Inflatable PFD's question

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

The MN Boating Guide states that ” Some inflatable life vests are required to be worn in order to be counted as one of
    your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable flotation devices”?

Does anyone know which types are required to be worn and which types can be taken off while fishing. I’ve been under the belief that those inflatables that allow visual inspection of the arming device (through a plastic window on the vest) where the type that could be taken off but still counted as a PFD on-board? Recently a CO almost wrote me a ticket about this and didn’t, when he read the Boating Guide and saw the disparity?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Can’t answer your question but why would you take it off in the first place? From what i understand they are so lite and comfortable you forget you have them on.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Will the approved inflatable PFD satisfy the USCG carriage requirement?

Only if the user complies with the approval conditions will the carriage requirement be met. Unlike the inherently buoyant wearable PFDs, which must be readily available, an inflatable PFD must be worn to meet the carriage requirement.

More>>>>>
    Type V – Automatic inflation models:

Intended Use:
    Restricted to the one use for which it is designed, ex. belt pack, deck suit, float coat.

Minimum Buoyancy:
    22.5 to 34 lbs. depending on style.

Additional Information:
    Must be worn to meet federal requirements.

Not guaranteed to turn an unconscious wearer face-up. Some manufacturers claim Type II performance. Some models feature a combination of CO2 inflation and built-in foam and provide 15.5 to 22 lbs. of buoyancy.

Kyhl
    Savage

During the day I take mine off while fishing via electric trolling motor. If trolling with the main motor it is usually on. The difference being that I can use the remote that is attached to my clothing to steer the electric or anchor the boat if I fall out.

When fishing in the dark it is on because I don’t trust drunkin’ boaters.

If I fished moving water it would probably be on at all times.

When under way it is on with the kill switch tether attached.

To stay compliant while fishing I also keep a standard foam vest on my chair.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have asked this a couple times and never have I gotten a for sure answer. I also keep a standard vest on my seat just to be sure I am legal, but 90% of the time I am wearing my inflatable.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Vern I can tell you that the “window” has nothing to do with the inflatable being compliant with the CG regs.

Float Tech’s have a window and in the instructions it specifically states, “must be worn”. They have the window for checking to ensure it’s charged.

To stay compliant while fishing I also keep a standard foam vest on my chair.

waytogo

There are some days when anything worn is too hot.

I think you might want to check with the Coast Guard to get your answer… (I don’t trust the MN Boating Guide for border waters btw)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Everything you wanted to know about USCG inflateable PFD’s but were afraid to ask.

Enjoy!

Attachments:
    1. CFR-2011-title46-vol6-part160-subpart160-076.pdf

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From Float Tech “All inflatables have to be worn as far as we know. That is the only way they meet stowage requirements.”

The MN Boating Guide states that ” Some inflatable life vests are required to be worn in order to be counted as one of
    your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable flotation devices”?

I’m going out on a limb and going to say the MN Boaters Guide is confusing people… even CO’s. Delete the “inflatable” and the sentence makes sense.

Jake Jacobs

Buzz is correct, if the window allows the user to see the inflation mechanism, and that it is loaded … they do NOT have to be worn.
    Yes, most CO’s do not know the rules regarding inflatbale PFD’s.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jake, where is that “law, rule, regulation or CFR”?

Jake Jacobs

This is from the DNR website, which is a terrible explanation, they do NOT go into which inflatable life vests must be worn …

Some inflatable life vests are required to
    be worn in order to be counted as one of
    your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable
    flotation devices. Inflatables are not
    approved for use on personal watercraft or
    while water-skiing or similar sports. Read the
    label and follow any restrictions.

tim hurley

Got caught in a sudden hard rain and I had one inflate

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Got caught in a sudden hard rain and I had one inflate

I’ll bet that was a puckerable event? shock

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I had the same question last summer, so I called the DNR office in St. Paul. I was told that you need to read and comply with the manufacturer label. Some inflatables are required to be worn to count, and some are not. They stressed that it could not be determined by any other means than how the manufacturer has labeled it.

