Interchangeable battery terminal connections?

• walleyevision

I currently have my Helix unit connected to my starting battery with ring type battery connectors. What I’d like to be able to do is use my lithium batteries to power the Helix so I have a cleaner power supply which would hopefully provide better images. My lithiums have the slide type connectors. Obviously I can just snip off the rings connectors I currently have coming from my helix and put on some slide types, but I’d like to have the ability to quickly switch back to the ring-types/starter battery when the lithium battery is out of juice.

Does anyone know if there is any type of connectors where you can change from the slide type to the ring type without having to snip wires every time? My Internet search has turned up zero solutions.

Thanks in advance,

WV

tswoboda

Leave a 2 flat connector on each battery and the other end on the Helix power cord. I’ve got one on my boat, snowmobile, cig adapter, and a genz box and can power a Helix from pretty much any 12v source with that setup.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230910_141907_Amazon-Shopping.jpg

deertracker

I also use a two-flat to switch between my boat, wheeler and ice pack.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Guys above are correct, the flat 2 is the way to do what you need to do. A couple of notes…

Make sure the flat 2 is installed correctly such that the hot lead side is the completely insulated side (line side) and the exposed red lead goes on the device side.

Secondly using ring terminals to connect devices directly to the battery terminals is dodgy and generally the sign of a rigging job. The correct and much better way to do this is to either use an empty circuit in the existing fuse block in the boat or to install a fused terminal block separately. All components obviously must be marine grade.

Grouse

walleyevision

Thanks so much guys, exactly the help I needed.

Grouse, I’m curious about the “dodgy” wiring when using ring terminals to connect my Helix directly to the starting battery. I have an inline fuse so I should be protected and have heard running power directly from the battery gives much better/cleaner power versus bundling with other wires and fuse blocks. Hopefully I’m not messing something up.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Grouse, I’m curious about the “dodgy” wiring when using ring terminals to connect my Helix directly to the starting battery. I have an inline fuse so I should be protected and have heard running power directly from the battery gives much better/cleaner power versus bundling with other wires and fuse blocks. Hopefully I’m not messing something up.

The ring terminal to battery deal is like potato chips. Almost nobody can stop at just one. So you end up with a stack of ring terminals on the battery posts with the potential of corrosion issues and just a general mess. And it’s great that you have an inline fuse but you’d be amazed at how many of these hairballs I’ve taken apart that were completely unfused. also, those little inline fuse holders are notorious for getting water inside, they have to be kept away from as much water as possible. I just fixed a depth finder in Canada that had an inline fuse and of course it had gotten water into it and was all corroded.

Better and cleaner power? Well… That depends on whether you calculated the resistance correctly over the exact run of cable such that you used properly sized wire, that you did good, low resistance splices, and of course, you used shrink wrap or used marine grade waterproof splices at every joint.

DC power has a greater amperage drop over the run distance of the cables, so it is ESSENTIAL that the wire be sized correctly to account for the length of the run and that you use the shortest run possible. If you have an existing fuse block, that block should be fed from the battery by a large cable capable of carrying amperage for multiple devices. So if the shortest run can be had by simply running to a terminal block, then that’s the best and most reliable way to go. I also like fuse blocks because it keeps everything organized and then there’s no trying to figure out which of the 4 inline fuse deals is the right one to look at when Device X stops working.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Interesting Grouse. Pretty much everything I’ve ever read about hooking up graphs says the opposite. Hook directly to the battery and not a fuse block for best performance. Mine are wired directly to the batttery with an inline fuse and have been working great for years and years.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

My first thought was to buy a second power cord for your Helix.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interesting Grouse. Pretty much everything I’ve ever read about hooking up graphs says the opposite. Hook directly to the battery and not a fuse block for best performance. Mine are wired directly to the batttery with an inline fuse and have been working great for years and years.

No idea where you’re reading this, but good for you if it works.

If everybody used this advice, then every modern boat would have a stack of 10-20 ring terminals on the battery posts and everything would be directly connected for “best performance”.

The reason fuse blocks exist and that you’ll never see a stack of ring terminals on the battery of a properly wired boat is for the reasons I’ve outlined. But go ahead and rig it any way you want.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Im just telling you what I’ve seen. There’s been multiple threads here about it over the years. Guys having image issues and have issues with graphs showing low voltage or shutting off when starting the engine. The fix always suggested is to wire direct. You’re definitely an expert though so I won’t argue, but there’s nothing wrong with wiring direct.

Newer boats are probably better wired to handle modern electronics. Older boats aren’t as graphs like we have now didn’t exist.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Grouse it’s true I do believe Humminbird details it in their manual as I recall reading it as well (not on internet forum). I’m too lazy to go dig it out and look though LOL

Here’s how you make your battery terminals look pretty:

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Sorry I guess I couldn’t post the link. Search amazon for “Vgate 20-Stud AGM Battery Post Terminal Distribution Block”

isu22andy

I’m with grubson , There are tons of different posts all over the web about connecting your graph to clean power direct to the battery . Mine have a dedicated fuse block powered by a switch however ha.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.