Input on Panfish Rod & Reel

• Bergy21

I am looking at up grading to a nicer panfish rod and reel. Considering the St. Croix Legend Elite 6’9” or the TUCR Apex 6’8”. Any experience with these or other recommendations? I will mainly be slip bobber fishing or casting 1/32 or 1/16 ounce jigs.

Also trying to decide between the Shimano Vanford 500 or 1000 reel for that setup.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Either would be a extremely nice panfish rod. That would be the shortest length I would consider though.

PmB

JT panhandler is worth looking at. It’s also a good light duty walleye rod. Id go w the larger reel. Both are super light weight but 1000 has a stronger drag and should be able to cast further w larger spool.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Some nice rods listed. I would recommend seeing the rods in person so you can put a reel on it, check the balance, and look over guide lineup. One would think the higher $$$ rods would have straight guides. Unfortunately, this is not the case all the time. Sometimes you need to use a different reel to get the rod balance correctly. One should be able to hold the reel with the stem going through your ring finger and middle finger, and use your middle finger and pointer finger to raise and lower the tip without anything else touching the rod.

Stanley

I would go with the 1000 size reel. While the vanford is a nice reel (I have 1) I would look at the diawa reels in that price point as well.

wormdunker

The legend elite panfish 70lxf is one of my favorite rods I’ve ever owned. I’ve owned a lot. But I argue reel size, larger spool diameter allows greater casting distance, smoother drage due to larger darg washers. I don’t buy into the match the real to the daintiness of ultra light fishing. Given the weight or lack there of, of todays reels, go with a 2500 version, I use Daiwa LT reels. They wiegh less than yesteryears 100 series and give you far more benefits.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

JT panhandler is worth looking at. It’s also a good light duty walleye rod. Id go w the larger reel. Both are super light weight but 1000 has a stronger drag and should be able to cast further w larger spool.

X2, this is a great rod

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Your choice of rods and those mentioned all good choices.I would go with a Lite action over an UL action and a 1000 reel.

Dan Baker

I have the TUCR APEX Elite UL and the Apex UL. The Apex is much more moderate action. It is more whippy. I use it as my bobber rod for panfishing. The Elite is more of a traditional backbone, but with a very light tip. It is much more sensitive and works great for casting small jigs or vertical jigging.

Deuces

$400 on a panfish rod hurts my brain, but to each their own.

The regular panfish series from Croix is top notch, couple the 7l with a okuma helios 20 and that’s gonna be as good as ya can get imo. Anything over $200 is just for show imho

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

True. One could get a custom rod built for less. Nice thing with TRUE custom rods (not just picking thread colors) is they can balance the rod to the reel you like and shape the handle to your hand. It is worth looking into a custom rod if you are looking at spending over $200. Move on to somewhere else if you go to get a custom rod and are not asked what reel you will be using. I won’t start designing a rod without the reel first. Line choice will also play a part.

wormdunker

The regular panfish series from Croix is top notch, couple the 7l with a okuma helios 20 and that’s gonna be as good as ya can get imo. Anything over $200 is just for show imho

The regular panfish series next the Legend Elite has the feel of a wet noodle. The panfish series blank just has no back bone to really toss small lures a distance. I have fished them side by side, same line, same bait, Legend elite casts a lot further because the blank doesn’t collapse like the panfish series.

They don’t compare in sensitivity either. The OP mentioned he was considering the LE Panfish, I assume he knows the price structure. That 70LXF is an amazing rod if you go that route.

Deuces

How far do you need to cast? I have a “cheap” HMG UL that casts a 1/16oz jig as far as I’d want it to go, any more there’s far too much bow in the line for any braid, high sensitivity rod to pickup on. And how many days do ya fish there’s not a slight breeze that destroys any type of sensitivity on 4# line

Haven’t touched an elite myself, good info on the comparison, but I’ve found the wet noodle has the parabolic action to cast lighter lures. Main reason most crank casting rods are moderate action which i also own and outcasts any other rods with heavier backbone.

Guy wants to spend 400 heck, ain’t my dough go for it. But until I get outfished by a 400+ rod I’ll stick w my sub 200 rods.

Brittman

I have found that the Okuma Celilo 6′ UL rod coupled with a nice real (Shimano Sahara) makes a nice panfish rig. I have two or three set up this way for those who fish with me and do not have their own rod and reel along. It works very well for casting small lures and fishing with a bobber. Total set up under a $100 each.

Son landed a 20″ post spawn bass on this system just after Memorial Day. Rod had enough backbone to fight and land the fish.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I will 100% agree with Deuces. Rod action will play a part in how far one can cast. A parabolic action will act more like a large spring lever and an ex-fast action will act as a smaller spring lever because of the amount of the rod that flexes in a cast. (Only true if one doesn’t overpower the blank by trying to cast too hard for it. One can whip fast action rods harder. I made a jig to test just how the rod loads and tosses a lure on its own power to prove it.) The materials the blanks are made of will also play a roll. But generally, a faster action rod will have more feel because it is stiffer for more of the rod. (The shorter spring doesn’t absorb as much sensation.) The guide train will also paly a part. I have built 2 identical rods with the only difference being the type of stripper guide I used. Using a wave stripper guide got me another 5’ average on a 1/32 oz jig. The heavier the lure the less this comes into play to some extent. With a bobber stop I lost 8’.

