Impact 2025XS Experience

• Lucas

Hello,

Looking at purchasing a boat in the next few weeks and curious if anyone has experience with the 2025xs. I really like the layout of the impact and price point, but want to ensure it is well suited for our primary body of water which is Lake of the Woods. Our current boat is an older model 17.5 foot fiberglass which I do feel is a bit small out there at certain times (which I understand can happen to any size/weight boat on that lake).

I know going from glass to aluminum in many’s eyes is a step down for big water performance but am curious if jumping up 3 feet (and 30 years) will be a sizable improvement in performance. The current boat is the only boat we’ve had so we have nothing else to really compare it to. While the price point is great I dont want to make the investment and then play what if with myself in the 3-4 footers out there. At the same price we could get in to a 20 foot glass boat that is 4-5 years old, but then lose out on warranty etc etc.

A buddy of mine runs an 1875 impact and his only complaint with it is he wishes it performed better on windy days. By jumping to the 2025 the hull design goes from the IPS to the IPS2 (found on the Tyee and ProV), but the weight and max hull thickness still lag behind the bigger Tyees and ProV’s at .18 vs .2.

Any insight would be great thanks!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The difference between a 17′ fiberglass and a 20′ aluminum boat with full windshield will be exponential in the wind. I run a 17.5′ fiberglass boat on Pool 4 and think its biggest selling point is its ability to hold course in the strongest of winds. It will hold a line trolling all day in 2′ waves. Some of my friends’ larger aluminum boats with the windshield just cannot do it the same…which is the tradeoff.

If your intentions aren’t trying to troll on windy days I think that boat will be a noticeable step up solely due to space and fishability with more than 1 person on board. If you want to pull cranks 10 miles out on a windy day on LOTW, that boat could resemble a kite.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I believe the 2025 gets a slightly wider beam? I run a 1775 impact XS. It hold fine, but can be a pain in extreme winds. Then again everything is a pain in heavy wind. I stick the nose into it, use the terrova to guide the nose and throw a rear anchor if I’m fishing stationary. Straight up trolling in the wind is fine but you’ll definitely want the 36V most powerful troller you can find.

Lucas

Actually the beam is the same width. The biggest difference I can find is the lengthy, hull is a bit thicker, and the hull goes from the IPS to the IPS2 which I hear some people say makes a difference on plane and others say it tracks better, but not both.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Why not go with a 18 or 19 foot glass boat? If you’ve been in a 17.5′ for years, that will be a big step up, closer in price to a new 2025 and much better for LOW imho.

Lucas

We have looked at a used wx1910, but havent climbed in one. want to be able to have 4+ ppl in there comfortably. Not sure if its as spacious or not. Really like the gunnels on the impact. Seems at the pricepoint its a new aluminum or a used glass.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

1775 Impact XS fishes 4 comfortably IMO. As long as all 4 don’t bring 18 tackle boxes each.

I think anything with Rear jump seats is a huge game changer, because it allows one guy to fish up front, one off each side and one off the rear. When in motion, driver, passenger, and the two jump seats are occupied. On my 1775 the space between the driver and passenger back to the jump seats is incredible. I imagine on a 2025 it’s like a ballroom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.