warranty claim LP trim at the shop that I was able to salvage to make the ’tile’ ceiling (used mdf for the sheeting, if I did it again I would use BCX), nexstone ‘fake’ stone for the fireplace, vinyl plank flooring.

House before that one we did put in an egress window in to make an official 4th bedroom. Was a block wall and in sand country so it wasn’t that bad to do.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190413_180727.jpg

2. IMG_20190413_180736.jpg

Lynn Seiler

Unless you have a separate location for a shop, consider reserving some space for tools and equipment. Nothing worse then working in a finished family room or in the garage in January. Doesn’t have to be big. That way the projects can be contained and away from kids.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

So with three boys, think down the road. It’s not about the bedroom or the value of the house. It’s really about creating the environment that you want your boys to grow up in. When they get older and want to spend more time with their friends than with their family, where do you want them to do it? Our kids would go to the football or basketball game and then call us and say, do mind if we bring a few friends over to hang out for a few hours? The answer was, “bring ’em on over”. Have a fridge full of pop and water and snacks on hand. Where do you want your teenagers hanging out between 9pm and midnight?

It doesn’t have to be off the charts expensive. We put in a nice screen with surround sound, pool table and table and chairs for games or snacks to sit on. I was blessed to be able to DIY the whole thing. Take your time, finance it through your wallet instead of a bank. Have it done by the time they are in middle school. Even if you hire it out, what price would you put on knowing where you teenager is hanging out? Or, where do you want them hanging out with their girlfriend? YOUR HOUSE! It should be the safest place in the world! ;-)

I had two daughters and finished off the basement for them. The boys came to our house. (where I could keep an eye on them) wave wave

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I live in a split forer. only 3 ft of the basement is in the ground. wood walls and only cement is the floor. only rooms finished when I moved in were the 2 bedrooms. lived here since 1979. except for a bit of plumbing and electrical I finished it myself. I had plumbing put in when the house was built for a bathroom.

I have a couple carpenter friends that gave me a tad of help and advice. I sheetrocked the walls and then put paneling on for the rest. there is a hole for a pump but never needed it. carpet on the floor, no issues. one room is a utility room the main room is complete with a bar. we use mainly for entertaining. I do not regret finishing it as I have no plans on moving. I’ve seen the stuff I have. UGH!!!!! tongue doah

Ryan

Interesting topic…just moved in with my fiancé and downed $2700 on brand new carpet in the basement about 2 months ago. Little did we know the egress window leaked. We were up north over the 4th and came home to the extra bedroom completely soaked. Ripped up all the carpet and have had multiple industrial blowers and fans going since we got back from the 4th of July.

Make damn sure there’s no water leaks…we learned the hard way.

Good luck.
    R

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Maybe I missed it, but I see no mention of sewer. If on a septic you will need to find out if it’s sized properly for more beds/baths.

zooks

Only finish it if you know you can keep it dry. Otherwise you’re creating a problem instead of solving one.

If your basement is dry and stays dry and you invest in the dehumidification to keep it that way, then it’s great. If it’s damp and you get water in occasionally, then you’re creating a cluster XXXX by finishing it.

Grouse

Agree with this but the radon mitigation typically helps a lot with general dehumidification. Good replies and advice otherwise, good luck with what you decide.

Charles

If you want to do carpet I suggest doing a Foundation Wrap that is dimpled. So you dimples go down and then you lay 7/16″ osb then your carpet goes ontop. This allows the concrete to breath.

iowa_josh

Maybe I missed it, but I see no mention of sewer. If on a septic you will need to find out if it’s sized properly for more beds/baths.

And an anti backflow on your sewer would be a good idea.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gix- septics are calculated off of bedrooms not bathrooms, and a garbage disposal is equal to one bedroom

Iowajosh- very good point. And some municipalities require it

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Crappie what direction are you leaning? Didn’t you have water in a basement before or was that a different house?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Crappie what direction are you leaning? Didn’t you have water in a basement before or was that a different house?

Yeah that was our old house. We sold that nightmare and purchased a new house last year. I think we are leaning towards finishing the basement but I would be looking to pay with cash which will take me a couple of years to save up. Some really awesome feedback provided on here that will come in handy when we are ready. Thank you all!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Crappie, Do it in steps. First get your layout drawn out where bath, bed and family room will lay out. Then frame it, then HAVC, electrical, plumbing, sheet rock and tape, trim and flooring. Finishing work.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    How many beds and baths are there currently?
    Ballpark is $50 per sq ft for finishing.

With the average listing price in Minnesota of $188 per sqft (per zillow so not sure how accurate) that is still a great return. Even at $60 per ft you would end up netting $128. Even though these are super rough numbers. Not factoring in what you have into that unfinish sqft currently. Again not an expert shock

Per sqft costs…. rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Funniest numbers ever used. Anyone that relies upon per square foot costs as a working budget needs to go to multiple car dealers and ask how much a truck costs per pound. Big difference per pound in a stripped down Dodge 1500 to a F-450 Super Duty topping out at $94,695 fully loaded. Cost is directly related to what your putting into it

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Randy,
    As a GC if a potential Client contacts me and are looking for a price to finish a basement I ask them 1 question.
    Do you have a plan with a written scope of work?
    If they say yes I set a time to meet with them and then I bid out their project.
    If they say no, I tell them a square foot price and ask them if that is within their budget. 99% of the time I get crickets.
    Same with Decks, additions, kitchens.

I have found that if they are not willing to spend money on plans, they typically won’t move forward with the project. So square footing is best for me. It frees up my time for people that are serious about their projects.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I called it “Qualifying a prospective client”.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m a GC that self performs a lot of work in my projects. Just priced out two homes in the 3480ish sqft. One is $787,000, the other is 1.3. Amazing what a few details can do to change a budget. Over the last 30 years, sqft numbers haven’t worked well for any of.my projects. Most of the garages, lower levels, and homes I do never come close to the numbers I see kicked around. Not to say I don’t do any average or typical projects. I just get the work that most other builders can’t do

big_g
    Isle, MN

Obviously, rolled vinyl is cheaper than hand cut Italian Marble flooring…. coffee

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.