Insulated vs Uninsulated

• Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I’m currently looking for my first ice shelter. I am leaning heavily towards a flip over for staying mobile. Just wondering if insulated is make or break and what people have experienced for drawbacks on uninsulated. I’m considering going uninsulated due to budget reasons.

CaptainMusky

Now that I have an insulated one I would never consider an uninsulated one.

AnotherFisherman

Insulated 100%. For budget reasons, I went with the uninsulated a few years ago. I have since sold that shack and gotten an insulated. Worth every penny for me.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

To me it kind of depends, if the weather is fair uninsulated is “okay” insulated is sort of the cats meow, no frozen condensation no drips and they are quieter in the wind, and they hold heat longer. Granted they weigh a little more and cost (in some cases) a little more but they are worth it…

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Insulated is obviously better but I’ve never froze myself in an uninsulate. They’ll both do the job you want, one just a little better.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Now that I have an insulated one I would never consider an uninsulated one.

X2

Ive fished for years out of both. An uninsulated will work but if you are gonna buy do it only once

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Spend the extra money and get the insulated. If you go with an uninsulated you’ll be buying insulated next season.

mike e

An uninsulated flip over can easily be insulated with Reflectix. Doesn’t help the sides but does make a big difference. I go from the bottom of the front all the way around and in to the tub. The tarp will never frost up and drip on you. My “beater” trap2 is going on 20 years and it’s Reflectix has held up well.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Now that Ive got the money and have experienced the difference I will always be going insulated.
    Ive got an uninsulated otter lodge I will sell cheap Like $150, its the green canvas with seats, cover and hitch.

Ripjiggen

Fished for a lot of years in an uninsulated. Never froze or was uncomfortable. May have used a bit more propane than I do now but usually had to take layers off to be comfortable. Is insulated canvas better sure thicker material harder to damage, keeps heat in better so less propane.
    I have a clam yukon uninsulated that I would be willing to part with for cheap if you are interested send me a pm.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I just purchased an Eskimo 450 XD and have a Clam Command Post that is uninsulated. I would echo the comments that with uninsulated I have never been cold. I run a sunflower on top of a 15 pound LP tank and that heats the place pretty good but still have buddy heaters for feet if needed.

But just like the rest of ice fishing and maybe fishing in general you get what you pay for and I think that the difference in price for the insulation is worth it. I bought this shack more for the floor to ceiling door rather than insulation but the price difference was not bad between the two.

Sylvanboat

I rarely fish in sub-zero temps and with my Portable Big Buddy, my uninsulated Clam Trap Guide is fine. More often than not I am taking clothes off.

MnPat1

For a hub house I like the non insulated houses better. For a flip over house I would choose insulated.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Weight and costs are the only drawbacks in my opinion. would never go uninsulated again.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Fished for a lot of years in an uninsulated. Never froze or was uncomfortable. May have used a bit more propane than I do now but usually had to take layers off to be comfortable. Is insulated canvas better sure thicker material harder to damage, keeps heat in better so less propane.
    I have a clam yukon uninsulated that I would be willing to part with for cheap if you are interested send me a pm.

I have a Yukon also and thinking about selling but don’t know what to ask for price. What are they worth?

Deuces

To provide the best answer we first need to qualify the op here.

Where will it be used? Iowa might not need super warm.

Need it lighter, bad back, torn knee? It happens.

Budget, not everyone is rich, or even middle income. Folks got away with uninsulated for decades and survived and have many good memories.

For a first timer on a budget, I say get what you can afford. Once you figure out what you like and pocket more change, then upgrade later.

mrpike1973

Insulated only way to go if you get an uninsulated one and want to upgrade you can hardly give them away. I tried on a site for a month to get rid of it. Just a thought.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have a Otter Lodge that just has the insulated roof and I don’t have any complaints about staying warm with a buddy heater. I don’t head out too much in sub-zero Temps though either.

I’m going to be putting it up for sale soon and getting a Eskimo flipover, not so much for the insulation but for the door on each side as opposed to the single door in front which is a pita imo.
    I’ve long been a big fan of the Eskimo brand, owning a 949I & a Eskimo auger. At the time I got the Otter the Eskimo flipovers were a bit underwhelming.
    Shoot me a pm if you have any interest in my Lodge, its in brand new condition.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Uninsulated is just a wind block and a sun light block. Insulated is for heat retention.

Timmy

I know lots of guys that have went from uninsulated to insulated, but not so much the other way around.

