Is anyone else a "turn and burn" outdoorsman?

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

My buddy and I have started doing “turn and burn trips”. Jump in the truck (sometimes fly), drive for 24 hours, fish/hunt/play for a few days, drive home. We pier, bridge and shore fish mostly. I book a charter on my longer trips. We are very excited to be going to FL in August during scalloping season to go snorkeling for scallops. We also do duck hunting on these trips. We hit the Texas Gulf last December for some fishing/duck hunting (Pintails and Redheads). We are planning on Lake St. Claire diver hunting next December and Southern California Cinnamon Teal next January. Starting the planning for a gator hunt and Blue Wing Teal hunt in Fl for 2020. We’ve developed an awesome workflow and are able to squeeze in 3-4 turn and burns a year plus our families 2 or 3 normal vacations. It really helps break up these winters here.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I do a couple a year, Lake Michigan salmon, White/Red river trout, Tobin lake walleye.
    Drive all night after work, fish for a few days, drive home in the dark.

brushhog80

We used to go to Bozeman for the weekend. Leave Friday after work, get there and fish all day Saturday and Sunday. Then hit the road to be back to work Monday morning.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wade, it’s awesome you have worked your way into doing this. I’ve been doing this for MANY years. Not much for exotic type trips. We have developed an ART to finding ways to do our pdog hunts, mountain atv trips, and so on as cheap as we can. If you can fly with minimum stuff or just carry on, you can find one way flights for $30. Crazy how much fun we have for dirt cheap

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

We always defined turn and burn trips as 4 hours of driving, 4 hours of fishing and 4 hours of driving home in the same day.

Now that I’m retired, trips tend to be more planned and last longer.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

8 hours of driving for 4 hours of fishing is math that doesn’t work for me.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

8 hours of driving for 4 hours of fishing is math that doesn’t work for me.

Holy smokes- me either. I don’t even like going ML with the wheel shack for the weekend without taking a fri or monday off.

huskerdu

I drive to Devils Lake ND from the cabin few times a summer for day trips, worth 6-7 hr drive ( round trip) for 20-30 fish in 6hrs of fishing

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Not many, but starting to do/look into a few more of them. With a few young children it is tough to be gone for too long. Now just starting to do about 3-5 hunting or fishing trips a year that are leave on a Thursday or Friday night after kids go to bed, drive over night, outdoor activity on Saturday and Sunday morning, back home by Sunday evening to help with bath/bed time routines.

Usually pheasant hunting in the fall, fishing in Northern MN in the summer, somewhere in MN for Ice fishing. Looking to go somewhere south this spring for crappie fishing or turkey hunting, Missouri or Nebraska maybe.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Our show is pretty much based on the turn and burn methodology lol. I don’t really know any other way…

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Absolutely, before I moved back to MN and I was in Cincinnati OH I used to drive up after work for the weekend to chase musky.

Few memorable ones, in 2017 drove 900 miles Cincinnati to The Landing on Vermilion. Left at 4:30 am EST arrived around 6pm CST. Jumped in the boat after a quick meal and stuck a nice 40 at 11:30 pm. Slept 2-6am put a nice 44.5 in the boat at about 10:30 am and had some more shots. Napped from noon-2:30 and fished until midnight, had a bunch more follows that evening. Up at 5:30 next morning back home Sunday night and in work on time.

Last year had a musky weekend planned in August. Things kept going wrong at work, and then we had a huge blow and a massive limb fell on my vehicle. Was supposed to leave at 4:30 pm Friday, it’s 7:30 and im cleaning tree off of my car. Call my buddy and tell him I likely wont make it, he’s bummed but gets it. 10:00 pm rolls around my buddy calls me again, he was out on the boat and they had put 3 in the bag that night!

I scramble to get my gear loaded, hit the road at 10:45 pm, sleep at a rest area in the middle of Illinios from 2-4:30 am. Hit the road make it to South Suburbs of twin cities at 11:45. I load my gear in buddies truck, take a nap on the way to the ramp. We fish 12:30-1:00am. He puts two nice musky in the bag and I nailed a nice big pike boatside. Up the next morning at 6:00am home at 7:00pm that night and back at work Monday!

Aaron Kalberer

Drizzy, now that is dedication!

LOW, Red, Leech and Mille lacs are all turn and burn. Up early drive 4+ hrs to destination fish all day and back before midnight. Wife still gets help around the house on Sunday and I got to go fishing all day Saturday. If its within 4 hrs I have no problem making a day trip out of it, but prefer drive times under 3 hrs.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Drizzy, now that is dedication!

LOW, Red, Leech and Mille lacs are all turn and burn. Up early drive 4+ hrs to destination fish all day and back before midnight. Wife still gets help around the house on Sunday and I got to go fishing all day Saturday. If its within 4 hrs I have no problem making a day trip out of it, but prefer drive times under 3 hrs.

LOL, or insanity.

That’s why I moved so a turn and burn could be 3-4 hours. One can Imagine how stiff you get after 12+ hours of casting then 10-12 hours on your butt driving.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’ve done two trips this winter to Red for a day. Leave at 3am and get home by 10pm.
    Long day but with a baby at home a guy only gets so much free time, gotta make the most of it. Doing a long day trip leaves Sunday open for family time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I used to do that when I was younger. No interest anymore. If I cant take my time and enjoy traveling then it isn’t worth it. I don’t sacrifice a good nights sleep for anything but emergencies.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t sacrifice a good nights sleep for anything but emergencies

sleep is over rated. Hard to make memories while your out of it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.