Inflatable PFD's question

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This really shouldn’t be that hard, I wouldn’t think.

Here’s an excerpt from a post written in 2005. It basically shows this fella is running into the same wall we have here.

USCG say “depends. Read the label”.
    MN DNR says “read the label”.
    Label says… Well, I’m not sure what the label says.

I know the correct answer…”just wear the damn thing”

What blows me away more, is that neither the manufacturers of these PFDs, nor the Coast Guard who rate them, know or will tell you what the differences is. About 4 years ago, Brian Carpenter and I got in an argument one day while fishing on this issue one morning. Adamant I was wrong, we spent the next 6 hours floating around Frank’s Tract in search of some truths. We contacted several manufacturers of these PFDs, we got the same response from development teams from each, “We don’t know the parameters used by the USCG on how they rate our PFDs.” REALLY? You build and distribute these to recreational users and you can’t tell me the guidelines? Whoa!

Okay, so our search then lead us to various departments of the USCG, we first contacted the Station in Alameda, CA, which had no clue and referred us to their California Training facility at TRACEN Petaluma/Benicia. No help here and we were then referred to the R&D Center in Groton, CT. This facility actually attempted to help us research our queries, but eventually couldn’t help either and referred us to the USCG R&D Center in New London, CT. Turns out this group was unable to answer our questions as well. OMG, nobody can tell us how they rate these vest and the differences between a Type III and Type V. That’s scary folks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Vern, your answer from the MN DNR
    (ps I would print this off and keep it in your boat)

“In response to Buzz’s question – you were right on the different requirements between commercial and recreational. It sounds like the inflatable he has is not required to be worn – it would state it directly otherwise. As Buzz suggested and as the Coast Guard stated life jackets can have multiple approvals. It would clearly state that it must be worn in order to count as a USCG-approved life jacket, but the commercial vessel requirement probably confuses that.

Lisa Dugan

Phone: 651-259-5354

Cell: 651-571-6531

Title: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources – Description: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources”

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

lotevest

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

To Lisa from the DNR…it’s a fishing website.

Sorry,

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Your assuming Lisa identifies as a woman, how dare you Sir.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.