Installing Helix SI Transducer in Al Hull

• Adam Stubbe

Hey guys I want advice on ducer locale. Was installed high to right – haven’t had on water yet but suspect it’s gonna be impeded by outboard (see the first pic). It also seemed high (see pic 2).

My thought was to move closer to center of transom to get a better view where outboard wouldn’t be obstructing view.
    Also thinking of installing lower on transom for better readings at higher speeds in 2D. That make sense?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190508_103901.jpg

2. IMG_20190508_103845.jpg

reddog

SI beam is narrow. Do you have trim and tilt? If you want reading at higher speeds, then you must mount it in the water coming off the hull. If you want it mounted safe, then go higher. Typically, Id say use a mounting board, but that will only project you back further with more chance of impeding the SI beam.. Youre not going to be able to avoid the rivets in that hull, but make sure you stay away from any additional strakes on the bottom of the hull that will disrupt the water flow. 12 to 15 inches left of center is my starting point on any install that is expected to perform at speeds without any additional hardware. (high speed and y cables)

reddog

If you find the sweet spot, standard supplied hardware should perform at speeds up to 40ish. When you find the sweet spot, you should find that DI is a better performer at speed than 2D.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

1st, always get a mounting board. You will change your mind or get another ducer at some point. Learned this the hard way personally. Yes it puts it a little farther back but absolutely worth it.

I trim my motor to help getting a clear SI picture to the one side. If that’s an option for you, that would be my recommendation.

Otherwise Reddog did a nice job covering it.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Clockwise prop rotation puts the wash from the center to the port side. Mounting on the starboard is generally the cleaner water.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.