In line ice reels

• Jon Anderson

Looking at buying my first in line reel to go along with my lite flurocarbon line. What’s a decent reel at modest price

maddogg

I have 3 CGI’s,a Clam ice spooler elite,and 3 Descent reels.I prefer the Descent reels.I would chose a reel that has a free fall function and an easily removable spool.If you plan on fishing with light line
    (2-3 lb) you will probable have to tune up the drag on most reels.Maybe not the expensive reels, I wouldn’t know I don’t have any.
    For your first reel I wouldn’t invest a lot of money in a reel until you are sure they are what you want to use.Most are $35-$40 next step up is $75-$90.
    Good Luck

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My best tip would be to look at a reel with a decent drag and something that is not 1:1. Some of the cheaper inline reels have no drag and you have to back reel. My brother started off with something like that and hated inlines until I let him use my BB6061. I like the Black Betty 6061 reel but they are on the high side. There are some great options out there that don’t cost as much. One thing you will also notice with inline reels is they have an off-center balance to them. Some people don’t like that. To counter that I place my reel a little off center so my guides hang straight when I balance it on one finger. I have not noticed a problem with the line building up too much on one side of the spool.

Coletrain27

I have a couple 13 free fall ghost reels. I got them at the end of last season so haven’t had a lot of time testing them yet but they seem like nice reels.

One thing i don’t care for with the inline reels is that they take up a lot more room in my rod case.

I figured I’ll try them more this year and if I don’t like them I’ll sell them and get some more spinning reels. They retail for $75 a Piece but I found a site that had them for $60 last season and scheels matched the price for me.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It seems like all the hype on inline reels has kind of fallen off. I jumped on the bandwagon and have since jumped off. I liked the concept of limiting line twist, but found they just didn’t preform well in outside cold conditions. And yes I replaced the factor grease in them all with Hot sauce. They are also rather heavy and big. I had both a Black Betty and a CGI. After giving then a good try for 1 ice season I ended up switching back to spinning reels.

Sylvanboat

This is what I use for panfish. Drag not great but more than enough for panfish. Very light. You can get on EBay for a couple of bucks. If you like in-line reels you can always trade up. Good luck.

Attachments:
    1. 3F5D36A9-2FA1-47CF-9381-44C595821615.jpeg

Sylvanboat

Here is another of my favorites. Better than the one above and this one is blast with bigger fish. This is a 13 Fishing model.

Attachments:
    1. E78E94D9-A7F7-4C70-9BA1-F8B4CD61C893.jpeg

travis mccolley

I picked up one of the clam drop in lines and I love it.

I have been running the decent reels since they were cgi, and they are pretty good especially for the money.

Thinking of adding a free fall to the mix this year, because why not?

mrpike1973

I had the freefall and the Eagle claw I went back to spinning. I went up one size on the spinning reel less spin. We went back because we used a camera and I used a spinning reel my wife the inline both kept spinning. Just another tool that may work great or may not for you.

Coletrain27

That’s not a bad price if they are good quality like there spinning reels

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’m against littering the lake but the satisfaction I got from throwing my inline POS down the hole was well worth the guilt. Hate em!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I bought 2 combos last year. Free fall ghost reel with the pickletickle stick rod. I reel with my right hand and when I found these I had to have them. On sale for 90 each. I believe they now cost 130. I used and tuned them alot and know they’re my go to panny rods.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20191114_114021015_HDR.jpg

hnd

yeah, when james was using his okuma, i jumped on the bandwagon. okuma, clam spooler, eagle claw, black betty, all the way to freefalls.

all of them had sub par drags, and couldn’t drop a 3mm tungsten jig if their life depended on it without help.

the line twist issue has never really been existant for me. my fishing partner never got the itch to switch and there were rarely times where one outperformed the other. I keep the cheapo eagle claw in the arsenal in case for some reason its needed but it basically sits there untouched. sienna/presidents for me.

vinella

yeah, when james was using his okuma, i jumped on the bandwagon. okuma, clam spooler, eagle claw, black betty, all the way to freefalls.

all of them had sub par drags, and couldn’t drop a 3mm tungsten jig if their life depended on it without help.

the line twist issue has never really been existant for me. my fishing partner never got the itch to switch and there were rarely times where one outperformed the other. I keep the cheapo eagle claw in the arsenal in case for some reason its needed but it basically sits there untouched. sienna/presidents for me.

Okuma makes an inline ice reel?

Boone

Looking at one of these options for new ice gear for this year. Can a person drop down a 2.5 mm or 3mm ice jig on these without helping it down?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20201019-123327_Drive.jpg

hnd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hnd wrote:</div>

Okuma makes an inline ice reel?

okuma makes fly reels which is kind of what got the whole craze started. (some will argue the schooley’s did but schooley’s have been around for ages)

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have the Radioactive Pickle and can say yes it drops small jigs fine, you may have to adjust your freefall settings.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I bought one 3 years ago. Tried it 3 or 4 times and it just wasn’t for me. It’s hanging in the garage now. Had planned on selling it at our garage sale but that didn’t happen because of the Covid. It’s on a Clam rod if anyone is interested. Will sell cheap.

maddogg

Most of the inlines will drop 2.5 to 3mm jigs just make sure the freefall setting is set as low as it will go and use a dry lube

on the spool spindle.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.