insulating a detached garage

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

After 30 years I’m going to insulate my garage. For now I’m going to do the ceiling. I’m wondering about ventilation. It is a stick built building with a metal roof so it has a ridge vent and soffit vent. I plan on putting in shoots for the soffit is there any other venting that I will need.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

No, that should be all that is needed. The goal is to let the attic area breathe so the escaping heat doesn’t melt off the roof and create ice dams.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

No, that should be all that is needed. The goal is to let the attic area breathe so the escaping heat doesn’t melt off the roof and create ice dams.

Agree

Just use the foam sleeves and leave the cavity to the roof side. Make sure you run your insulation over the wall plate

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

good that’s what I was thinking.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

too much covid talk, thought it said ISOLATING in a detached garage… fml…

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

well that’s kind of what’s going on. I can’t go back to work until after thanksgiving so now is a good time to do it. My 19 year old son tested positive. My wife and I was negative but I have to be out for 14 days.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

My setup is about the same put baffles and wind blockers on top plate and r38 batts in ceiling . Just that alone i could it up to 58 degrees with a 75 thousand btu propane bullet heater . Next order of business are insulate the 10 ft high wall,s and getting the in floor heat functional . 32×50 is nice to actually be out there when its cold .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.