Inflatable life vests

• Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

I’m in the market for a life vest for my wife and I. I think an inflatable would be something we would be comfortable wearing and keep on. I’ve done some searching on Amazon, and Cabelas, but I thought I’d check in here to see what the IDO people had to say. The one I’ve looked at Cabelas is the Cabela’s Tournament ZX 4000 Auto PFD, $149.00. I know you can spend twice that for an inflatable vest, but what do you get for the extra cost? I’m willing to pay whatever for peace of mind, especially because I do fish alone sometimes, and I’m old and fat, and probably couldn’t pull myself back into a boat if I tried, and this may help me hang on.

Also, is there a search function for the forums? I haven’t been able to find it. If you click on the magnifying glass symbol on the top of the page, it brings you out on the internet?
    Thanks all

piscatorialmaize

One piece not to overlook as you research vests is the re-charge kit, how easy can you get one and what do they cost. I made the mistake with a Cabelas vest where the price looked good but the re-charge kit is a total pain to get. All it takes is to forget that instant inflatable vest in the bottom of the boat when it rains and POOF you need a recharge kit.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn
    Dustin Tichy

Inflatables need to be worn to count as your PFD (or so I have heard and I follow this rule) So if you go out in the boat with only inflatables, you wear them the whole time. If you have a traditional PFD in the boat you can take the inflatable off if you want. I have the Cabelas one and really like mine. It is bulky at first but after a while you forget you are wearing it. I like to also have it on during cold water early fishing for sure. If I am not running and gunning and I have another person in the boat, I will typically not wear a PFD during the summer, but it is a personal choice. I have had mine for several years and the indicator is still green. Not sure how long it will last before I need a recharge kit.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Not to talk you out of inflatables, but I have started wearing my kayaking life jacket whenever I’m in the boat. I forget I’m wearing it. I use to hardly wear one, and had thought about if I were to get knocked out and the kids were with not the last thing I would need them to remember of me. I thought about inflatables, but remembered how the kayaking was comfortable why not just wear it in the boat.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a cabelas 3500 which I believe is the model they had out before the 4000. Its comfortable. If you keep an eye out you can find them on sale from time to time. I got mine for around $75 if I recall. The recharge kit is sold on cabelas site for $25 so in the case of the cabelas models we are talking about they aren’t hard to find

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Not to talk you out of inflatables, but I have started wearing my kayaking life jacket whenever I’m in the boat. I forget I’m wearing it. I use to hardly wear one, and had thought about if I were to get knocked out and the kids were with not the last thing I would need them to remember of me. I thought about inflatables, but remembered how the kayaking was comfortable why not just wear it in the boat.

We need new Kayak vests. Please show me an example or what you have. Thanks!

blank

That’s what I use too, one with mesh shoulders. I had looked at the inflatables but the upfront costs and additional costs of the re-arming kits every 3 years, and the (rare) possible failure to inflate turned me off from them.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipbob_nick wrote:</div>

That’s what I use too, one with mesh shoulders. I had looked at the inflatables but the upfront costs and additional costs of the re-arming kits every 3 years, and the (rare) possible failure to inflate turned me off from them.

i also use the one with the mesh shoulders sometimes instead of the inflatable. I only wear the inflatable if I’m going fishing. If i am just boating i use the mesh shoulders. Good alternative at a lower cost and i also feel better wearing that knowing there isn’t a chance that it wont inflate or keep me afloat.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have the onyx a-24. It works (I tested it) and is easy to change the rearm kit. Got it for under $100 on the internet. I will buy more.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

Yes, please provide a link to what you have. It sounds like it maybe a good alternative.

Rod Bent

I have a Cabelas 3500 and really like it. I jumped in the pool last year to test it and it worked great! The re-arm kit was in stock too. I always have it on because I’m not Jack Be Nimble any more.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

I have the onyx a-24. It works (I tested it) and is easy to change the rearm kit. Got it for under $100 on the internet. I will buy more.

Thanks biggill, I searched for that one, good price, and good reviews.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Second vote for the onyx….love mine.

B-man

I have a Mustang HIT for myself, I love it. If I’m in a boat, it’s on me.

Doesn’t matter if it’s 20 degrees out or 100.

Once you commit to it, they become second nature and feels weird not wearing it.

Life Jackets are like condoms and seatbelts….none of them do you a damn bit of good if you’re not wearing it….

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipbob_nick wrote:</div>

Yes, please provide a link to what you have. It sounds like it maybe a good alternative.

This is what I use for a kayak vest.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-COOL-MESH-PFD/1806479.uts?productVariantId=3738266&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03803065&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246549&ds_rl=1246552&ds_rl=1252242&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4msC8IX7f7yBG5w7Pa6nuqlAceGPdUNQUOCzhO_-RVobMSHrEhyDjNIaAu74EALw_wcB

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

additional costs of the re-arming kits every 3 years,

Keep in mind you don’t have to spend the money on the Co2, just replace the button every 3 years. Mine run 3 for 10 bucks and that will last me 9 years in it’s unopened packaging.

Clothing can not be worn over an inflatable unless it’s a Float Tech.
    I also have traditional PFD’s in my boat if something comes up to keep abiding the law…but the law in my boat is that every person >>wears<< a PFD or the boat doesn’t leave the dock.

Rod Bent

I have the same law, Brian. Just like wearing a seatbelt

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

This is the kayak vest I use. Mainly was due to having cabelas points. There is lighter ones that may be more comfortable for a little more.

Attachments:
    1. A5416108-6F37-43B6-A2F0-F8DE8AA4ACF6.jpeg

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I’d say it’s just like a seatbelt in a car when you wear it all the time it feels weird not wearing it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.