Dan Baker

Where is the $400 coming from? BTW, I use the Diawa 750 for my ul reels.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have found that the Okuma Celilo 6′ UL rod coupled with a nice real (Shimano Sahara) makes a nice panfish rig. I have two or three set up this way for those who fish with me and do not have their own rod and reel along. It works very well for casting small lures and fishing with a bobber. Total set up under a $100 each.

Son landed a 20″ post spawn bass on this system just after Memorial Day. Rod had enough backbone to fight and land the fish.

I have 2 Celilo’s. 6 and 6.5. Both use Ceymar reels. This is my third year with them and they are a fantastic bargain. I would however not mind having a rig like the OP is getting. Sounds awesome.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I used to have nothing but 6ft rods for just about everything and while it works, however once you go with something 6.9′ or longer and a little nicer it really feels better and works better.

Deuces

Also a celios owner, just like every other okuma gear I have its an awesome value.

6′ has its place, I use both 6 celios and 7 hmg regularly, grabbed the hmg cause the kiddo likes using the celios and smokes me every time, couldn’t be happier about that!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

When you get a really nice rod and fish tiny lures it’s has a very different feel in use. Even using stealthy tiny bobbers/strike indicators is totally different from the typical bobber set up.

I’m a stupid St. Croix fanboy, and I really still like my Premiere 6′ L spinning rod. I have a Legend Elite in 6′ L spinning too that does the same thing, just a bit more pronounced.

I had used a Shimano Poison Adrena 6’10” UL/M rod. A unique rod with an UL tip but goes into a M power backbone. Wonderful rod for those stream/river scenarios of panfish in fast current.

wormdunker

How far do you need to cast? I have a “cheap” HMG UL that casts a 1/16oz jig as far as I’d want it to go, any more there’s far too much bow in the line for any braid, high sensitivity rod to pickup on. And how many days do ya fish there’s not a slight breeze that destroys any type of sensitivity on 4# line

Ok 2 weeks ago, I am side by side with my buddy that has the panfish series 7lxf. Both had 4lb test floroclear, both 2000 sized reels. A school of crappies hovered over a stand of cabbage 50′ from the boat. I knew it because I could count each crappie Mega live. I was spot locked facing into a 12-15 mph wind. I was trying to give my buddy first dibs, I said cast and 60′ and gave him the direction. His 1/32 oz minnow head jig with a 2″ grub fluttered out about 40-45′. He tried 3-4 times and could reach it. I cast my bait 70′ swami back and pulled a 12.5″ crappie. When I moved the boat closer so he could have a better chance, the fish got boat shy. I gave him my rod to try, he was shocked at the difference. He could reach them with ease. He went and bought the LE 70lXF the next day. I could give you numerous other scenarios, for instance, casting into a wind. NO comparison. Accuracy? the xf action is way more accurate

Pitter patter

Love my temple fork outfitters 6’6” ul rod. Great sensitivity and only 3.1 ounces

LabDaddy1

Yep! Can’t imagine spending even $200 on a crappie rod/reel combo… I could see if it’s your main fishing hobby and you do a lot of it, but I do it 2-3 times a year. I’d feel bad spending more than $80-$120 on any crappie combo.

Of course that’s my scenario and opinion(and it only cost me $0.02). But still, really, spending $300-400 plus seems really absurd.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was wondering the same thing. High end crappie bobber rod? The last few years I’ve been fishing Crappie Stix rods and really surprised at the price on them. Maybe I’m missing something the higher end rods are offering but can’t imagine what while watching a bobber. Nice mid range Diawa reel on it and the combo might still be under $150.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I agree about spending that much on a crappie rod is a little much. I have nice crappie rods but have two panfish series and one avid. The avid I just got last year at the show and got a heck of a deal on it.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Trying out the 13 Fish UL Omen 7. I have a couple tooth tamer 7 ft ul for panfish and they work well. Getting a discount on the Omen for $50 if I had to pay the $120 for the panfish rod I would not pickup.

wormdunker

I guess the OP should have titled this post, “Everyone tell me how dumb I am spending $400 on a rod and reel”.

Deuces

I guess the OP should have titled this post, “Everyone tell me how dumb I am spending $400 on a rod and reel”.

Fair assessment. But along w the sentiment in the covering a boat thread in rain the OP is going to do what they do no matter the opinion here. Its a conversation, if one can’t handle information that’s contrary to what they may want to hear than that’s on them. More data for anything in this world only helps formulate a better outcome.

Lots of rods out there <400 that could whip a lure with a 15mph wind to your back 60′, and lots of variables in setups that usually aren’t right even with those rods that won’t let anglers get that. Size of reel, age of line, how often that line is used, mechanics of the cast, list goes on. But at the end of the day, as said before to each their own.

I started on this site years ago, back than it was pretty intimidating with all the guides on here, using top of the line stuff, pimping it as such, skeeter threads, ranger threads, gloomis, expensive jigs heads, fancy electronics, rainwear, footwear, etc etc. Can really make a guy think he needs it, especially young anglers whom has been said we need more of in our fishing world. I simply try and present a cheaper alternative view in matters. I like expensive hiking pants and fast pedal bikes, some think that’s dumb, don’t bother me, I think expensive rods are dumb, I just hope others aren’t bothered by that either.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.