I'm torn

• Ryan Pahl

Hey all,

New member here and I am glad that I found this site!

So to get to my topic: I am torn between a few houses and would like honest input on what you do or don’t like about a house.

I am looking at the Eskimo Flipmo2 Inferno and the Clam Yukon Thermal. The reason being that I am looking at these houses is that they are in my price range and I like the design/set-up of the house. The only thing is, I cant decide what one I like better because I don’t know anyone who owns either. I currently have an Eskimo Quickflip3 that is just too terribly large for me when I am fishing by myself. The one thing that I do like about it is the standing room and comfort factor, but I cant justify a 3 man house when its usually only me and 1 other person with me most times.

So, if you own either of these houses can you please let me know and pros/cons to the house, what you like the most about it, and any major flaws/construction issues that I could encounter. I am on a budget and these fit within my parameters for spending as I am in the process of selling my non-thermal house right now.

I have looked into Otters and it seems that anything used is going for dang near original sale price on CL. I attached a picture of my 3 man house.

Attachments:
    1. 10922211_957314337614777_203323615_n.jpg

Nicholas Carter
    Saint Cloud, Minnesota

One of the biggest things that I found is that otters really hold their value. I have a Otter XT Pro Cabin. I personally love otter because of how durable they really are. I think that if you spend the extra money (100-150) people are usually happier. Their outer material is worth the money to me alone. Also they are roughly the same weight if not a little less weight than the clam. Not to bash on clam or anything because they make a good product, I don’t think their material holds up like Otters do.

Just my opinion.

Nick Carter

ps0345

I’d try and save a few more dollars and go with an otter, or wait until the Ice Show in a few weeks and see if you can score a deal. We won’t be on the ice anytime soon.

Ryan Pahl

I have noticed that a lot of people on here are pro Otter, (and there’s nothing wrong with that) but I seem to prefer the set-up of Eskimo and Clam better. Maybe someone will sway my opinion? I understand that they are well built and have a higher quality pole system but I highly dislike the idea of bench seats as I do not find them comfortable. Do you know if there is a way to convert a bench set-up Otter to a bucket/swivel seat? Does Otter sell a conversion kit? The Otter with swivel seats is too far out of my price range, thats why I am asking

Thanks

Tonka
    Minnesota

sorry, it’s for the vip, my mistake, its not as cheap as i thought

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I’m interested in this too as I am most likely purchasing the flipmo 2 inferno. Does anyone have this house? Is there enough storage space in the sled for heater, auger, rods, etc?

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Ryan Pahl,

as for the two you are looking at I would say the Clam is better (not saying this because I rep for them at times). the reason I say this is that the thickness of the fabric is 600 denier on the Clam and only 300 denier on the Eskimo. that is the biggest thing different about them. another plus to the clam is that you can get the LED light bar for it and you can clip it or cut it right into the center pole that holds the roof up. the light bar will light up the house as if it was daytime in there after dark.

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

Ryan Pahl,

as for the two you are looking at I would say the Clam is better (not saying this because I rep for them at times). the reason I say this is that the thickness of the fabric is 600 denier on the Clam and only 300 denier on the Eskimo. that is the biggest thing different about them. another plus to the clam is that you can get the LED light bar for it and you can clip it or cut it right into the center pole that holds the roof up. the light bar will light up the house as if it was daytime in there after dark.

Eskimo doesn’t list a denier anywhere on their website for the inferno, but it’s a full thermal, so I would have to think it would be more than 300. Where did you get the information about the denier?

hamms
    Mn

I’d go with the clam out of the 2 but the otter 1200 denier xt pro cabin is just awesome. I bought mine last year and it is built to last.

Ryan Pahl

Thanks for all of the info. Unfortunately I will probably push the purchase of my otter until either tax time or next season. I appreciate the feed back! I am also looking at options for a heater. I currently run a sunflower but find that its not always necessary because of the heat output. What would you recommend out of the 3 options in the Buddy heater line?

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Eskimo doesn’t list a denier anywhere on their website for the inferno, but it’s a full thermal, so I would have to think it would be more than 300. Where did you get the information about the denier?
    [/quote]

it is talked about in their catalog. go to their website and download a copy of the catalog. it is on one of the first few pages in the catalog.

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

it is talked about in their catalog. go to their website and download a copy of the catalog. it is on one of the first few pages in the catalog.
    [/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out! I ordered the flipmo 2 inferno anyways because I got a very good deal on it because of a proform since I sell their products at work. I will let you guys know what I think when I get it put together. I also noticed in the catalog that they talk about the thread count being quite a bit more, so the denier might not matter as much. Ideally I would like an otter, but can’t afford one right now and couldn’t pass up the deal that I got on the Eskimo.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

There’s nothing where he used to lie, The conversation has run dry
    That’s what’s going ooonnnnn, Nothing’s fine, I’m torn

I’m all out of faith, this is how I feeeeel. Cold and I am shamed lying naked on the floor.

Illusion never changed, into something reeeaalll, wide awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn.

You’re a little late
    I’m already tooooorrrrnnnn.

Ryan Crane

Sometimes local small businesses are best.
    Went in and talked to the owner of our lical shop about otter said he will sell me the new otter pro xt1200 thermal tec for 800 plus tax.
    Was going to go get one at the ice show until this plus I’m not spending money on a big business the money stays local and helps the little guy.
    Best part said he would take 1/2 down so i make 2 payments. Helps with bills and Christmas.
    They then remember you and you can bring in customers and he Will give you more deals.

WIN WIN.

SHAKIN’ HIPS AND RIPPIN’ LIPS
    TIGHT LINES

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.