Interesting times we are in.

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Dropped my utility trailer off at M&G Trailer Sales in Ramsey this morning. No appointment just rolled in there. Have a small wiring issue that I didn’t want to deal with. Anyway they are 3 weeks out in their service department. Kind of surprising although I don’t know how many techs they have but that seems like a lot of trailers in front of me. It’s ok, I’m not complaining as I don’t use the trailer much anyway. I have heard of similar wait times at auto and small engine repair places also. I find it so hard to believe how things have changed since Covid.

Oh well, life in 2023 I guess.

Stanley

I do body work and we are 4 months out currently. That’s down from 6-8 months last summer and fall. We had hail then which caused the longer wait times.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a 2 stage Carrier furnace through Aquarius and they do a complimentary tune up every fall. The first open date they had when I spoke with them last week was Dec 21.

This is for about a 30 minute preventative maintenance service visit.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A retired friend of mine in Arizona says he waits up to 4 months for doctors appointments. Thats nuts.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I made my next Dentist appointment for March 8th 2024, back on June 2nd.

Curious Dutchy, what is the wiring issue? I have a 2.5 year old aluminum trailer from M&G and the small led lights on top the fenders just quit on me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Curious Dutchy, what is the wiring issue? I have a 2.5 year old aluminum trailer from M&G and the small led lights on top the fenders just quit on me.

Nothing major. I let a guy borrow it and the plug got ripped off. He replaced it but wired something wrong. The right tail light flashes all the time. I’m sure there is a wire in the wrong place or maybe arcing out. It’s a older alum Bear Cat trailer. I’ve probably had it for 12 years.

mnmarlin

Wife hit a deer with the Blazer first week of September, body shop got it in 5 weeks later (only needed to replace the grill) – they do great work and we, unfortunately, are good customers otherwise it would have been into mid/late November (her second deer hit in a year and she got backed int – by the son of the guy that backed into our Equinox 5 years ago, hows that for shitty luck?). I was suprised they could get the parts that fast. Son hit a deer Thursday morning on his way to work, air bags went off, insurance agent said most likely totalled because of that and hope it is because air bags can take 6 months or longer to get. Times definetly are interesting.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Couple weeks ago I wasn’t feeling well. Called my doctor and they said his first available was 2 months out.

Everything is so screwed up.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

A 20oz bottle of dCoke was $2.19 at Speedway yesterday. Wow

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ll be happy to fix your trailer lights for what ever a new Terrova costs jester

SR

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ll be happy to fix your trailer lights for what ever a new Terrova costs jester

SR

I figured you for a Ulterra guy. grin

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve always been a cheap date.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

every project we do they say “can you do it yesterday”?

Im so sick of the deadlines that are imposed. at this point I just look at schedules and try to make sure I am not holding up other trades. what used to be a couple days out, now I just say next week for breathing room. I can play the game no problem…….this ain’t Amazon prime!

MX1825

I made an appointment with a Dermatologist in my clinic 4 weeks ago. Earliest 12/01. At least it is still this year!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dutch bring it to north branch and I’ll get it fixed for you bud.

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pailofperch wrote:</div>

Nothing major. I let a guy borrow it and the plug got ripped off. He replaced it but wired something wrong. The right tail light flashes all the time. I’m sure there is a wire in the wrong place or maybe arcing out. It’s a older alum Bear Cat trailer. I’ve probably had it for 12 years.

Clean your ground up where it connects to the frame , I usually have to do that once a year .

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Dutch bring it to north branch and I’ll get it fixed for you bud.

Thanks but like I said I don’t need it right away. I left it there and they will get to it when they get to it.

My post was more about how far out getting things done has become.

For a change I wasn’t complaining, just making an observation. jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A 20oz bottle of dCoke was $2.19 at Speedway yesterday. Wow

Lol how dare they!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If Diet Coke was Beer that would be $25.87 a 12 pack.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just can’t believe how poor quality of work is in just about any profession these days. We renovated our lower level and had all kinds of issues with our contractor and his subs, same thing with my parents new deck, and other friends that have had work done. You literally don’t hear of people having work done without having some sort of issue. Same in the service industry. Eating out it seems like at least 50% of my meals get messed up in some way or another. So many people have no pride in their work anymore. It’s sad.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I just can’t believe how poor quality of work is in just about any profession these days. We renovated our lower level and had all kinds of issues with our contractor and his subs, same thing with my parents new deck, and other friends that have had work done. You literally don’t hear of people having work done without having some sort of issue. Same in the service industry. Eating out it seems like at least 50% of my meals get messed up in some way or another. So many people have no pride in their work anymore. It’s sad.

