Inside turns

• Corey Hillesheim

Can someone explain to me what defines an inside turn. I have done some research and just need some clarification to know if I understand it correctly.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Inside turns are marked with a red X

Attachments:
    1. Inside-Turn.png

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Well, I’m glad I found this thread! Explains why I’m a mediocre fisherman…I always thought inside turns were these areas I marked in yellow.

Thanks Joe for teaching me something today!

Attachments:
    1. 1.png

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

That would be the outside tip of the turns the steeper ones can also be good at times I focus on the tip of a point or structure and steep breaks on the tips or points as well. Both have there times when they produce. Wind usually plays a factor for me on the fishin the sharp tips and what the depth is on top of the structure.

Well, I’m glad I found this thread! Explains why I’m a mediocre fisherman…I always thought inside turns were these areas I marked in yellow.

Thanks Joe for teaching me something today!

tim hurley

Curl your finger, the palm side or intierior of that curve would be the inside. (methinks)

Corey Hillesheim

So where I put that yellow x why is that not classified as an inside turn

Attachments:
    1. 7B589BA9-F645-40AE-956D-06D6BD8F28C7.jpeg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I always thought inside turns were these areas I marked in yellow.

Make sure you pay attention to the depths, I thought so at first but in the illustrations the white area is the deepest. And the shallowest point is between Joe’s 3 red X’s.

404 ERROR
    MN

I did it wrong for many, many years. About 5 years ago, I was out fishing with another “experienced” fisherman and he made me feel like an absolute idiot when he called me out on it after about 4 hours of fishing spots I picked…during prime time…I always look at it like Tim said. Curl your finger, towards the palm is deep and the finger is shallow and is your “inside turn”.

I can’t definitively say for sure if my catch rate increased, but I can sure say the pressure in the spots I now pick are higher… doah

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Look at the main depth you highlighted in yellow let’s call it 46ft now if you took that contour line and highlited that depth it is basically a straight line and you picked the middle of the straight line. Do the same thing with Joes and they all make a ‘C’ shape and his X is on the inside of the C that’s a inside turn. If That helps at all.

competitor
    South central, mn

I think another way to understand it is deeper water turned into shallower water at the bend. Look at the red X by on Joe’s illustration. Joe is an amazing fisherman and a great guy.

Dan
    Southeast MN

This topic/thread is awesome. I think a lot of people can benefit from re-hasing out the “basics.” I apparantly was right on what I thought an inside turn was but it’s nice to have that confirmed and hear more detail on it.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Great topic but I win.

Attachments:
    1. 74DE3E9A-12EE-410D-AB4E-636AFE8888F8.jpeg

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

So Joe on your red X’s is that where you fish or just a general area to start. When fishing these inside turns is it one of the things where as darkness approaches you work yourself up from deeper to shallower water on the turn as it get’s darker?

This is a great topic and appreciate guys taking time to explain. The inside turns are mainly walleye spots or will they hold all types of fish?

404 ERROR
    MN

When fishing inside turns, I always start out where the steep drop levels itself off, acting as a funnel. Not very many inside turns are setup good for that tactic, but when they are, that’s where I start. Pretty sure I heard about it in an old IDO episode. Didn’t find a really good example, but I only spent a second or two looking. Hopefully this picture will give you an idea of what I mean.

Attachments:
    1. gsfdbd.jpg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Not just for walleye. The episode merican eagle is referencing is from last season and they were up in the angle I believe and has good information regarding inside turns. Hopefully this is right episode, I didn’t check before linking. Season 10 Episode 18. You can look up on this site as well.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Watch this one. This is all about mapping concepts and talks about the inside turns.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jamin wrote:</div>
    I always thought inside turns were these areas I marked in yellow.

Make sure you pay attention to the depths, I thought so at first but in the illustrations the white area is the deepest. And the shallowest point is between Joe’s 3 red X’s.

BW- good catch, that was exactly my issue. doah So I was correct all along…unfortunately I no longer have an excuse now about my mediocre ice fishing skills.

broman

It’s kind of an inside turn, but not as major as some. Either way, I like that spot as it’s a pinch point.

curleytail

Interesting discussion. I remember Dave Genz talking about inside turns as a spot where deep water cuts into shallow water, in a way creating 3 “walls.”

What I caught from this thread was a couple guys feeling sheepish for fishing the opposite of an inside turn. To me, the opposite of an inside turn is an outside turn, or a point. Call me crazy but I fish points fairly often, especially in open water.

Are many of you finding that inside turns are better through the ice than points are?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.