Interesting times we are in.

• JEREMY
    BP

Last September at yearly Dr. appt was told I needed to get a colonoscopy. First appt was in March. 2 weeks before appt Dr. office rescheduled cause Dr. gonna be out of town. August 3rd had it done. Almost a year later. Lucky it wasnt important.

Stanley

In my opinion, things in the Auto repair business were headed for shortages long before Covid was a thing. Covid just helped it along faster, as those near retirement said… “I’m done” with all the protocols that were put in place as an essential worker. For decades, the youth were told you need a 4 year degree to make any money in this world.. the media touted it, of course the Universities touted it.. and the trades dwindled. I was on a steering committee for the St Cloud school district back in the day and we watched the Auto repair classes at SCTC, go from 3 a year, to 2 and then they could barely field one. Bodyshop class was even worse, went from 4 down to none ! We are booking out a couple weeks, but if someone needs to get in now, we accommodate as best we can. And now with the strike going on, parts are a real issue. doah

As a body tech for 20yrs I agree 100% but some of the decline in the trades was brought on by the trades themselves. When I started body techs were a dime a dozen and shops could get by with lower pay because they could easily fill openings. Also with body work insurance companies limit the labor rates so we can’t compete wage wise with other trades. I have also heard stories from other trades where they would lay off guys that were apprentices right before they became journeymen so they didn’t have to pay them the increased wage. I am looking into getting out of body work also just don’t know what I really want to do and with 3 boys and their activities the hours are nice so I can make it to their activities.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    David, WTF is that dude doing that he is having that much trouble with the wiring plug? SOunds like a real rumhead to me. To hell if I would let him borrow a dang hammer at this point.

I agree. That dude can buy his own trailer or rent from Uhaul. Some people just don’t give a rats behind. Sounds like he could destroy an anvil with a rubber hammer.

Well just trying to be a good neighbor and help. I even explained that the single most destructive issue is the plug being pulled out because one doesn’t leave enough slack for movement, doesn’t plug it in all the way. Oh well, lesson’s learned.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Anyway they are 3 weeks out in their service department.

Same at Crystal Welding. I tried to have them sneak mine in for a small brake leak last week before I put the boat in storage, and they couldn’t get it in (and I was willing to throw some cash their way).

Gitchi Gummi

For decades, the youth were told you need a 4 year degree to make any money in this world.. the media touted it, of course the Universities touted it.. and the trades dwindled.

this right here! I’m 36 and when I was finishing up high school, trades weren’t even on my radar. You were almost looked down upon if you bypassed college and went into the trades. Our guidance councilors made it seem like college was the only option. Don’t get me wrong, I love my career I am in now and my college years were some of the best years of my life, but there’s always part of me that wonders “what if” I went into the trades.

Tony Nigon

My new side gig Sweetwater Marine Rigging specializes in electronics, including trailer wiring, if anyone needs anything done!

Swmarinerigging.com

Mobile service out of Zumbro Falls.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.