I agree although once you find the guy who does take pride in a good job he’s almost impossible to hire they are so busy. I wonder what things will be like in 30 years when the hands on skilled workers have retired and nobody has taken their places?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have a 2 stage Carrier furnace through Aquarius and they do a complimentary tune up every fall. The first open date they had when I spoke with them last week was Dec 21.

Just after the last heat wave my AC started acting up a little. I have Home Service Plus and on a Thursday I made the service appointment for the next Monday. I looked at their schedule for furnace tune-ups and it was into December. shock
    I told that to the guy when he was done with the AC and he said, “I could do it right now and it’ll save you $30-$40 since I’m already on site.” He worked on it for over an hour with a thorough cleaning and even fixed something that wasn’t right. yay bazinga!!
    The last time I had it tuned up the “young buck” only worked on it for ~30 minutes. The guy that did the work this year was a repair man.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m currently busy fixing lots of hacked concrete jobs lately. Not sure why but it keeps me busy. I’m also finishing my basement but I chose to do most of it myself so it can be done to my standards. I’m also taking my time with it because it’s easier that way

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

[/quote]

Ah the old…I let a guy borrow it…I understand, I am the first to let my friends use my stuff. My neighbor needed a place to temporarily stay while on a job. I let him use my wheel house and of course on the way back the light plug came undone and the road ground it to nothing. He volunteered to pay for everything but I had to find a dealer, haul it there, pay it (It wasn’t cheap as the cable itself was $100 plus labor as I didn’t want a splice repair) then beg for my money, which he happily paid. The next year he borrowed it I explicitly stated that it must be returned as you took it, if something is broke then fix it before you bring it back, not that here it’s broke, you do all the work and I will pay. It happened again to my newer aluminum trailer I bought from MG however the damage was not as bad and still works but ground end is damaged a bit. Now I say…yes you can use it however bring it back in the SAME condition you took it and not some self repaired effort so now I have a splice, or different tail light, whatever. of course I get grumpier as I age!

blackbay
    mn

I’ve noticed since Covid there have been a bunch of people starting side gigs. Seems like every corner has signs for landscaping, remodeling, concrete, gutters… I’m guessing the pool of qualified guys is pretty watered down.

Wildlifeguy

Went to the doc in July, for what has become rapidly worsening joint pain. Was told I need to see a Rheumatologist, could I get that scheduled for you today, sure I said. Earliest available appointment, Feb. 21, 2024. Hope I last that long.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

So many people have no pride in their work anymore. It’s sad.

And they all want a 20% tip for clicking a button.
    Finding good help is the biggest problem. Most people suck and they are used to getting awards for sucking.

My cousin bought a new house and there is a 1/2” gap in the corner miter on the base trim as you walk into the door. The contractor told him it was with in tolerance. flame Yeah, no it’s not! I am just happy I have the tools and knowledge to do stuff myself. I can’t believe people get paid for that kind of work.

big_g
    Isle, MN

In my opinion, things in the Auto repair business were headed for shortages long before Covid was a thing. Covid just helped it along faster, as those near retirement said… “I’m done” with all the protocols that were put in place as an essential worker. For decades, the youth were told you need a 4 year degree to make any money in this world.. the media touted it, of course the Universities touted it.. and the trades dwindled. I was on a steering committee for the St Cloud school district back in the day and we watched the Auto repair classes at SCTC, go from 3 a year, to 2 and then they could barely field one. Bodyshop class was even worse, went from 4 down to none ! We are booking out a couple weeks, but if someone needs to get in now, we accommodate as best we can. And now with the strike going on, parts are a real issue. doah

CaptainMusky

David, WTF is that dude doing that he is having that much trouble with the wiring plug? SOunds like a real rumhead to me. To hell if I would let him borrow a dang hammer at this point.

MX1825

David, WTF is that dude doing that he is having that much trouble with the wiring plug? SOunds like a real rumhead to me. To hell if I would let him borrow a dang hammer at this point.

I agree. That dude can buy his own trailer or rent from Uhaul. Some people just don’t give a rats behind. Sounds like he could destroy an anvil with a rubber hammer.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.