Input on Panfish Rod & Reel

• Brian Smith

SPOT ON

Ok 2 weeks ago, I am side by side with my buddy that has the panfish series 7lxf. Both had 4lb test floroclear, both 2000 sized reels. A school of crappies hovered over a stand of cabbage 50′ from the boat. I knew it because I could count each crappie Mega live. I was spot locked facing into a 12-15 mph wind. I was trying to give my buddy first dibs, I said cast and 60′ and gave him the direction. His 1/32 oz minnow head jig with a 2″ grub fluttered out about 40-45′. He tried 3-4 times and could reach it. I cast my bait 70′ swami back and pulled a 12.5″ crappie. When I moved the boat closer so he could have a better chance, the fish got boat shy. I gave him my rod to try, he was shocked at the difference. He could reach them with ease. He went and bought the LE 70lXF the next day. I could give you numerous other scenarios, for instance, casting into a wind. NO comparison. Accuracy? the xf action is way more accurate

If you enjoy pitching light jigs for panfish this is a great choice of rods. I have experienced the very same scenario and also casting to docks 50 ft away in gin clear water. I’ve fished several times with other skilled anglers in my boat who refuse to spend much for a quality rod and reel. That is their choice for sure as they likely don’t do as much of this type of fishing that I do. It’s really no different than owning a high end walleye rod and reel for pitching jigs. If you don’t fish that way very often high end gear to do it probably makes no sense. In the big scheme of things after spending money to own a truck, boat, spend the money to travel and fish, the cost of a nice set up expensed over the course of many years ( trips ) is really pretty insignificant at the end of the day. Just my very humble opinion.

Brian Smith

I also meant to mention bite detection. Casting the jig to the spot is only one
    part of the equation. Bite detection at that distance is a huge factor. Big crappie can inhale and expel a jig as quick as any walleye. It’s a race of reactions. Fun and exciting game for sure.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

wormdunker get what you want price wise and screw the ones who think your nuts.It’s your money,your choice so enjoy whatever you get.

Brittman

Late May we were on a favorite crappy spot on a small lake. One evening the bite was so light that my son switched to a bobber and hook/minnow. He would cast about 15-20 yards out from the boat. When the bobber stopped drifting or the drift slowed against the light breeze he knew a crappie was on. Bobber almost never went under water and when it did it was usually a sunfish or small bass.

I get the rod sensitivity effect, but you also need to have the right line to transmit the soft bite.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

For each person, one has to go with what resonates with each individual the most. What works well for one person, may only work so so for another. There are situational fishing conditions that will favor certain techniques and methods far better than other. For example wind drifting a bobber, or slip bobber in a pocket of vegetation, to maybe even stream fishing. My bobber system for casting to a 10 yards zone is different from casting to a target 30+ yards away.

Some people do enjoy the feel of the rod load with fish on. To others it looks like an unnecessary struggle of a fish fight. Some people need a long winding cast to get any distance with a rod. To others, it’s just a little more than a wrist flick to get the rod to impart action. Some people need the power hook set, raising the rod to 12 O’clock or even more so in reverse. To others maybe a foot or two of the rod tip is enough.

Just never know, experiment a little to find out what resonates with you.

Jimmy Jones

Whatever you land on and like, go buy another just like it. Or two more. Or just flat out more. Panfishing is one aspect of fishing that one cannot have enough rods to cover it effectively.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.