Ion R1?

• Eric Roz

I am looking at getting a new electric ice auger. Finally got tired of messing with my old one. Am looking at getting either the Ion R1 or Strikemaster 40V both would be in the 10″ bit. Does anyone own/have any experience with the new R1? No reviews online or Youtube. I can get a deal on either auger, just depends in the availability. I feel like either one would be a vast improvement over my last auger. What would everyone recommend I get?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If you search the site this topic has been covered 1000 times, cliff notes: Strikemaster gets the vote most of the time, lots of talk about the new 24v also.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Buddy of mine was just up on lotw with his 24v strikemaster and said it was a huge regret to buy. Under powered and bad battery life over 16 inches of ice.
    I assume that’s where the 40v comes in. Personally I’d go ion, thats only because my dad has one thats 7 years old and been through hell and back, still runs original batteries. Never a issue. Even after falling off the snow machine at a pretty good rate of speed and doing cart wheels

JoeMX1825
    MN

I can’t speak to the R1 (it supposedly has a faster & more powerful motor) I can speak to the G2 and it’s an absolute beast of an auger and only weighs 17 lbs (8″)

Alex Fox

I’ve used both, I own the SM 40 v in the 10 inch bit. I can drill holes faster with a 10 inch then an Ion gen 2 in an 8 inch bit. Both are going to treat you well and once you’ve used a battery you’ll never want a gas one again. It could be just me, but every time I drill with an Ion my back kills after about 4 holes. Something with the ergonomics of the handles on that just doesn’t agree with me. But I’m getting old so there’s that too.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

ION customer service has been top of the line for me on 2 occassions. I will happily pay a bit more for another ION if I ever need another in the future.
    I do not reccomend their cast aluminum blade holder on the X however, it freezes up becoming a huge PITA.

Eric Roz

Bit the bullet and got the Ion R1 10″. Could not be happier with how it performed! It seemed about equally as fast as my previous Strikemaster Solo Lazer 10″. The only real noticeable difference in how the two cut is that the Ion did not catch at the bottom of the hole. The R1 was nice and smooth!. It did not bog or slow down while drilling through 15″ of ice where I was fishing. Hope this helps!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.