Jake Jacobs

This was the reply I received from the DNR this morning …
    I know that Onyx inflatables, that if they pfd has the Insight window they do not need to be worn (but you should).

Good morning, Jake –

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR Info Center.

I’m going to send your note over to the folks in Enforcement so they can get back to you, because I know they’re working on this same question already. We’re hoping to get a list of specific types of inflatables to make this easier. For now all I can say is read the label – it will tell you if it that particular PFD must be worn. Personal watercraft (like a Jet Ski), water skiing, etc. DO require that a life jacket be worn, not just strapped on the back.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been wrong before but I believe the wording is incorrect in the MN Boaters guide.

This is true however.

I called the DNR office in St. Paul. I was told that you need to read and comply with the manufacturer label.

I would like to know how Onyx inflatables were approved to be not worn?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the MN DNR:

Alright Brian, here we go. I’m just going pass along the entire email exchange. I will absolutely update the 2019 MN Boating Guide, but I guess it still comes back to reading the label.

Feel free to pass this along to the group and you can add my contact information as well. Open to suggestions on the boating guide, always happy to make improvements. It’s a living breathing document and more in-depth than what many states offer being that it’s not updated by a third party vendor. Most importantly, stay safe while on the water so we can keep doing what we love!

Lisa Dugan

Phone: 651-259-5354

Cell: 651-571-6531

Title: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources – Description: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the USCG:

isa,

In order to give you a good answer I would have to do a little bit of research. The easiest way to tell is to read the label.

This is where it gets cumbersome to explain; it all depends on which standard a life jacket is certified to. And some life jackets have multiple approvals.

Type-II

Type-V with Type-III performance

Level 70

https://www.traconed.com/files/pub/180045_USCG.pdf

https://www.mustangsurvival.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-Mustang_US-Library/default/dwfb6da6da/mustang/owners-manuals/HT3159_MD2014_MD2016_17Jul2012.pdf

https://www.mustangsurvival.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-Mustang_US-Library/default/dwf1a166b9/mustang/owners-manuals/HT1172-MD5183_28Aug2015.pdf

https://www.mustangsurvival.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-Mustang_US-Library/default/dw0b03ac06/mustang/owners-manuals/HT1121_MD3183_MD3184_14FEB17.pdf

https://www.mustangsurvival.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-Mustang_US-Library/default/dw08461444/mustang/owners-manuals/HT3075_MD3075_28AUG2015.pdf

Tom Dardis

Recreational Boating Safety Outreach Coordinator

U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Division (CG-BSX-21)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the MN DNR:

Thank Toms, I appreciate the response. For conversation sake, do you know of any inflatables currently on the market that are not labeled with the “approved only when worn”? Now it’s just a bit of curiosity J Thanks again!

Lisa Dugan

Phone: 651-259-5354

Cell: 651-571-6531

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the USCG:

Hi Lisa,

If a life jacket (type or level, foam or inflatable) is required to be worn to meet the carriage requirement it will be stated on the label. There are a few variances of the “approved only when worn” statement.

The primary point is some life jackets must be worn to meet carriage so check the label. I am not sure how this will flush out as we transition to the new standards so it would be best not to be too specific in our language.

I like the solution “Some life jackets are required to be worn in order to be counted as one of your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable flotation devices, be sure to check the label”

R

tom

Tom Dardis

Recreational Boating Safety Outreach Coordinator

U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Division (CG-BSX-21)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Each example show lists “approved only when worn” or
    “required to be worn”.

Vern, you lucked out. )

David Bollig

What is the point of buying an inflatable if you are not going to wear it. If you are not then any cheap non-inflatable will do and you will be in the same poor shape, not wearing a life vest when you should. I am sure the people who fall out of their boat every year and drown were not concerned about drowning when they went out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! It is a moot point David.

