Ion centering ring problem

• Lincoln Schultz

After less than 40 holes the centering ring on the ion 8 is bent from normal use. It has never been dropped. Im waiting to hear from ion if theyll cover it. Has anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it. the more i look at it its a pretty poor design they braced one side of the ring but not the other. I noticed they went to a stronger or at least stronger looking replaceable ring on newer models. For the money these cost im a little disappointed that a part thats not meant to be replaced was built as weak as it was.

drhamm

I am now finishing 3 years of using my Ion (100 + holes), and under normal usage, I have not experienced the issue you have. I put a ruler to it and it appears very round yet. I am going to grab a larger caliper at work this week and check it more precisely, but I’ll bet it’s going to confirm everything is good. You may have gotten one with a defect, but I think it is an isolated one. I know multiple owners and none have had this issue.

Lincoln Schultz

The ring itself still looks round. The side without the brace is bent up. The ring itself appears to be made of material thats 5/8 x 3/16 but when it gets to the blade area theres a section thats only 3/16 x 3/16 and thats counting the paint. Thats where it bent on both sides.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Do you have a photo?

Lincoln Schultz

Tried to use line in tile as a reference/straight edge

Attachments:
    1. 15189716228242112324765.jpg

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

Your sure that’s a 8″ looks like a 6″ to Me I have both augers for the Ion X bought in Dec 2017 drill on average 30 to 40 hole one small issue and Ion took care of problem its was getting stuck at the last inch or so at the bottom of the ice hole.
    Peace

Lincoln Schultz

Its an 8. Tile is 12 if you want a reference point. Still waiting to hear from ion. I only posted because i was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Im thinking someone has since the new series has a different design.

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

Mine is good but the same thing happened to my uncle’s we never got a chance to send it in because he backed over it a week after it happened but they ben good to deal with with other thing with my Eskimo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.