Insulated for me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Same story as others. I sold my uninsilated shack and bought insulated. Wont look back

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I have to pull my gear on 90% of lakes I fish in SE MN so weight was my #1 reason to go un insulated. 8 or so years in my 949 fatfish and I can’t remember a day I left early because I was cold. I don’t even use a big buddy.
    I built a smitty sled last season and I can pull it with my pinky now so my next hub might be insulated?
    As for the flip overs, the worse part is the flapping in the wind so a heavier insulated material might cut that down?

BackwaterICE

I’ve ran uninsulated, uninsulated + reflectix and insulated. I look at it this way, if it is cold enough to be fishing in a shack then it is better to have the insulation.

Reflectix works but it isn’t ideal vs a fully insulated shack. If you are tight on cash add the reflectix before buying a new insulated shack – especially if you like everything else about your current setup.

If you are buying new, get insulated. You’ll save on lp and the fabric usually lasts longer. Just don’t be the guy that goes out on a nice day and sits in the flip over the whole time, move around, find active fish.

Besox

Both work, if you are sticking to a budget look for the layout you like.

Rick Janssen

I have been kicking this around for years. I have a VERY old otter (purple) and I keep thinking about getting something new that is insulated, but I have to ALWAYS pull my house on the ice. Also moving it in and out of the back of the traverse is getting harder each year I get older. I have fished out of the un -insulated house and don’t remember getting too cold. I use a smaller heater and I can always fish with hat and mittens off. I actually have another heater (small sunflower) and I can’t remember the last time I used it because I get too hot. I have the Striker bibs and that helps too. I really can’t image wearing those bibs in an insulated house. I kind of have to strip down now in my house. On warm days I don’t even light the heater all the time. About the only thing I have problems with are my toes, and I don’t think the insulated top would help that anyhow. Anyway, I have decided to keep my old house because it is soooo much lighter and that for me is the big factor.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Personally I’d only get insulated. They cost more and are heavier. Uninsulated has way worse resale, it is lighter, cheaper and also the condensation annoys the he77 out of me. I don’t like getting rained on in a house. What type of house are you looking for? Good chance someone here has one to help you out. Used insulated can be had for a reasonable price.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you get a insulated shack and fish in heavy wet snow they will get soaked. I bring mine home and set it up in the garage with fans to dry it out

Gilgetter

90% of my fishing is outside in an Eskimo Float Suit. The days when it’s just too windy/ cold to keep things working I fish out of a non-thermal flip. I have 100 bucks into the whole setup with a seat and travel cover and I rarely use a heater. I am a hole hopper and I think the lighter weight helps me move easier. If it’s too comfy I am more apt to sit over dead sea than move along. I have had several of both styles. I personally didn’t notice a huge difference in the warmth aspect between the two. More so that the thermal didn’t drip near as bad. They cost a lot and are heavier. I Don’t know your budget or circumstances but I wouldn’t write off a good used non-thermal. You can buy an awful lot of propane with the money you save.

BackwaterICE

If you get a insulated shack and fish in heavy wet snow they will get soaked. I bring mine home and set it up in the garage with fans to dry it out

I spray mine with camp dry every season – never had a problem

SW Eyes

The thing with insulated vs uninsulated is the frost build is way worse in uninsulated. That’s the big thing for me. When the heater starts burning some it off and you get water dripping everywhere, not ideal. You also have to be more careful to make sure you’re getting it dry. Packing it away with the inside wet can cause problems (freeze, mold, etc., I almost never get the moisture/frost build up on the inside of an insulated).

It doesn’t make much sense to me to have a beef with insulated fabric getting a little wet when fishing with water on the ice (which is how often?), but you’re fine with the inside of your shack dripping wet with condensation or frosted to heck every single time you’re out.

As mentioned, you also have to burn less propane. I can fish out of my smaller insulated otter cabin without the heat running at all at times. I can run a single burner portable buddy on low in any temperature.

If you can’t haul around an insulated house, you’re going to have trouble with hauling an uninsulated also. We’re not talking a feather vs bowling ball, here. It a handful of pounds, max.

You get the junky uninsulated fabrics that you can basically see through after a while. I can lock up my otter hubs and get pretty dark during daylight for sight fishing, etc.

Uninsulated is not as durable. Insulated is going to last you longer more often than not.

You can fish without it and it won’t kill you. But, it costs more because it’s better. Plain and simple.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.