But the way the law book is written, it makes people think they are staying within the law when they aren’t wearing them.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I think you’re right BK, the problem is in the language.

My understanding that the MN DNR is not interested in making judgement calls on products developed by other folks that are constantly changing. How could they possibly keep up? So they don’t make specific rules, rather they required that you follow the COAST GUARD rules.

Every vest will tell you if it meets USCG carriage standards whether worn or not. That’s all that matters. Don’t worry about the MN law, worry about the Coast Guard rules and just follow them. My 2 cents anyway.

FWIW I completely agree with David. I used to hang my foam vest on the chair. The FW and my mom would harp on me every time they saw a fishing photo with that stupid vest not on my body. Then they rallied my kids against me. Then they took matters into their own hands and bought me a nice inflatable for Christmas. I’ve worn it from launch to load every trip out this year.

No excuses. Stay alive dudes! peace

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

If it is not a “Positive” floatation device – You gotta wear it for it to be considered a life vest. (I wear mine and also have 3 of the PFD’s stored below deck. My question relates to the throwable cushion being out and available…what if you are fishing alone, who is the thro’r that will flip it to the throw’ee. Also if you watch the MLF or the bass’n events, they flip the vests off and on all the time. My understanding of the inflatable vests is that they must be worn to be counted.
    Sorry slow day and it’s raining.
    jim

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Ok my new 2017 says it is approved for recreational craft but then go on to say must be worn on commercial craft. Two separate statements? Looks like it is,a,type II on recreational and then seen as a,type V on commercial? This still doesn’t clearly State it must be worn on a,recreational craft? Or does it? Clear as mud?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can help with part of your question Buzz.

As a guide, I run an uninspected (although I do have it inspected by the USCG) commercial vessel. I must have a Type II PFD on board for every passenger. Those are the orange horse collar type. You know, the ones that no one including myself would wear unless the boat was sinking?

Those stay tucked into the bow of my boat as they do not have to be worn. Then “I” require the inflatables to be worn.

The rule is that I have the Type II’s onboard.
    So your inflatable gives Type II performance but is not a Type II when on a commercial where it’s required. (in my case, a guide boat).

What brand and model PFD do you have?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

What is the point of buying an inflatable if you are not going to wear it. If you are not then any cheap non-inflatable will do and you will be in the same poor shape, not wearing a life vest when you should. I am sure the people who fall out of their boat every year and drown were not concerned about drowning when they went out.

90% of the time I wear my inflatable, but there are days on the lake when it’s 90 plus degrees and calm and I don’t even want to have shorts on! On those days I get to my spot and take the inflatable off, but it goes back on when I get above idle speed. I keep my foam jacket on the back of my seat just for legal reasons. I like the inflatable for comfort when it’s decent temperature, but those hot days anything is too hot and I am not going to quit fishing because it’s too hot, life is too short for that.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My question relates to the throwable cushion being out and available…

Gut, your answer from the MN DNR.

“If I can also clear something up about Type IV Throwables. There was a comment about what good will it do if I’m the only one in the boat, who could throw it to me to help me. It is also there to throw to someone else in the water who is in need. Throwables are required on boats 16’ or longer (except canoes and kayaks) and must be immediately available. “Immediately available” mean easily reached in time of emergency. Wearable devices must be readily accessible. “Readily accessible” mean easily retrievable within a reasonable amount of time in an emergency. PFDs located in locked containers, under heavy objects, or left in shipping bags are not considered readily accessible or immediately available. DNR conservation officers will suggest that the throwable should be within arm’s reach of the operator, this is a citation that can easily be avoided but it’s a very common mistake. This is directly from MN Rule 6110.1100 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/6110.1100/”

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Part of my raising this issue is that the CO I spoke to at Farm Island said the newer CO were writing quite a few tickets about inflatables not being worn. I’d like to see this clarified and make sure the CO’s aren’t ticketing folks wrongly.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.